Guitars allowed in cabin of Aircraft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitars allowed in cabin of Aircraft?

Does Anyone Have Experience With Taking musical instruments (specifically guitars) on board in the passenger cabin of an airplane?

My husband has a acoustic guitar (with hardshell case), electric guitar (in soft backpack case), and several ukuleles ( in hardshell cases) to bring with us, Since we're moving back home to Kaneohe in less than 3 weeks. I'm mostly worried about the acoustic guitar. I emailed the airlines (ATA) but got a vague answer what will happen- (cargo baggage or carry on) expecially with airline security regulations tightening without advance warning.

Any Advice? We were thinking about shipping it via USPS- but we're afraid it would just be bounced around from here to there to somewhere else, and get damaged. I know there's risks either way.

Thanks, every bit helps

Re: Guitars allowed in cabin of Aircraft?

Originally posted by Senora View Post
    Does Anyone Have Experience With Taking musical instruments (specifically guitars) on board in the passenger cabin of an airplane?

My husband has a acoustic guitar (with hardshell case), electric guitar (in soft backpack case), and several ukuleles ( in hardshell cases) to bring with us, Since we're moving back home to Kaneohe in less than 3 weeks. I'm mostly worried about the acoustic guitar. I emailed the airlines (ATA) but got a vague answer what will happen- (cargo baggage or carry on) expecially with airline security regulations tightening without advance warning.

Any Advice? We were thinking about shipping it via USPS- but we're afraid it would just be bounced around from here to there to somewhere else, and get damaged. I know there's risks either way.

Thanks, every bit helps
    I've flown quite a bit with my guitars. I don't think they let you carry them on anymore, so I'd suggest getting hardshell cases for all of the instruments. I had to check my electric guitar in a soft case once, and it made it through fine, but I wouldn't do it again. I once sent an 80-lb amplifier through USPS parcel post wrapped in a sleeping bag, so you might consider that option. It cost me $25 with insurance and the amp made it just fine. Good luck!
    Don't be mean,
    try to help.

Comment

It's been my experience from traveling and working in the airline industry that if your carry-on piece exceeds the dimensions set by the airline, you won't be allowed to carry it on board with you. They won't let you get past check-in with the guitar. I've had to gate check some of my carry-ons even though they met the size requirements. It was just too fat to fit in the overhead. They're very anal about stuff like that these days.

According to the ATA website, the dimensions are

B737 & B757 - 9"H x 15"W x 25"D
      L1011 - 9" x 13.5" x 19"

I'd follow jdub's advice and send it via whatever your choice of mail.
      Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
      We're not here to mess around
      Boston, you know we love you madly
      Hear the crowd roar to your sound
      Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
      You know we couldn't live without you
      Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Guitars in hard cases have to go as checked-in baggage. I've seen people carry-on ukuleles and back-packer guitars (jr-sized models) in soft-sided gig bags/cases. Don't check-in guitars in soft cases - these have to securely boxed.

If you ship via USPS, FedEx, UPS, you need to pack it securely, often times double-boxed. Use foam peanuts to fill cavities, foam slabs/blocks on corners. Also, don't forget to loosen the strings (very important).

USPS has size (108") and weight (70 lbs.) limitations. If your parcel exceeds these limits, USPS may take it as an over-sized parcel, but you're going to pay a lot more for shipping it.

Don't forget to insure your parcels.
        Last edited by oceanpacific; October 27, 2006, 07:49 PM. Reason: additional information

Comment

There was a good article in Bass Player mag about shipping instruments:

http://www.bassplayer.com/story.asp?...torycode=15588

Comment

Before September 11, 2001, you could take a guitar on in a gig bag and stick it in the overhead bin. It fit nicely, and if you weren't going far, it worked well. On longer trips, I was allowed to gate-check the guitar in a hard case. I haven't taken it on trips in recent years, though.
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
              I'd follow jdub's advice and send it via whatever your choice of mail.
              This has nothing to do with the topic.

I just have to say that your avatar of Ugly Betty is just so disconcerting.

I love the show, BTW, but the avatar....

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
                This has nothing to do with the topic.

I just have to say that your avatar of Ugly Betty is just so disconcerting.

I love the show, BTW, but the avatar....
                Yep...it's reminiscent of a very awkward and naive Lei Liko, circa 1994.

There an icon out there that I use for my LiveJournal that I really wanted to use here, but the 70 x 70 makes it hard to read the words.

Ok, back to your regularly scheduled thread.
                Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                We're not here to mess around
                Boston, you know we love you madly
                Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                You know we couldn't live without you
                Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
                  Yep...it's reminiscent of a very awkward and naive Lei Liko, circa 1994.
                  Ahh. Been there, done that, many many moons ago.

Maybe that's why I like the show?

Comment

Good luck either way you decide to go. If you decide to check them in make sure you have quality hardshell cases. I had my acoustic in a hardshell case and the airline still managed to break it. Somehow, they must've dropped something REALLY heavy on it and they snapped the headstock off. Of course I didn't find out about it untill after they delivered it along with the rest of my luggage to my final destination 2 days after I got there due to they lost my luggage. Since then, my guitars have been in top quality hardshell cases which I plaster with fragile stickers (that may make them a target though lol)
                    -kp!

Comment

Originally posted by Kungpao View Post
                      Good luck either way you decide to go. If you decide to check them in make sure you have quality hardshell cases. I had my acoustic in a hardshell case and the airline still managed to break it. Somehow, they must've dropped something REALLY heavy on it and they snapped the headstock off. Of course I didn't find out about it untill after they delivered it along with the rest of my luggage to my final destination 2 days after I got there due to they lost my luggage. Since then, my guitars have been in top quality hardshell cases which I plaster with fragile stickers (that may make them a target though lol)
                      Did you loosen the strings before putting it onboard ? If not, that may have caused the headstock to snap. Due to pressures of high altitudes, it's best to detune / loosen your strings considerably (I'm talking really loose).

I used to bring guitars on board all the time, pre-911. Alot of times I had to beg tho'. Used to keep them in the coat closet. or sometimes they would fit overhead.

I'm sure I'd never be able to bring it on board now in this terror fueled environment.

Yet, another way 9-11 has screwed us all.
                      http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                      Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                      Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

went to Hilo last year on HAL...borught a bass guitar ove, but it went on as baggage. just padded it and boxed it..received it in same condition

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
                          Did you loosen the strings before putting it onboard ? If not, that may have caused the headstock to snap. Due to pressures of high altitudes, it's best to detune / loosen your strings considerably (I'm talking really loose).

I used to bring guitars on board all the time, pre-911. Alot of times I had to beg tho'. Used to keep them in the coat closet. or sometimes they would fit overhead.

I'm sure I'd never be able to bring it on board now in this terror fueled environment.

Yet, another way 9-11 has screwed us all.
                          yup.. completely loose for me. Plus there was damage to the case.

Surprisingly, I was able to take it to a Washburn authorized repair facility and they used aircraft adhesive and repaired it. 7 years later... it's still in tact and I'm actually in the process of taking wood filler to it to refinish it. They glued it together but they didn't refinish it so I'm doing that repair now.
                          -kp!

Comment

Originally posted by Kungpao View Post
                            yup.. completely loose for me. Plus there was damage to the case.

Surprisingly, I was able to take it to a Washburn authorized repair facility and they used aircraft adhesive and repaired it. 7 years later... it's still in tact and I'm actually in the process of taking wood filler to it to refinish it. They glued it together but they didn't refinish it so I'm doing that repair now.
                            You DID make them pay for it, I hope.
                            http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                            Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                            Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
                              You DID make them pay for it, I hope.
                              Oh yes, Surprisingly, I was able to get it repaired at the cost of the airline.
                              I suppose that's a Kudos to them for actually admitting fault. Didn't make it any easier on my feelings for them destroying it in the first place.
                              -kp!

Comment

Working...
                              X