X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New smoking ban

Originally posted by blueyecicle View Post
    I don't think Bard smokes...
    Most venues in Oregon excpet Corvallis and Eugene have open smoking. Eugene and Corvallis are very strict..no smoking ANYWHERE....so they have outdoor smoking rooms with heated lights for warmth. It is very expensive to have them built and heated but they do it so they don't lose patronage.
    I live right next to Eugene so the smokers come here! It all works out right or wrong people deal with it.
    Thanks for catching that... I didn't co-relate the first post to the one I responded to ...
    *I edited the post*

Sorry Bard.

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
      If you don’t want to be exposed to smoke, don’t go to bars. Right?
      Nope. Go to a bar that doesn't allow smoking.

Eastside Grill is one example. I'm sure there are others.

It should be up to the owner to take his/her customers' opinions under advisement and make their own decision whether or not to allow smoking.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post
        Nope. Go to a bar that doesn't allow smoking.

Eastside Grill is one example. I'm sure there are others.
        I didn't know that!

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
          What's amazing to me is all the knowledge about how harmful smoking is, and I see kids in their teens smoking up a storm. Just stupid.
          Its not amazing if you think about when you were a teen ager. Try to remember when you were a teen:
          1) Youre dumb but think you know everything
          2) Youre young and think youre invincible, youll have smoke for a little while, youll quit in a litlle bit. Then you find yourself smoking 14 years later and trying to quit.
          3) Plus nicotine is additive.
          Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
            So, what do I think about the new law? Personally, I’m happy about it. But I also understand smokers’ concern about “smoker’s right.”
            I've never understood that arguement: Smokers Right. As I understand it there is nothing in the US Constitution regarding the right to smoke in public places. Unless a smoker can successfully argue that smoking is a part of their religion or cultural heritage I can't imagine that "Right" sticking in court of law.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
              Thanks for catching that... I didn't co-relate the first post to the one I responded to ...
              *I edited the post*

Sorry Bard.
              Hah, it's all good. Yeah I meant that the other way around, I don't go to most music shows here because they allow smoking. You had a good idea anyway though, I thought.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                I've never understood that arguement: Smokers Right. As I understand it there is nothing in the US Constitution regarding the right to smoke in public places. Unless a smoker can successfully argue that smoking is a part of their religion or cultural heritage I can't imagine that "Right" sticking in court of law.
                I agree. And I know of no profession that allows an alcoholic his/her 15min breaks on the job to go outside and get his/her buzz on, because of drinker's rights.

Smoking is a freedom, and a restricted one at that, not a right.

pax

Comment

Where are the statistics documenting the harm in outdoor second hand smoke? This is the latest craze here. Banning outdoor smoking. Old folks homes are full of smoking octogenerians. Let's go after public farting.
                  “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                  http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin View Post
                    [...]Let's go after public farting.
                    Now there's something I can get 'behind'!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                      Now there's something I can get 'behind'!

Personally, I'd prefer to be ahead of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent View Post
                        Its not amazing if you think about when you were a teen ager. Try to remember when you were a teen:
                        1) Youre dumb but think you know everything
                        2) Youre young and think youre invincible, youll have smoke for a little while, youll quit in a litlle bit. Then you find yourself smoking 14 years later and trying to quit.
                        3) Plus nicotine is additive.

All good points....

Here's the difference with me I guess. My mom smoked all throughout my childhood, probably when she was pregnant with me...that explains alot :-)...
                        ANYWAY...

When I was about 6, my mom was on the phone, and of course, there was the ubiquitous cigarette in the ash tray. Well, you know how when your mom was on the phone, you can get away with all kinds of stuff, because they were so distracted? Well, right in front of her, I picked the cigarette up out of the ash tray, took a puff, and proceeded to gag and choke from the vile "taste"....

I still remember that disgusting taste to this day, and have never touched a cigarette since.

Inadvertantly, and unbeknownst to her, my mom instilled the "you shouldn't smoke" ethic in me for life...

Ironically, after 40 years of smoking she quit cold turkey, and later that year, she found out she had lung cancer, which had spread to her brain and lots of other places...18 months later she died.

Phillip Morris ? F*&K Them.

Also, I think in this day and age to be a kid smoking is still dumb. When I was growing up in the 70's there were no bans, and very little anti smoking advertising. Also, despite growing up with drugged out rock stars for heroes, I manage to never try anything but pot and hash....no acid, no coke, no speed, no heroin....I guess some people have more of an attraction to things that are bad for them than me.

Either way, I am ALL FOR banning smoking....tobacco anyways
                        http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                        Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                        Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                          Well, my take on it is that smoking is not an illegal activity. Just as drinking alcohol - a dangerous, yet legal, activity itself.

Why the ban on something that's legal? Makes no sense to me at all.

Like I and others have said countless times - if you don't like smoke, don't work at or go into places that allow it. Pretty simple, huh? I have yet to hear any kind of lucid rebuttal to that.

I'm sure places will find ways around the law, and I'll be sure to patronize them just on principle. I wonder if tobacco retailers can serve alcohol? Just turn all bars into "tobacco stores."

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
                          I agree. And I know of no profession that allows an alcoholic his/her 15min breaks on the job to go outside and get his/her buzz on, because of drinker's rights.
                          That doesn't make much sense. For one thing, alcohol and nicotine are completely different. Who shows up to work under the influence of alcohol? (Ok, no need to answer that one...) And businesses don't have to allow their employees routine cigarette breaks, but they do have to allow them breaks. What employees do on those breaks is up to them.

Comment

Originally posted by dick View Post
                            [...]Like I and others have said countless times - if you don't like smoke, don't work at or go into places that allow it. Pretty simple, huh? I have yet to hear any kind of lucid rebuttal to that.[...]
                            Not a rebuttal, rather, a curiousity question...
                            What if I'm employed in my dream job and I've been there for quite awhile, making great money, have set down roots in the community, am in it for the long haul...and a new employee who smokes is hired? Then what?

It's much easier to not patronize an establishment that allows smoking but much more difficult to find another good job. A non-smoking employee shouldn't be forced into making that decision.

And, no...I'm not in that situation as I own my company!
                            Last edited by tutusue; October 30, 2006, 09:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                              Not a rebuttal, rather, a curiousity question...
                              What if I'm employed in my dream job and I've been there for quite awhile, making great money, have set down roots in the community, am in it for the long haul...and a new employee who smokes is hired? Then what?

It's much easier to not patronize an establishment that allows smoking but much more difficult to find another good job. A non-smoking employee shouldn't be forced into making that decision.

And, no...I'm not in that situation as I own my company!
                              What if I'm employed in my dream job and I've been there for quite awhile, making great money, have set down roots in the community, am in it for the long haul...and the company decides I have to quit smoking or lose my job. This is happening now.
                              “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                              http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Well, my take on it is that smoking is not an illegal activity. Just as drinking alcohol - a dangerous, yet legal, activity itself.
                                The main difference between cigarettes and alcohol with regards to how it affects another person in an enclosed environment is simple....
                                Opening a bottle of beer or wine cannot cause someone else in the room any allergic irritation or health risk....there's no such thing as "second hand drunk". Being that smoke cannot be physically contained, and is harmful to your health is the main proponent here. And being that these places are "public", that means everyone. Agree or not, that is the argument.

Why the ban on something that's legal? Makes no sense to me at all.

Like I and others have said countless times - if you don't like smoke, don't work at or go into places that allow it. Pretty simple, huh? I have yet to hear any kind of lucid rebuttal to that.
                                See my seatbelt argument above...it's about saving lives, and promoting better health for the overall populus

I'm sure places will find ways around the law, and I'll be sure to patronize them just on principle. I wonder if tobacco retailers can serve alcohol? Just turn all bars into "tobacco stores."
                                Just on principle ? Well that says alot about you.

But I will agree with you on one thing. maybe having a Tobacco and Alcohol Establishment law is a workable solution. Places where you can go to smoke and/or drink, with laws pertaining to those things. But as far as having smoking in restaurants, malls and workplaces, I say it should be banned.
                                http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                                Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                                Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Working...
                                X