Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New smoking ban

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    But Tim if all parents had good instincts we wouldn't need CPS right?
    Since you brought it up, I'd like to add my opinion on CPS. Nothing against you, though!!

CPS did more damage to the core of families in Hawaii than good. The people making decisions were social workers (many from the mainland) with NO children. But yes, they did have degrees. I suppose reading a textbook and getting questions correct qualified an individual to decide the life of not just a child but the whole family (and sometimes extended family). After four years of working for CPS, I got fed up and left.

As for the smoking ban, I am sick of the government (or anyone else) telling me how to raise my kids and what I can and cannot do around them. They are never around when the child has a bad dream and needs comforting. They are never around when my child gets really sick and needs extra care. They do not feed or clothe my children nor do they work to put a roof over their heads. They did not pay for my car, they do not pay for my registration, safety check, maintenance or insurance. They do not take any time off to go to my child's parent teacher conference... etc. etc. etc.. Why all of a sudden they feel the need to tell me what I can do when I'm getting NOTHING in return.

Oh, I feel better now. Thanks for reading..
    A proud sponsor of
    http://www.haleamano.com

Comment

I think there should be a smoking area at the airport after one goes through security. C'mon, these people are our guests! Some of them fly in and need to catch a connecting flight. They are on vacation, give 'em a little place to enjoy their vice.

I am an ex-smoker. Ten years or so.
      You can apply any terms to any situation to suit your perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by Mililani View Post
        I am sick of the government (or anyone else) telling me how to raise my kids and what I can and cannot do around them. --- They are never around when my child gets really sick and needs extra care. They do not feed or clothe my children nor do they work to put a roof over their heads.
        Consider yourself fortunate, then, as there are many, many cases where families are dependent upon valuable government social assistance programs to keep their children clothed, fed, healthy and sheltered - particularly in tough economic times such as these.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
          Consider yourself fortunate, then, as there are many, many cases where families are dependent upon valuable government social assistance programs to keep their children clothed, fed, healthy and sheltered - particularly in tough economic times such as these.
          I do, and I remember to say my thank you's everyday. I remember, not too long ago applying at over 100 different establishments and getting one or two interviews. The problem was everyone was applying too. Out of a job for over 8 months and my savings was nearly depleted. I took a job that paid less than what I was getting paid before just so we could have some kind of income coming in. We cut back on eating out or going to the movies, etc., until things got a little better. It hasn't always been easy, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

OK, off topic again SORRY!
          A proud sponsor of
          http://www.haleamano.com

Comment

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100608...20100608065145
            Does smoking make you look cool?

Comment

Originally posted by douglas View Post
              Lets me see. There has been on activity on this tread since March 19th. The bozos from the Hawaii Bar Owners Association and the Hawaii Smokers Alliance have not been too successful to repealing the no smoking law. The legislature continues to raise cigarette taxes. I guess the question is do we really need this thread anymore? Perhaps its time for us to write about other things?
              I think you actually are concerned that a repeal might actually happen or why even mention it? My question is why do the bozos from the professional anti-smoking lobbyist groups even show up at the hearings if it is already "in the bag". If you have watched the anti-smoking lobby testimony, you can see the fear in their eyes that their scam is being exposed. You can also see a growing number of lawmakers fed up with the dishonest practices by the anti-smoking lobby and tourism losses the ban has caused.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                There are bad parents that give kids alcohol and drugs too. It's a shock image used by antis however. The real target of the anti-smoking groups is adult bans and tax increases on adults.
                Last edited by AlohaKine; June 17, 2010, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AlohaKine View Post
                  The real target of the anti-smoking groups is adult bans and tax increases on adults.
                  http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/2...rette_tax.html
                  The cigarette tax increase, aimed at reducing smoking, goes up 40 cents to $3 a pack from $2.60, pushing the average retail cost of cigarettes to $7.79 a pack. For smokers with a pack-a-day habit, the cost of cigarettes will be about $2,800 a year.
                  I wish I could get a few smokers to donate the cost of their cigarettes to my family's "college fund" for our kids. Just 4 smokers would come up to over $10,000 per year!
                  Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

NPR passed the word yesterday that a new $1.60 per pack tax begins today in New York so that a pack will cost almost $11 - a little more than 50 cents a stick.

Comment

The good news about higher and higher prices for cigarettes is the birth of a black market driven by violence and profits.

Expanding the war on drugs is so good for our society.
                      FutureNewsNetwork.com
                      Energy answers are already here.

Comment

I'm always fascinated by the blatant cognitive dissonance displayed by ciggy smokers who claim to be against the War on Drugs.

Drug Court and treatment centers in general are chock full of these kinds of idiots.

How crazy is it to have a drug counseling session that allows a 15 minute break for some folks to go outside and smoke drugs.
                        FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

when do we classify coffee as a drug? Legalized speed...

Comment

Speed kills. Drink Coffee.
                            Uh, I mean just say no to drugs like alcohol, cigarettes, and aspirin.
                            Uhhh,,,,,
                            I mean when I was a kid a frying egg smelled like breakfast.

The War on Drugs is simply not defensible when viewed through the lens known as LOGIC.
                            FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

Here is the lowdown on how lethal second hand smoke is.
                              Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                                Here is the lowdown on how lethal second hand smoke is.
                                I don't believe it -- it's probably just propaganda. I tried to follow links to get to some actual evidence, but the link in the news story to the WHO study just points back to this very same USA news story.
                                Greg

Comment

Working...
                                X