Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New smoking ban

New smoking law may shock many businesses

As a non-smoker and mildly asthmatic, I of course applaud it. I appreciate that people might want to smoke, and I'm cool with that, but I like this analogy (apologies for The Gross )

I'm sitting at a restaurant and a guy walks over and starts peeing on the table. Maybe nothing happens besides staining the carpet and making the place smell, but it's gross anyway... and maybe a little splashes in my water or something. Wha, you wanna take away my right to pee!?

So... yeah. What do you guys think?

Re: New smoking ban

Originally posted by Bard View Post
    [...]So... yeah. What do you guys think?
    My office, home and car have been smoke free zones for decades as I'm allergic to cigarette smoke. No exceptions to my rule, either! Not even for my chain smoking parents when they were still alive. I've never smoked but do not begrudge those who want to mess with their health. Just don't mess with mine.

Just yesterday I received a most unexpected phone call from a friend. She was calling from Kaiser Moanalua where she'd been for a week, not telling anyone except her 2 young adult girls (18 & 21). The diagnosis...metastatic cancer thruout her lungs and now closing her trachea. Inoperable. She's not a smoker. She called to ask me to be her advocate for when she can no longer make decisions and to help her pull her financial life together, estate-wise. She does not want the onus of 'pulling the plug' put on her kids. She also asked me to be a continuing female influence in her daughters lives. So, yah, I'm very in favor of the new smoking ban but it's years too late for my friend who is also a single mother. The father abandoned the girls and the 2 sons he had by a previous marriage.

Smoking sucks...literally.

Comment

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...610290364.html

I am just ECSTATIC about it!!.

Nuff said!!. =)

No offenese to smokers, but as an individual non smoker, I value my health very much, more so than money & food!!.

I hate to see (& smell) smokers who are so SELFISH, broad minded,
      NON sympathetic towards NON smokers that could care less about other people's health!!.

If you want to keep smoking, killing yourself faster (inside), & develop cancer much quicker than others, THEN FINE!!, just don't do it around us non smokers!!.

We do actually value our health!!.

I am so glad that Ban has taken into affect & will actually be legall for once.

Once the night clubs will be smoke free etc...

I will start going to them again (when I have the time), & wont beable to suffer with my health any more.

I have friends who do smoke, but atleast they are considerate about my health, as oppose to other people in this world !!.

By the way....

My hubby's mom died from cancer, & his dad was smoking. He stoped, once he found out that he could develope it aswell, since he staid stoped, he is continuing to have a better life, & living a lot longer now =).

I figure, people like my hubby's dad, if he can stop, everyone else can stop, too. Providing that they would want to stop themselves!.

Origially posted by tutusue -
      Smoking sucks...literally.

Yeah!!. I'm with you, on that!!.
      Last edited by Serenity; October 29, 2006, 11:09 AM.
      Aches & Pains
      (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

I'm all for it. Smoking sucks the life out of more than smokers, but those who have to walk through their exhaled clouds.

What will it mean? Maybe more people will quit. Maybe more people will smell better. Maybe more people will be at work more often. Maybe health care rates will come down. Maybe fewer teenagers will take up smoking. Maybe the stars of Honoluluwood will stop smoking in their made-in-Hawaii movies.

Moving smokers out of buildings is not a solution. Those of us who have to walk through the gamut of smokers that hangout in doorways are still afflicted.

I have a friend who is on this list who smokes (you know who you are!) and when I would talk to him outside while he's having a cigarette, I could tell he was trying to shield it from me, but it was still getting to me. Without apologies, I want people who smoke to feel uncomfortable about their habit, especially if it actually makes them say "Pho this!" And stubb out their last cigarette for good.
        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Doh, I haven't had nearly as many personal problems with it, sorry to hear about you guys' friends!

I thought it was really cool to read the commentary in the article about how a lot of people were taking it as an excuse to finally quit.

'Course as with almost anything there's a law of unintended consequences even if a person smokes inside their home. They are more likely to develop diseases from it and require more health care, which drives up health care costs for everyone. I've never been a smoker myself, but I'd assume the insurance people also charge more for smokers for that reason.

Comment

We have that 20 feet rule in Eugene and any public place here.
            My husband smokes.
            I hate smoking but I totally disagree with the law. Government run places or owned places fine but privately funded places no. Don't agree it is too general for me But that's just me. It's cool if people love the law because in the end it is the majority that rules I suppose.
            I get sick smelling smoke and my throat hurts and my kids have asthma, so I don't take them anywhere near it.
            Since when is psycho a bad thing??
            Sharing withother survivors...
            www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

I don't smoke. But I agree with this paragraph from the story:

While reaction to the new law appears largely positive — many establishments say they welcome the ban and don't expect it to hurt their bottom lines — some contend the government should not be in the business of regulating smoking in bars, nightclubs or other adult-only hangouts.
              Smoking is still legal. If the owner of a particular business wants to allow it, that's their perogative. The government has no reason to mess with private enterprise.

You don't like the fact that a particular business allows smoking? DON'T PATRONIZE IT.

At least there's a provision for "retail tobacco stores" in the law. Maybe Honolulu will see a few more smokers' lounges springing up around town.

Comment

I'm a smoker and I don't mind the law. I don't have a problem with going somewhere else to smoke when I'm in a bar or restaurant. In fact, I would rather people not smoke in the restaurant when I'm eating. The problem I have is with the wording of the law. It has so many loopholes that it's worse than a Kona Crab net.

The funniest thing about the law is that the state gives the police the right to issue fines or warnings. Anyone see the humor in this or is it just me? Anyone who's lived in this state for more than a couple years knows that the C&C of Honolulu and the state don't get along. And all of the counties don't like to be told what to do by the state. So enforcement of the law is going to be the real problem.

The other problem with the law is that the legislature did not take into account smokers rights. I'm sure that there will be several challenges to the law somewhere down the line backed by the ACLU and there will be some amendment stating ... "except for publicly designated smoking areas" ... thrown into the mix.
                You can take the boy out of Hilo but you can't take the Hilo out of the boy!

Comment

Count me in cuz I'm thankful for this new ordinance, too. Or wait, state law?

I never smoked beyond pot thirty years ago, but hubby smoked for 35 or whatever years and finally, almost miraculously after having stopped many times to pick it up again, he's just had his first one yr. anniversary of being smoke free. he says he feels better, more energy, doesn't miss the coughing spells, digs having more pocket money and what he told me is that being around people that stink like ciggies still makes him wish for one. Of course being around the smoke itself almost tortures him, and so the less he has to encounter the better chance he has of never picking them up again.

My mom died of lung cancer and had smoked 47yrs, then in that 47th. year she developed WET macular degeneration and was legally blind in one eye in maybe a month, then doc said her breathing was even worse and that she had the start of emphysema, and yep, then the tumor in the lung. They took out the upper half of that lung only to have her have three tumors in her liver nine mos later.

Dad died of heart disease after smoking since he was a teen eleven years before her. The tragedy beyond this is that they were two of the kindest, most patient parents and grandparents, dad an elected city councilman for three terms, both of them in the business world and the type of people that even after work would run to the hospital to visit a friend, relative, coworker, run to the store for them and what I am not saying so well is that two very giving, caring and productive people died early cuz of smoking. He died at 59 and she died at 66.

I hope this new law helps more people stop that hadn't succeeded before.
                  Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post
                    You don't like the fact that a particular business allows smoking? DON'T PATRONIZE IT.
                    That's what I usually do here. Sadly that means that I can't go to about 90% of the music shows and such that come to town. A few venues don't allow smoking, but a lot do.

Comment

To help provide rights to both smokers and non smokers, maybe they should install smoking booths for public areas? Bascially, large glass rooms where smokers can do their thing and then go about their business. Japan has a few of these in their crowded cities.

Comment

Here in LA, once the smoking ban was installed, it made going out so much more pleasureable. I've been to other places in the world that don't ban smoking, and I can't even stay in the room. Nice to see Hawaii follow suit.

One thing it does do, is it makes the smoker think about how their habit affects other people. I know smokers that don't even smoke in their own house anymore...they go outside They know how gross it is, and that the smell doesnt go away. Also, smokers also have a little social click now when they do go out to places, cos they all have to go outside...it becomes a "thing".

I've had that argument about a proprieter's right to not be goverened in his/her own establishment with someone once...it went around and around, it's a no win argument. It's kind of like the seat belt argument...If it's YOUR car and YOUR life, why should it be LAW to wear one ?

I for one wouldn't go to a place to eat where there was smoking, but I still the support the ban. Maybe that's very UN-freedom-of-choice of me...so be it.

What's amazing to me is all the knowledge about how harmful smoking is, and I see kids in their teens smoking up a storm. Just stupid.
                        http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                        Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                        Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by Bard View Post
                          That's what I usually do here. Sadly that means that I can't go to about 90% of the music shows and such that come to town. A few venues don't allow smoking, but a lot do.
                          Here is an idea for *Edit* people that do have problems not being able to go something because they want to smoke but now they can't*edit*
                          Purchase a pack of Nicotine Patches...and everytime a Music show comes into town... put on a patch so that you don't have that need.... I think they sell them 14 per pack...that gives you at least one show per month that you can go to...

For smokers here in Hawaii...this shouldn't be to much of a problem as the weather is generally pretty good most of the time...and you can use an umbrella to go outside if it is raining.

I feel sorry for the mainland smokers that have to go outside in say "Pittsburg" in the middle of the winter when it's 10 degrees out!

I'm all for the law though... anything to make it easier for the non-smokers.

I took in enough 2nd hand smoke from my mom growing up w/out ever being able to say anything that I know it's a touchy issue for those smokers....

Now my mom isn't allowed to smoke in my place or around my baby... because I can say what goes on in my place now...

Sad though... even though mom currently has a form of cancer...she still continues to smoke...
                          A trippier thing... I remember her working at a state office back in the 70's and her as well as other co-workers smoking at their desks!
                          Last edited by damontucker; October 29, 2006, 07:12 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

I am a non-smoker. For years and years, I used to go to bars and found myself the only non-smoker amid a cloud of smoke, most of it coming from my chain-smoking friends. But I accepted it ... because it was a BAR, for Christ’s sake!

Then one day, I developed a persistent cough. I was diagnosed with asthma or, to be more precise, a recurrence of asthma. I used to have childhood asthma, but thought I had outgrown it. I refused to accept the diagnosis (it didn’t seem the same as I remembered it from childhood—I was just coughing!), so I kept going back to the bars, and my asthma kept getting worse and worse, and became more and more like what I remembered from childhood, until it became life-threatening. There were a couple of times when I thought I would die. Every time I entered a bar, my asthma would flare up big time. Finally, I accepted my diagnostic reality, and stopped going to bars. That was over ten years ago. I haven’t entered a bar since.

So, what do I think about the new law? Personally, I’m happy about it. But I also understand smokers’ concern about “smoker’s right.” I really do. I always accepted the fact that bars were for smokers. If you don’t want to be exposed to smoke, don’t go to bars. Right? If there’s a group of smokers taking a break outside a building, just hold your breath and step around them. Right? If you’re at Aloha Stadium during a UH football game and want to stretch your legs, hurry on past the outer walkway and place yourself at the outer rim of the spiral staircase to drink in the fresh air. Right?

I don’t want to criminalize smoking. Many of my friends (and family members) are smokers. My smoker family members go outside to smoke to keep the smoke away from me and the kids, and I really appreciate that. I just hope this new law makes people think more about the consequences of smoking—to others and to themselves.

So now that smoking will be banned from bars beginning November 16, I guess I can finally start bar-hopping again! But then again, that’s another vice to worry about, isn’t it?

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
                              Here is an idea for you Bard...

Purchase a pack of Nicotine Patches...and everytime a Music show comes into town... put on a patch so that you don't have that need.... I think they sell them 14 per pack...that gives you at least one show per month that you can go to...
                              I don't think Bard smokes...
                              Most venues in Oregon excpet Corvallis and Eugene have open smoking. Eugene and Corvallis are very strict..no smoking ANYWHERE....so they have outdoor smoking rooms with heated lights for warmth. It is very expensive to have them built and heated but they do it so they don't lose patronage.
                              I live right next to Eugene so the smokers come here! It all works out right or wrong people deal with it.
                              Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                              Sharing withother survivors...
                              www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Working...
                              X