Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New smoking ban

SA reports on smoking ban:

Smoking will be banned at all city parks, beaches and bus stops under bills passed by the Honolulu City Council this morning.

Mayor Kirk Caldwell has stated he supports the intent of both bills and is expected to sign them.

The bans will take effect Jan. 1 to allow for public education and time for the city to put up signs about the bans.

A majority of the testifiers of Bill 25, which bans smoking at Oahu’s 293 city-owned parks and beaches, supported the bill although there was a smattering of people against it.
    I find it interesting to read online testimony for certain bills. I've noticed for that for smoking bans, there is often one side that presents facts and studies, while the other side resorts to sort of name-calling-tactics and mini-rants. When will the ranters figure out that if they presented a better focused effort, they might get their message across more successfully?

Anyway, another good day of helping insure a cleaner and healthier environment for those who are out in public.
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

I saw this today while at the airport, about Hawaii Island news: The legal age to buy tobacco products (increasing from age 18 to 21) is under consideration by the Hawaii Island County Council. Is this the first step in getting a state-wide change to the minimum age for purchase? It makes me sad when I see a young person smoking, filling their lungs with smoke. It cannot be good for them, no matter how much some people want to deny that putting cr@p in your lungs is unhealthy.

Comment

Outlaw smoking, guns, swimming with sharks, driving, drugs,....

FUGIT, let's just outlaw everything! Outlaw the Bill of Rights, the president, the constitution, life,... everything.

I'm tired of Other People (OP) controlling my life.
        Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
        ~ ~
        Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
        Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
        Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
          Outlaw smoking, guns, swimming with sharks, driving, drugs,....

FUGIT, let's just outlaw everything! Outlaw the Bill of Rights, the president, the constitution, life,... everything.

I'm tired of Other People (OP) controlling my life.
          Dang, now I'm gona' be stuck all night with visions of you packing heat, a ciggie dangling from your lips, driving while taking a handful of drugs, headed to the bay to swim with the sharks.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
            I saw this today while at the airport, about Hawaii Island news: The legal age to buy tobacco products (increasing from age 18 to 21) is under consideration by the Hawaii Island County Council. Is this the first step in getting a state-wide change to the minimum age for purchase? It makes me sad when I see a young person smoking, filling their lungs with smoke. It cannot be good for them, no matter how much some people want to deny that putting cr@p in your lungs is unhealthy.
            I don’t think you will be able to stop kids from smoking as long as adults are allowed to smoke in their vicinity. Kids get addicted to cigarettes by second hand smoke. As they get older and spend more time away from their parents they take up smoking to feed their addiction.
            "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone."
            Ayn Rand

Comment

Ciggies, the real gateway drug.
              https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

SA reports on smoking ban:

I find it interesting to read online testimony for certain bills. I've noticed for that for smoking bans, there is often one side that presents facts and studies, while the other side resorts to sort of name-calling-tactics and mini-rants. When will the ranters figure out that if they presented a better focused effort, they might get their message across more successfully?

Anyway, another good day of helping insure a cleaner and healthier environment for those who are out in public.
                It's clear that one side (the anti-smoking people had money from the settlement agreement to spend and "donate") and the other side lacked a 3/4 of million dollars in lobbying funds to buy success. No surprise to me what happened. All the easier to do as soon as Kirk Caldwell who personally loathes people who smoke got in office. Kirk-pay-for-play-Caldwell knows this game all too well.

Comment

Originally posted by 68-eldo View Post
                  I don’t think you will be able to stop kids from smoking as long as adults are allowed to smoke in their vicinity. Kids get addicted to cigarettes by second hand smoke. As they get older and spend more time away from their parents they take up smoking to feed their addiction.
                  Word up to potential tourists 18-20.99, avoid the big island.

Comment

Originally posted by AlohaKine View Post
                    It's clear that one side (the anti-smoking people had money from the settlement agreement to spend and "donate") and the other side lacked a 3/4 of million dollars in lobbying funds to buy success. No surprise to me what happened.
                    Perhaps part of the anti-smoking group's money goes into educating the public testifiers on how to give an effect message in their testimony? If so, it has been money well spent. Especially when their testimony is compared to the "other side's".

Comment

http://health.yahoo.net/articles/smo...ages-your-skin

Now, will you stop smoking?

Comment

Well if that article on "See How Smoking Prematurely Ages the Skin" doesn't encourage a smoker to stop, maybe this one will:

"Smoking Causes Impotence". WebMD states, "Men who smoke are about twice as likely to develop ED than nonsmokers."

Smoking men, if a woman asks "do you smoke?", you might wonder if she's read a similar article.
                        Last edited by Amati; October 31, 2013, 01:10 AM.

Comment

Smoking men, if a woman asks "do you smoke?", you might wonder if she's read a similar article.
                          Generally, no one asks that question anyway - you can smell it on 'em well in advance. So, if as Amati suggests, a woman asks that question ... yeah, she knows EXACTLY why she's asking.

Comment

StarAdvertiser breaking news:

The Big Island is now the only county in the state to restrict tobacco sales to those who are 21 years or older.

Mayor Billy Kenoi signed the bill Thursday, which sets the minimum age a customer must be to purchase tobacco products. The law goes into effect July 1.

West Hawaii Today reports the measure doesn't make it illegal for young people to smoke but penalizes retail stores for selling tobacco products such as cigarettes, cigars and electronic cigarettes. Selling to underage customers can result in a $500 fine for the first offense and up to $2,000 for subsequent offenses.
                            Good that they "got it right" in not criminalizing the youths who smoke, but rather that the law focuses on the point of purchase. Yep, it is easy enough for a clerk to ask for ID, and that makes it easy to not sell to under 21 years.

Another check mark for trying to keep the youth out of the clutches of the tobacco companies.

Comment

Good that they "got it right" in not criminalizing the youths who smoke
                              There's plenty of ways to continue smoking as a youth without dealing with a clerk, so giving kids a free pass may not help the issue much. Outside of my first pack at 11 I never bought from a store, but back then there were tons of vending machines.
                              https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Working...
                              X