New smoking ban

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
    nimrod? How old are you, Mr. Keyboard Courage? I am on your side on this argument, yet between the two of us, I am not letting my big head getting in the way of making my point.
    I thought you had the "sarcastic" key on.....

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
    Auntie, you pegged it 100%!

I respect opinions, it is one of the gifts of being human. Different opinions can help things change for the better, but constant negative input accomplishes nothing.

It is funny to see someone call a group of people selfish while they are trying to pound an opinion into someone else's thoughts. Who is really selfish?
    So let's be positive and continue to enable all addicts to keep spreading their destructive behavior to others.....oh, and by the way, it's not an opinion, it's a fact. Do your homework please.

Comment

• Re: New smoking ban

Okay so this thread is obviously becoming a flame on Gent...We all have opinions even if it's based on facts. But even armed with cold hard facts, you can't bitch slap the world into submission. Try that with your friends and family and see how far you get.

Gent, believe it or not but many of us here on this board agree that smoking isn't a good thing and should be banned (if not in certain areas). If you cannot see that well that's your issue. I assume many have already put you on their ignore list and can't see your responses and if you keep up this narrow-focused attack on smokers and keep hitting on those who support the ban you're gonna find yourself posting to yourself instead of to the masses that need to hear diplomatic ways of dealing with smoking in public.

It's your choice...and Pua'i Mana'o, you're right about the kids but I grew up with a mom who smoked several packs of Kool and Kents everywhere with me right there with her, both in the womb and in the car and the home. The secret was to hold your breath

Anyway AlohaKine is probably either laughing at this whole thread or has put Gent on Ignore by now.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

• Re: New Smoking Ban is a Joke

Originally posted by Gent
        You don't "engage" smokers in dialog, you simply bitch slap them into submission!
        Oooooh, I'm scared.
        I'm a smoker, and I'm damned considerate of others. Whatcha gonna do about it, troll?
        Keep up the threats and the insults, and your mommy will stop giving you your allowance.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

• Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
          Oooooh, I'm scared.
          I'm a smoker, and I'm damned considerate of others. Whatcha gonna do about it, troll?
          Keep up the threats and the insults, and your mommy will stop giving you your allowance.
          You're a walking health hazard. I know you want to give it up. It's no good to yourself and others. Today's a great day for quitting! Do it! I know you have the strength....

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
          Anyway AlohaKine is probably either laughing at this whole thread or has put Gent on Ignore by now.
          The ones that put me on ignore are cowards that can't face reality. Never knew this forum had so many of them....the people of Hawaii used to be strong and proud.

Comment

Originally posted by Gent
            The ones that put me on ignore are cowards that can't face reality. Never knew this forum had so many of them....the people of Hawaii used to be strong and proud.
            Speaking of which, o boy-of-bravery, why haven't you answered Pua`i Mana`o's question yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
              Speaking of which, o boy-of-bravery, why haven't you answered Pua`i Mana`o's question yet?
              I don't give out personal information and anyone suggesting to do so, is obviously on pakalolo. Get with the program, please.

Comment

Originally posted by Gent View Post
                I don't give out personal information
                Tsk. A coward who can't face reality. "Strong and proud," right. And fearful that revealing his youth will reveal so much to an online community. But not afraid to hide behind the computer in mom's basement, while telling others how to live their lives.

Check back in with us when your spine is installed, would ya?

Comment

Get with the program, please.
                  Hey jackass, it's pretty clear that you're the one who needs to get with the program.

I'm not a smoker, but I'd gladly light one in front of you to see you try to "bitch slap" me.

Was in L.A. earlier this year. I saw smokers on street corners and in parking lots, just as I do here in Hawaii now that the ban is in effect.

Seems to me like you're just trying to stir up crap.

Come down Palolo Housing and "bitch slap" me. I dare you.

You're probably just some punk teenager hiding behind a computer screen. On the mainland, no less.

Comment

I thought you had the "sarcastic" key on.....

So let's be positive and continue to enable all addicts to keep spreading their destructive behavior to others.....oh, and by the way, it's not an opinion, it's a fact. Do your homework please.
                    Wow, "Gent", even the folks that are opposed to smoking are ticked at you. I've just sat back and watched.

53,000 second hand smoke deaths a year? Only 3000 are alledged to be from lung cancer. Of that 2000 are ex-smokers. The EPA study it came from is junk science anywhys, violated the radon act, and was exposed as that in federal court.
                    So what's "killing" the other 50,000? Well it's not emphsysma, you gotta smoke a LOT to get that. Heart Attacks, even active smoking is just one of about ten co-morbidities, such a obesity, family history, hypertension, old age, ect. So if an obese guy dies of a heart attack at 80 and he's sometimes around SHS, blame it on smoking alone and add him to the list.

The AHA claims that if you pass a "smoke free law", heart attack rates will drop a hugh 40%. The "study" was done in a small city that was hand picked. Six heart attacks this month and now with the ban it's now 4. Total B.S. The numbers from large states with bans show no significant change and sometimes even went up. It tells me that SHS is not a threat to a person's life or there'd be people dropping like flies in bars and clubs.

The thing is that the antis don't care if it is true or not as long as it sells their ban to the lawmakers. Sadly most lawmakers don't even question even the most ridiculous studies as long as a health lobbist group testifies to them. Turth is that the antis just don't like the smell or it annoys them.

World defience day went well on Sunday at the Irish Pub. I blazed through a whole pack inside. Nobody complained and everybody loved it. It was done to support the defience day in the U.K. Too bad the airport terror attack stole the headlines in the U.K.

Comment

This is what the Coalition for a Tobacco Free Hawaii's spokesman and policy director thinks about the service industry. He said it in print last week.

" '... the possible hazards of being around cigarette smoke. If I [ a bartender being interviewed ] was worried about it, I'd work somewhere else'.
                      Massengale [ policy director ] says that's a common but bogus argument for detractors. ' There are a lot of people who don't really have a choice,' he says. 'There's a reason why they're in that particular job. Pragmatically, look at the education levels of people who work as cocktail waitresses or bartenders. I think generally, they're not going to be able to say, Oh, let me polish up my resume and I'll be able to get a job in three weeks at the Hilton Hawaiian village. There's different stratum within society.' "

Basically he labels these employees as ignorant and incapible. I can tell you that people in the bars where pissed when they saw this. Totally rude and arrogant comments. He also said that if business is down it's because of bad business practices not the ban. Amazing that all these "bad practices" started on Nov. 16, 2006.

Comment

A few days ago I poked my nose into a small Korean bar and saw ashtrays on the bar. I thought cool, and sat down. Everyone was Korean and speaking in Korean. After a few minutes, I asked if I could smoke and the mama said, "no, no, you have to go outside!" So I looked at the ashtray next to me with a butt in it and said "oh really". So the mama got all concerned and pulled the ashtrays off the bar and hid them. I explained that I wasn't there to get them in trouble, but to no use. I could see they didn't like me there so I just left. Pretty funny since that particular bar is so paranoid of non-Koreans concerning the smoking ban. I wonder if they even realize that the admin. rules ain't set.

Don't get me wrong, Koreans are ok in my book, but the folks at that bar need to take a chill pill and actually read the law. I don't blame them for letting people however, sure beats going out of business like some places already have. Bans like this hurt the small places the most.

Comment

Originally posted by AlohaKine View Post
                          A few days ago I poked my nose into a small Korean bar and saw ashtrays on the bar. I thought cool, and sat down. Everyone was Korean and speaking in Korean. After a few minutes, I asked if I could smoke and the mama said, "no, no, you have to go outside!" So I looked at the ashtray next to me with a butt in it and said "oh really". So the mama got all concerned and pulled the ashtrays off the bar and hid them. I explained that I wasn't there to get them in trouble, but to no use. I could see they didn't like me there so I just left. Pretty funny since that particular bar is so paranoid of non-Koreans concerning the smoking ban.
                          It's not a racial issue. My guess is that even if you were Korean and you were a new face in that bar, the mama would have said the same thing to you too. Or even if you were a familiar face, but you don't buy too many drinks, you would probably not have "earned" the privilege of smoking in the bar. (Same reason why other guys in that bar are served pupu platters without asking for it while you ask for something to munch on and they serve you salted peanuts.)

Face the truth, sir. It's an economic issue, not a racial thing. The customers that buy the girls lots of "drinkees" make it worthwhile for the owner to occasionally get cited for smoking violations.
                          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                            It's not a racial issue. My guess is that even if you were Korean and you were a new face in that bar, the mama would have said the same thing to you too. Or even if you were a familiar face, but you don't buy too many drinks, you would probably not have "earned" the privilege of smoking in the bar. (Same reason why other guys in that bar are served pupu platters without asking for it while you ask for something to munch on and they serve you salted peanuts.)

Face the truth, sir. It's an economic issue, not a racial thing. The customers that buy the girls lots of "drinkees" make it worthwhile for the owner to occasionally get cited for smoking violations.
                            Thanks for your insite Frankie's Market. Sorry, I failed to mention the it wasn't a hostess bar, just Korean Karaoke. I'm not aware of any Korean Hostess bars that openly allow smoking, guys please message me if you know of any. However there are several non-Korean owned hostess and strip bars that do allow it and profit well from it. They tend to be more pragmatic about the situation.

Likelyhood of allowing it trends in this order, from high to low as far as ownership.

Haole, (slightly >) Local > Vietnamese amd other Asian > Korean

seems to follow how well acquinted a person is with America, willingness to adapt to American/ Local culture, and level of understanding of English. Knowledge is power and the greater a person learns about the law's weaknesses by reading it, the greater their chances of defying it.

The star bulletin today said that the # of bars dropped from 309 to 301, post ban. I've seen several "board ups" personally. I don't recall ever seeing this before, except for developments. It wouldn't be 8, but 20 or 30+ if it wasn't for cheating. Many other places teatter on the edge.

Ban the Ban!!!!!

Comment

Vegas is starting to get affected by no-smoking legislation:

http://politics.lasvegassun.com/2007...food-or-a.html

Comment

Smoking: How does it affect your skin?

Smoking can accelerate the aging process of your skin.

Q: Is it true that smoking causes wrinkles?

Yes. Smoking can accelerate the normal aging process of your skin, contributing to wrinkles. These skin changes may occur after only 10 years of smoking and are irreversible.

How does smoking lead to wrinkles? Smoking causes narrowing of the blood vessels in the outermost layers of your skin. This impairs blood flow to your skin, depleting it of oxygen and important nutrients, such as vitamin A. Smoking also damages collagen and elastin — fibers that give your skin its strength and elasticity. As a result, skin begins to sag and wrinkle prematurely.

In addition, repeated exposure to the heat from burning cigarettes and the facial expressions you make when smoking — such as pursing your lips when inhaling and squinting your eyes to keep out smoke — may contribute to wrinkles.

Just an additional information in regards to smoking & why it is usually best if people that smokes, atleast try to quit.

I know it's hard!!.

My hubby's mom has ben smoking for years & that is how she died (through cancer) .

Best of luck to those who try.

* Yes, I know that this is no relation to the "smoking ban", probably, but although it is somewhat related to the "smoking" part.
                                Aches & Pains
                                (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

Working...
                                X