Thanksgiving 2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanksgiving 2006

The gouls are gone and Halloween is over, and now it's time again to plan for that good 'ole American (Thursday, November 23rd) THANKSGIVING FEAST!

You know the rules: Turkey, stuffing, gravy, mash, cran', rolls, glazed ham, yams. 'Den you get da' local 'kine stuff like sushi, beef stew, manapua, mac salad, poke.. anykine grinds!

So what's on your plans this year? Cook from scratch, "Turkey to Go", restaurant or celebration at friends or family's home? What's on TV? Football? Playstation 3!?

Gobble Gobble!

sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: Thanksgiving 2006

For some reason I think the title should have a tag line:
    Thanksgiving 2006: Grannie's Revenge
    Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

In 2004 we ordered a Turkey-To-Go dinner from Pac Beach Hotel. That was EXCELLENT.

Last year we ordered a Turkey-To-Go dinner from the Hyatt. Next.

This year, we'll probably do another TTG, but not sure where yet. Any TTG suggestions?
      Last edited by Pomai; November 1, 2006, 10:31 AM. Reason: Our plans
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I've long preferred cornish game hens to giant turkeys as the centerpiece dish. Lots of butter and good oven management makes for a delicious, crispy skin on a succulent, moist, easily handledThanksgiving bird.

As with many families, we also often have two big Thanksgiving dinners, one with mom and one with dad. Fortunately, they're mercifully scheduled on different days.

Comment

Has anyone ever had a Turducken? They're GOOOOOOOOOD! Take a while to make but i've made 3 already in my lifetime and it got easier each time. Last year we brined the turkey, this year I'm making a ducken again.
          -kp!

Comment

Originally posted by Kungpao View Post
            Has anyone ever had a Turducken? They're GOOOOOOOOOD! Take a while to make but i've made 3 already in my lifetime and it got easier each time. Last year we brined the turkey, this year I'm making a ducken again.
            Jump to this thread, for some brief turducken comments last year...

Comment

I'll lunch with friends at the Hale Koa then hele on over to another friend's hale for an early dinner. I'll probably just have dessert at that point! I'm full just thinking about it!

Comment

I LOVE Thanksgiving - it's my favorite holiday by far. Cook everything from scratch including mincemeat tarts, cornbread & water chestnut dressing, mashed potatoes, giblet gravy, cranberry orange relish (hold the green bean casserole, blech!), turkey and more. Still seeking a brussel sprout recipe that actually tastes good.

Comment

Now I'm hungry again!

Comment

I am sure I will have my brother and his family over and cook from scratch...menu?
                    Very country traditional ....
                    Turkey baked, mashed potatoes, gravy (not from the bag), ham, devilled eggs, jello salad, rolls, green bean casserole (cheese version), baked yams, cinnamon baked carrots, pumkin pie, my chocolate mud pie, apple pie, lots of whip cream which I will whip myself.

Then we will all fall over on the couch, watch a movie, and leave the food out until 10pm!
                    I will make turkey tetrazinni the next day!
                    Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                    Sharing withother survivors...
                    www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Originally posted by blueyecicle View Post
                      [...]lots of whip cream which I will whip myself.[...]
                      Here's a time saver for you in case you're interested! I own 2, a one pint and a half pint and got both from eBay. I'm now almost always assigned 'whipped cream duty' during potlucks because everyone prefers the taste of fresh WC! Sure makes my life easy!

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                        Jump to this thread, for some brief turducken comments last year...
                        SOOO??? Have you tried it yet? The recipe I linked is the one I use. Can't get enought of it!
                        -kp!

Comment

I used to eat Cool Whip right out of the tub like ice cream. Not to mention spraying the canned version straight into the mouth.

Speaking of whip, I've never been a fan of Pumpkin Pie, but Ted's Pumpkin Haupia Pie... now that's ono! If you're gonna' buy your pie from the store, get that one. Trust me.. da' best!
                          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I went to Safeway today for other things, but I made sure I asked if they were gonna do their turkey dinners again this year. They are, but they haven't gotten the sign-up sheets ready yet (they're, ominously, waiting to see what the price will be).

We've been getting it from them for 8-10 years now. The bird and potatoes are good, the cranberry sauce is passable, the dressing's OK, the gravy's been a mixed bag, and the pumpkin pie is what you'd expect from a mass-produced operation.
                            http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                              Speaking of whip, I've never been a fan of Pumpkin Pie, but Ted's Pumpkin Haupia Pie... now that's ono! If you're gonna' buy your pie from the store, get that one. Trust me.. da' best!
                              Oh now there's something I wish I could get here... Maybe Uwajimaya when it gets closer to the time. Anyone know a good pumpkin haupia recipe?

My wife and I are the only family within 1000 miles, and most of my friends go to their families. So, we usually end up with the store bought stuff. Not as good as the huge home-cooked southern fat-feast they are having back in Dallas on Thanksgiving , but not bad.

Comment

Working...
                              X