Thanksgiving 2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thanksgiving 2006

Was at 7-11 buying some lunch, they were also selling Turkey plates that you just microwave and eat. Two sizes as well, one for under $6 and the smaller one for under $3.

Comment

Okay....it's been a long two days of chop, chop, chop. You gotta use your cutting board and your sharpest knife A LOT to look like Emeril when it's time to start cooking.

Turkey with sausage-cranberry stuffing cooked in a bag.
      Pork & Purple Potato & Peppers & Pineapple & Parsnips & Parsley Stew served-in-a-Pumpkin
      4 Seafood Quiche
      Baked Brie & Baguette
      Cranberry Sauce(both kinds)
      Olives
      Captain Morgans and Egg Nog with spiced apple rings topping
      Piper Sonoma Champagne with OJ
      Merlot Red
      Chardonnay White
      5 different Beers
      Chocolate Pie
      CheeseCake with Blackberry and Rasberry topping

Serve with 3 football games as garnish.

Oh my God ! I prolly deserve a television show on Food Network.
      FutureNewsNetwork.com
      Energy answers are already here.

Comment

We had a Feast in Waipahuuuuu! I went back for seconds. I had the pleasure to eat with Rep. Alex Sonson and wife Peggy. I introduced him to Blogs...especially to Doug's "http://www.poinography.com/"...he read it on my Lap Top for a loooong time.heheheh

He also laughed at my Blog.

The food ~ so much. The desserts ~ ukapila and onolicious. I had to stop foa my own good cause we are here now in Ewa Beach at my daughter and son-in-law's Hale ready to partake another festive celebration of onolicious Kaukau and desserts.

I give thanks for an Ohana who knows the meaning of coming together and giving thanks...sharing love and aloha.

Oh! I gotta share this short story. I was passing the car seat. I looked fast at the babe in it. "Oh! What a beautiful baby! Looks like Antonio when he was dat age. heheheh"

Everybody looks at me. Silence.

MAMA said..."Stupid! It's your granddaughter, Kiana!"

Everybody laughs.

I wen go walk out da door and hide foa little while. I neva have my glasses das why.

Auntie Lynn
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

TimKona:

Pork & Purple Potato & Peppers & Pineapple & Parsnips & Parsley Stew served-in-a-Pumpkin

Details! I want details!
          Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Lynn:
            I wear my glasses to shop, cook, eat, read and work. I'm not surprised that this happened to you. What can gals like us do except confess our eyes are failing?
            Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

TimKona!
              Did I just see you on KGMB being interviewed? Micah?
              Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
                Lynn:
                I wear my glasses to shop, cook, eat, read and work. I'm not surprised that this happened to you. What can gals like us do except confess our eyes are failing?
                heheheh

The problem with me is I always seem to lose my glasses. I can't remember where I put the darn thing. Everything seems to be failing. My sense of smell, my shoulder hurts, feelings in my legs comes and goes, etc. etc. Dang! Getting old is hard work.

I confess I'm old....but still swinging!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Lynn
                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

We had a wonderful Thanksgiving gathering with friends and family at my dad's house in Aina Haina. My kids got to play with cousins they never knew they had, and we stuffed ourselves silly on turkey, gon lo mein, cucumber namasu, sweet potato pie, sushi, stuffing with portuguese sausage, tossed Okinawan and sweet potatoes with honey, and some other stuff I'm forgetting.

To top it all off, I had the "small world moment" of the month. One of the young women there was someone who I've only known online through her Flickr photos. She turned out to be the sister of my stepbrother's former roommate, and the daughter of my stepmother's close friend!

My set of Thanksgiving food and family photos are here.

Comment

aloha gang!

Ate waaaay too much. Will have to work this off by performing a rigorous routine of blackbelt shopping tomorrow morning. Before dawn. Because I am a glutton for punishment. And the funny thing is, I have *no clue* what to buy everybody for pressies.

Seriously want to adopt children for Christmas through one of those "for just a cup of coffee each day..." programs and penpal our whole family with the kid(s).

FYI: because it is late and I ate too much to function, I used "penpal" as a verb.

Blessings to one and all.

aloha, PM

pax

Comment

Okay, Lavagal. Here you go. Lucky for you, the Morgan's is talking right now.

Pumpkin Stew.

First, Save a choice large pumpkin from Halloween, and place it in a cool spot somewhere in a dark corner of the house.

Day before, Cut the top off, using a slant cut, so the lid won't fall in, and clean out the pumpkin real good. They get more stringy after a month of sititng, so be patient. Next year, I'm gonna try a torch to singe the strings inside, and add that good bbq pumpkin flavor to the stew. (oh no, now the Captain is causing me to give away hard won kitchen secrets. Hold on, I'm gonna go get the whole bottle.......ahhh, phew....that's better). Put 2 FROZEN bottles of water inside the pumpkin to keep in chilled overnight, and put the top back on. Set Aside.

Next day, make your stew. I used all "P" ingredients this year, cuz I'm a little nuts like that anyway. But you could make a hamburger goulash, or anything that might take well to a little pumpkin flavoring. Imagine a Duck/Orange concoction

Once you got the stew simmering, you gotta oil up the pumpkin and put it into a 350 degree oven for about 15 minutes to get it preheated. It's very important to use GOOD olive oil. The extra virgin, extra light crap just won't do the trick the way some fat, aged, "whore" oil will. So anyway, grease it up inside and out, then get it hot.

Time it so the stew is nearly done at the same time as the pumpkin gets warm. Don't overcook the pumpkin, or you will be cleaning the oven until Christmas. Pour the stew into the pumpkin, put the lid on, and put back into the oven for another 15 minutes. Take it out and make it the center piece of your table with some juniper cuttings and plumeria flowers for a base. The aroma will knock you down.

You can prepare this dish up to an hour before the turkey is done. It will stay plenty hot inside that pumpkin.

There you go Lavagal. Hope you love it.
                      FutureNewsNetwork.com
                      Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Mahalo, TimKona.
                        I just love the influence of a little libation. Sounds to me like you had an amazing day.

In fact it seems quite a few of you did! Ours is tomorrow. I've got the house about 95 percent ready!
                        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

The extra virgin, extra light crap just won't do the trick the way some fat, aged, "whore" oil will.

Best line eva!!!!!!
                          You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

I'm stuffed...bucket please
                            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

So we enjoyed the TTG Package from the Prince Court Restaurant, located in the The Hawaii Prince Hotel Waikiki & Golf Club:
                              • Macadamia Nut Honey Glazed Turkey
                              • Cornbread, Sausage & Chestnut Stuffing
                              • Garlic Mashed Potatoes
                              • Giblet Gravy
                              • Maple Glazed Yams
                              • Fresh Orange & Cranberry Chutney
                              • Fresh Baked Rolls
                              • Pumkin Pie
                              $110

I also added a small ham and a 1/2 gallon of Roselani Haupia Ice Cream for the meal.

We were told the black plastic foam-like containers everything came in was oven-safe, but we didn't trust that and decided to transfer each item into disposable foil pans for the oven and pot on the stove for the gravy.

The turkey was moist, tender and flavorful (definately brined), although the skin could have been roasted a bit more crisp. The mac & honey glaze didn't really impart much additional flavor into the meat, unless you were lucky enough to bite into the mac nuts directly. It did help the overall seasoning flavor on the skin though. It looked to be about 14 lbs., and I made quick work carving out the breast and all other meat with my trusty electric knife.

The cornbread/sausage/chestnut stuffing was the standout winner here. Awesome. Moist, yet not soggy, with noticeable chunks of each element to bite into.That alone may have been worth the additional cost of this TTG package.

Everything else - mash, gravy, yams and rolls - were also perfect in flavor, freshness and execution as advertised.

The included pumpkin pie was standard fare, but with that Roselani Haupia Ice Cream on the side... oh man! That ice cream is so ono! If you haven't tried that flavor yet, go for it. Worth the $6 per 1/2 gal. (sale) price. Creamy with a noticeable Haupia coconut flavor, yet not overpowering. I'll admit, the Haupia Ice Cream was my favorite part of the meal, next to the stuffing.

I'd say this package could have easily fed 7-9 people with just enough leftovers for some sandwiches the next day. The only complaint we have is that - like TTG's we've had before - they don't use (truly oven-safe) FOIL containers for the items. Tranferring everything to pots and pans to heat up negates the convenience factor.

Still, the recipes and finished product was fancy enough to separate it from standard fare TTGs to just barely warrant the higher-than-average price. I think it should have at least included a small ham though. Still, we were very satisfied with the offering from the Hawaii Prince.

So now on to make Jook with the leftover turkey bones!
                              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
                              X