Thanksgiving 2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thanksgiving 2006

Last year we did the box feast from our local supermarket..Reheated Turkey...tasted like it too.Kinda disappointing.

Don't know what we'll do this year. My fiancee' wanted to cook Chinese this year. I vetoed that. Sorry, Thanksgiving is Turkey Day....no exceptions.
    That's for xmas tho', and my dad will be out this year, so we'll make our eggrolls (we make really great egg rolls!) and all the Chinese stuff.

That being said, I don't know what we're gonna do this year. Cooking a full Thanksgiving dinner is alot of work for just 3 people.

Maybe go out, I don't know.
    http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
    Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
    Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
      Here's a time saver for you in case you're interested! I own 2, a one pint and a half pint and got both from eBay. I'm now almost always assigned 'whipped cream duty' during potlucks because everyone prefers the taste of fresh WC! Sure makes my life easy!
      COOL I had never even heard of those before! I hate using my mixer.
      Personally I like cool whip because I can put it on the pie the day before. But you know how family is....DEMANDING!
      Since when is psycho a bad thing??
      Sharing withother survivors...
      www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

i have to make banana lumpia for TG....ummm anyone knows where i can just buy some?????

Comment

Originally posted by CranBeree View Post
          i have to make banana lumpia for TG....ummm anyone knows where i can just buy some?????
          The banana lumpia at Blu Water Grill @ Hawaii Kai Shopping Center is killer! (see the dessert menu). The next best thing to their previous Banana Blintz (ask Chef Bruhl)!

They make theirs in the fashion of Bananas Foster, then roll up all that goodness in some Lumpia wrappers and deep fry it, and served at tableside with Vanilla Ice Cream.
          Last edited by Pomai; November 1, 2006, 05:18 PM.
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I will get my bird done in the imu at work; I'm thinking of buying a giant one and sticking a pork butt inside for double duty. I'll probably also roast a regular turkey. Leftovers seem to have as much value around here as the real meal. My mother-in-law makes cranberry-orange relish with oranges from my tree; and she also makes great mashed potatoes. Her gravy is very good, too. So on Thanksgiving, I put her to work when she arrives. I think I'll do the gravy this year. I also make stuffing, peas-n-pearl onions. Sweets or yams are not so special at our table. I also make a savory bread pudding with corn, carmelized onions, cheddar cheese, and heavy cream. It's deadly, but it disappears!
            Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

I want to attend a wedding that will be the weekend after Thanksgiving and due to logistics and what needs to be done .... I need to stick around on the island...If anyone wants to Hanai me for Thanksgiving... your welcome to!

Other than that... I will be asking to join 1stwahine and the Kau Kau wagon to help serve the hungry during the day...and appreciating what we all have to offer.
              Last edited by damontucker; November 1, 2006, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Anyone besides me working on Thanksgiving?

Comment

Retail never takes a break...I'll be working that night.
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                    Retail never takes a break...I'll be working that night.
                    How about the day after---"Black Friday"?

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
                      Anyone besides me working on Thanksgiving?
                      I'll probably be working at least half day and definitely work the next day.

Thanksgiving is usually at my cousin's house where she tries in vain to make us have a "traditional" Thanksgiving dinner but somehow poke and noodles of some kind and sushi and local stuff like that always sneak in from the potluckers.

Comment

Originally posted by Adri View Post
                        I'll probably be working at least half day and definitely work the next day.

Thanksgiving is usually at my cousin's house where she tries in vain to make us have a "traditional" Thanksgiving dinner but somehow poke and noodles of some kind and sushi and local stuff like that always sneak in from the potluckers.

Not quite "Norman Rockwell," eh?

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
                          How about the day after---"Black Friday"?
                          *excited* I forgot about the 4am trip to Joann's Fabric store to wait in line for 3 hours to buy 200.00 in fabric! *plot* who will I drag this year!!
                          Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                          Sharing withother survivors...
                          www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Originally posted by blueyecicle View Post
                            *excited* I forgot about the 4am trip to Joann's Fabric store to wait in line for 3 hours to buy 200.00 in fabric! *plot* who will I drag this year!!
                            I should be getting my AM labs back by then and hanging my replacement K, Mag, and K-phos, and ordering my units of packed cells, platelets, and fresh frozen plasma.

Different strokes....

Comment

Re: Thanksgiving 2006: Zippy's TTG

I'm looking at this year's Zippy's Thankgiving Meals to Go flier. Looks pretty good.

Whole Turkey Package
                              (refrigerated, ready to reheat, serves 8-10)
                              Whole Roast Turkey (8-10 lbs. cooked weight)
                              4 lbs. Stuffing
                              4 lbs. Real Mashed Potatoes
                              4 lbs. Poultry Gravy
                              1 lb. Cranberry/Pineapple Relish
                              1 doz. Sweet Dinner Rolls
                              $63.95 + tax

A half turkey package (serves up to 4) is also available for $32.95.

Pay and pick-up at Ewa, Kapolei, Waiau, Waipahu, McCully, Mililani, Vineyard, Kahala, Koko Marina, Kaneohe and Kailua locations only.

Not bad. We paid $80 for last year's Hyatt TTG. This one is appealing since we can pay and pick up right up the street at the Koko Marina Zippy's. It doesn't include a pie, which is good, since I'd rather buy Ted's Pumpkin Haupia Pie for dessert.

Anyone ever try Zippy's TTG? Any good?
                              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

the zippy's thing is ok...stick with the Hyatt...wayyyy better!

Comment

Working...
                                X