Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Launches Windows Live Virtual Earth

http://local.live.com

The only difference is that Local Live's version is not a stand-alone app like Google Earth (which you have to download and run separately); it's all online. Although sluggish, I like how buildings are real-looking rather than simple and grey-colored like Google Earth (take a look at L.A. or Seattle). Looks like the only building done in Honolulu is the Capitol Building:

-Arturo

Re: Microsoft Local Live Launches GoogleEarth-Type Map App Today

Originally posted by arturo_h View Post
    http://local.live.com

The only difference is that Local Live's version is not a stand-alone app like Google Earth (which you have to download and run separately); it's all online. Although sluggish, I like how buildings are real-looking rather than simple and grey-colored like Google Earth (take a look at L.A. or Seattle). Looks like the only building done in Honolulu is the Capitol Building:

-Arturo
    ROFL! That would be a picture of a Honolulu resident's dream city! Look at all that space to develop!

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Here are the views of some other cities:

San Francisco:

Seattle:

Los Angeles:

-Arturo

Comment

In looking at the Seattle view (which is looking south of the Space Needle), it appears that only buildings exceeding a certain height are being depicted. All that area to the left of the Space Needle is crammed with low rise buildings. I recognize the main Washington Mutual Bldg (that whitish skinny building toward the back edge of the picture) and Union Place (off a little to the left of it). I would have a hard time distinguishing other landmark buildings downtown, like Century Plaza, the IBM Building, Smith Tower, or Columbia Tower. I like Google Earth because it's a flat depiction so everything (including parking lots) shows up.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
          ROFL! That would be a picture of a Honolulu resident's dream city! Look at all that space to develop!

Miulang
          Eh, where my workplace stay? (and the oda buildings?)

I think Microsoft should finish something before they release it.
          How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456 View Post
            I think Microsoft should finish something before they release it.
            Why should they change now? Wait til version 3.

Comment

Re: Microsoft Launches Windows Live Virtual Earth

It’s okay. Right now I would put it in the “Ooooh. Aaah. That’s cool,” category. Not really a practical tool, especially since it seems most if not all of the satellite images are outdated (It’s pre-2006 for sure), and thus names/digital highlighting of streets that have only existed for the last year or so, do not show up.

I never did download Google Earth on my home computer, but I’ll be doing that now so I can make a comparison. One thing off the bat I appreciate about Google’s standalone product, is you can print out a full-page map. But yes, the days of traditional maps are numbered.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
              USA TODAY, page 2A
              11 March 1993

Comment

Re: Microsoft Launches Windows Live Virtual Earth

Slashdot, of course, touched on this launch. Lots of good (and not so good) comments, as usual, plus some decent links, including in the summary:
                "Microsoft has announced the launch of Virtual Earth 3D. There are numerous screenshots to be seen, as well as a Google Earth comparison from Spatially Adjusted. You can read the Google Earth Blog on why he thinks it's not a threat to Google. C|Net's coverage and the official press release provide lots of concrete details of the product. You can also read more from the development side or see the CBS report on Virtual Earth 3D.

Comment

Working...
                X