Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mexican Food

Originally posted by Hellbent View Post
    Someone turned me onto Diego's. They got 2 places, one in pearl ridge and one in king street.
    had lunch king st location.
    great prices good food nice people. I remember seeing the building lotta times on Hawaii 5-0 eps. and glad it has remained pretty unchanged from the 70's. sad they hadda tear down the stadium.

Comment

I'd recommend Quintero's on Piikoi. I thought it was pretty good and reasonable too. Just went there last weekend, but they stopped serving alcohol, you have to bring your own. Waiter said there was some miscommunication about renewing their license. I thought maybe there were new owners and they screwed it up.

The food tasted the same was still delicious though!

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55 View Post
        sad they hadda tear down the stadium.
        Nah. Get plenty local residents who use it every day. Have been for years.

The stadium would have been rebuilt at some point... you would have been in favor of that development, Mr. Let's Leave Hawaii In The 19th Century?

Comment

My favoerite places for Mexican food are:
          • Cholo's Mexican Restaurant
          • Bandito's
          Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)

Comment

Everyone know's I can't read (or right/write). But LaBamba on Kapahulu rocks and Toritos - think it's on Kapiolani - is pretty good too. There's also a place in Hawaii Kai next to the Shack that is decent too.

Oh, and I just saw someone posted Quintero's too - they have pretty okay grinds, but they're slllllllllowwwww and when they have a liquor license, they charge a lot for the bebidas.

Ohhh. Ohhh. I jus wen back an read da deep diva? about no kine Mexicana in Hawaii!!!??? Only if you stay go nowea, den you find no Mexicana.
            Last edited by Stephen; February 1, 2007, 08:40 PM.

Comment

I like to describe Taco Bell's menu as "1001 ways to assemble the same ingredients".
              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Toritos is in Market City, King/Kapiolani near Foodland. A former boss of mine loves it (but he lives in Palolo, so it's about the closest; that may have influenced his opinion). I had a (King St.) Diego's chimichanga a couple of weeks ago; it was very good. Way too big for lunch.

Nadine Kam had a review of some new Mexican place in the paper the other day; she was less than impressed with the seafood parts of the menu.
                http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

We plan on celebrating a birthday soon at Los Chapparos Mexican Restaurant.

The menu looks good. So are the reviews.

Anyone ever been?

The Ceviche looks like a good start (even though that's not exclusively Mexican per se). The Menudo (Beef Tripe & Hominy) Soup also sounds interesting as I love tripe stew.
                  sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                    We plan on celebrating a birthday soon at Los Chapparos Mexican Restaurant.
                    The menu looks good.
                    Anyone ever been?
                    The Ceviche looks like a good start (even though that's not exclusively Mexican per se). The Menudo (Beef Tripe & Hominy) Soup also sounds interesting as I love tripe stew.
                    I've eaten there several times. Perfectly servicable and tasty fare.
                    It's nice to eat in a Mexican restaurant with more room inside too, as much as I enjoy the tiny, cramped hole-in-the-walls...
                    I though the cerviche was good, but I've not had the Menudo.
                    Last edited by AbsolutChaos; February 5, 2007, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55 View Post
                      had lunch king st location.
                      great prices good food nice people. I remember seeing the building lotta times on Hawaii 5-0 eps. and glad it has remained pretty unchanged from the 70's. sad they hadda tear down the stadium.
                      (Diego's) Ive only had the Carne Asada Burrito and the Carne Chips, the chips were fried to order, it was tasty!
                      Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Mexico Restaurant, the one mentioned by several people above, on School Street. I tried it earlier this week, and I was amazed by what the proprietors have done with what used to be a butchery. You'd never recognize it as the same space, those of you who ever went in there when it was Kalihi Super Meats 2 (or any of the other incarnations of the same idea).

I talked to the owner (who also owns Mexico Lindo in Kailua), and he said he and his family worked for six months getting the place ready. There are no lanai chairs or plywood folding tables in this place, and while a lot of the decor is faux, it's interesting enough to be impressive, if only for the effort that went into putting it together. The owner said that they did it all themselves, him and his family and their friends.

Someone mentioned that the cross-street is Aupuni Street. Totally correct. I live on Aupuni Street, so you can imagine that I score the joint a few points extra for being convenient. According to this review by the Weekly, I got the wrong stuff (enchiladas plate), so I'm eager to try the other stuff, because you know, it wasn't that impressive, flavor-wise.

I'll be going back, you can bet. The bar should be open in a couple of months, says the owner.
                        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

The name escapes me right now, but that place in the same strip mall as Morning Brew in Kailua has pretty good Mexican Food.

Also, that Maui Tacos Place across the street in Kailua was ok too for a quick fix. No Mac salad at either place.

Also, like Madda says...a few different styles of Mexican. I myself prefer the "baja" style, which is more grilled meats and veggies, and black beans, as opposed to the refried pinto beans and stewed chicken of the more traditional mexican.

Also, doesn't necessarily have to be a nice sit down place, I'll take Baja Fresh or Rubios over almost anything...both are semi fast food chains here in LA, but the food is great.
                          http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                          Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                          Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
                            I myself prefer the "baja" style, which is more grilled meats and veggies, and black beans, as opposed to the refried pinto beans and stewed chicken of the more traditional mexican.

Also, doesn't necessarily have to be a nice sit down place, I'll take Baja Fresh or Rubios over almost anything...both are semi fast food chains here in LA, but the food is great.
                            Do you have any Taco del Mars or Qdobas in LA yet? Taco del Mar is baja style too, and Qdoba has these super stuffed burritos (you can choose either refried or black beans and different types of fresh salsa...I like their salsa verde). We have one Baja Fresh (no Rubios, though).

Miulang
                            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Re: Los Chapparos Mexican Restaurant...
                              Originally posted by AbsolutChaos View Post
                              I've eaten there several times. Perfectly servicable and tasty fare.
                              It's nice to eat in a Mexican restaurant with more room inside too, as much as I enjoy the tiny, cramped hole-in-the-walls...
                              I though the cerviche was good, but I've not had the Menudo.
                              Thanks for the tip. I'll have pics to share after the visit this week.

Ironically, while we're on the subject, tonight (last night actually) on Rachael Ray's $40 a Day, she covered Los Angeles, pointing out that before LA (California) became a US state, the city was home to a mostly Mexican population, which explains the abundance of such restaurants in that city (Tiki' can chime in on that). Her stop for breakfast was at Guelaguetza Palms Restaurant, where Chef/Owner Soledad Lopez prepared her signature Mole Negro. She showed several color variations of Mole, a complex, chocolate & chili sauce. There was black (negro), red, yellow and green. If you click that link, you'll see how many different ingredients are needed to make it. Crazy. Sure sounds delizioso.
                              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                                Do you have any Taco del Mars or Qdobas in LA yet? Taco del Mar is baja style too, and Qdoba has these super stuffed burritos (you can choose either refried or black beans and different types of fresh salsa...I like their salsa verde). We have one Baja Fresh (no Rubios, though).

Miulang
                                We don't have either of those that I know of yet, but the name Qdoba does look familiar. Rubios specialty is Fish tacos, which are so great. Broiled Mahi Mahi, and the tortillas are always super fresh. Unfortunately, they're not as many Rubios as Baja Fresh yet, but when I'm near one and hungry, I usually stop. Great stuff.

Baja Fresh is amazing too. I kinda wish both Rubios and Baja fresh would have a little more restaurant style places cos their food is that good. Sometime, you just wanna sit down in a place with nice ambiance and have a good meal. They're just fast food style places, but the food is better than alot of Mexican "Restaurants" around...IMO

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                                Re: Los Chapparos Mexican Restaurant...
                                Thanks for the tip. I'll have pics to share after the visit this week.

Ironically, while we're on the subject, tonight (last night actually) on Rachael Ray's $40 a Day, she covered Los Angeles, pointing out that before LA (California) became a US state, the city was home to a mostly Mexican population, which explains the abundance of such restaurants in that city (Tiki' can chime in on that). Her stop for breakfast was at Guelaguetza Palms Restaurant, where Chef/Owner Soledad Lopez prepared her signature Mole Negro. She showed several color variations of Mole, a complex, chocolate & chili sauce. There was black (negro), red, yellow and green. If you click that link, you'll see how many different ingredients are needed to make it. Crazy. Sure sounds delizioso.
                                Well, being that Tijuana is 3 hours away, yes, alot of Mexicans here, therefore alot of Mexican restaurants. Alot of good ones, and alot of belly bomb/Montezumas revenge places too.

As a matter of fact, you can pretty much throw a rock in any direction and hit a Mexican food place of some sort here in SoCal.

One of my other favorite places is yet another chain called Chevy's, which has great food and is an actual restaurant. They have a machine that's constantly warming up chips, so you always get warm chips, and the salsa is just amazing. All their food is great.

So many great Mexican restaurants here in LA.
                                http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                                Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                                Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Working...
                                X