This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General Election Day Live Thread

The Primary Election Day Live Thread was fun, so why not do another live thread for Tuesday, Nov. 7?

As before, this thread will be a one-day sandbox in which to post assorted observation about General Election Day in Hawaii. Voting experiences, last-minute campaign activities, media coverage and periodic vote counts. I'm mostly interested in what you are seeing, experiencing, and thinking about politics today.

This thread is not for discussing specific campaigns and races (i.e. who you want to win and why, who you think will win and why, etc.). After all, we have dedicated threads for several individual races, including Lingle v. Iwase, Thielen v. Akaka, Hogue v. Hirono, City Charter Questions, Proposed Constitutional Amendments, Tokuda v. Leong (District 24) and Okubo v. Belatti (District 25). Rather, it's for discussing the General Election Day experience as a whole.

What was it like at your voting location? How many signwavers did you see while out and about? Who's doing what at which campaign headquarters? What goofy thing did which reporter just say on live TV? And how are the vote totals coming out?

And where else are you going for election commentary online? David Shapiro plans to liveblog. I think the Hawaii Policital Watch folks will be checking in. Anyone else? Keith? Doug? Link?

We'll talkstory and comment here as the day unfolds, see who the night owls are that wait up for the final tallies, do a bit of Wednesday-morning quarterbacking, then close up here and go back to the individual race threads to hash out the aftermath.
    Last edited by helen; November 6, 2006, 10:26 PM. Reason: changing the date

Re: General Election Day Live Thread

Just voted at the Painted Church. Now THAT is a cool place for voting.

Saw some Hirono signs and some Herkes signs closer than 200 feet to the polling place. Just goes to show you that the double standard is in force.

All the poll volunteers are their 90's and 100's. Where is the young blood. I'm gonna step up next year, and encourage some of my Gen X friends to do the same.

And if you want to support Affirmative Action for people that are not white bread crackers, then you need to somehow tie it to voting. Conspicuous lack of colors in the line for voting. I think Hawaiians, who use the sovereignty movement as a pretend vehicle towards power, would do better to get out the vote, and steal power from within the existing democratic structure.

Why re-invent the wheel when all you have to do is get your man elected?

The easiest path to revolution is often overlooked by those focused on the "fight" and not the results.
    FutureNewsNetwork.com
    Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Driving down Salt Lake Blvd. toward Puuloa Rd. I was surprised that I didn't see ANY signwavers out and about. Glenn Wakai and Yvonne Perry and their camps were waving during rush hour yesterday. I'm used to seeing candidates bright and early on Election Day and was disappointed that there weren't any for me to honk in support for this morning. I live in Mililani Mauka, but I still haven't changed my address yet so I vote in the Salt Lake district.

I have to work today, but I'm taking a half day so I can sign wave for Mr. Manu Boyd later on this afternoon.

Happy Election Day everybody!
      Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
      We're not here to mess around
      Boston, you know we love you madly
      Hear the crowd roar to your sound
      Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
      You know we couldn't live without you
      Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

I voted at Washington Middle School this morning. Maybe around 9:45 am or so. No line waiting for check-in, had about 10 people or so in the booths filling in their choices on paper ballots. I selected a paper ballot too, since there was only one electronic machine available.

After about 5 minutes or so I went over to the machine that accepts the paper ballot, only had one person in front of me on that line.

I think for this General Election, this polling place went smoothly.

Comment

It was smooth sailing at the Waikiki Baptist Church polling station. Got there at 8am to find no line at the door and about 10 folks inside the booths. The adequate polling staff were mostly (retired age looking) returnees from the primary.

Took me longer than expected to reread and make sure I got all my votes correct (yes or no) on the 2nd ballot's County Charter quesitions. Think I nailed it.

It'll be fun watching the results tonight.
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Up early to get to PC Elementary to vote before taking the dearly beloved to work. After breakfast in the 'Sky Lounge' at the Nimitz McDonald's, we realized we weren't given ballots for the county charter questions. I'm not sure what to do now.

Comment

I've always wondered what the rules of signwaving or signage is regarding it's distance from polling places.

Here in Keauu one of the polling places is the Hawaiian Paradise Park's community center. There are sign wavers right at the entrance to the center but polling officials indicate that they are at least 200-feet from the actual polling area.

Is that okay?
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

On one of the message boards I frequent, people complained about the amount of recorded messages they got via phone call or on their answering machines.

I can't seem to recall getting any of those messages here. Is it against the law here to call homes and businesses with messages like that or do we just not do it here?
                Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                We're not here to mess around
                Boston, you know we love you madly
                Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                You know we couldn't live without you
                Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Lei's comment reminds me, I haven't seen a single sign-waver at all in my neighborhood. Part of it may be that the highway reconstruction at Kaonohi-Moanalua has lots of machines and lane closures, but I'd have thunk I'd have seen a few.

Off to the polls shortly. I'm taking my camera along.

I suppose I'll channel surf for local results. For the national ones I'll be checking my usual blog hangouts (all activists all the time) and surf between the networks (elections on ABC won't feel right without Peter Jennings, though). Connecticut looks like a 70% turnout, sez its Election commissioner, and Virginia's is way high too.
                  http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

I just pau sign wave at Austin Lane. It was only me! I had FuN representing my candidate. Den my legs gave way. I had to come home.

All in all it was Awesome! People coming up and saying they Voted for my candidate and shaking my hand. Car honking their horns and people waving from inside.

I may have been by myself but not really. District 28 is a Democratic Stronghold ~ my candidate will be elected tonight!

Auntie Lynn
                    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I'm taking a relaxing break today . As I already voted about two weeks ago
                      at the Kona Mayor's office. I noticed only one sign waver driving home from
                      Ka'u today.
                      Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                      The Kona Blog

Comment

Here's the scene at Pearlridge Elementary at 12:00 noon when I got there to vote. I was voter number 402. Of the 20 or so booths available maybe half were in use when I got there. One of the poll workers told me they'd been busy in the morning and expected to be busy again this afternoon.
                        Attached Files
                        http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

I voted at James Campbell HS. There were oooh, maybe 10 booths set up? Maybe 12ish. And there were only 2 empty ones when I got there. Lots of older folks voting with maybe 3 or so middle-aged folks. Lots of young volunteers, though, one of which commonted on how she found the voting process "addicting." I was voter 189 iirc around 11am. Krispy Kremes fund-raiser going on outside and I was bummed cuz I was $1 short

My parents, who live in California, kinda complainted about the number of phone solicitations they were getting. I called this weekend and my dad answered the phone saying "Clint Eastwood, is this you again?" when I didnt immediately say anything. On the flip side, I've never seen candidates (even local) out and waving on the streets until I moved here (nor have my parents in Central Cal). I much prefer seeing them waving than recorded messages, I must say.

Comment

Any ideas at all about how the numbers might be? I wish I had flown out last Friday for the last 4 days of the campaign (could not because of work).
                            Anyone hear anything yet???

Comment

I helped House candidate Julia Allen (20th) sign wave this morning at the corner of Waialae & St. Louis Hts. drive. After that I went to Hawaii Kai to fix somebody's Mac, and then lunch with my friend and now watching the election returns/projections on Fox TV. I voted on Saturday at Honolulu Hale.
                              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                              X