X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: General Election Day Live Thread

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
    Umm. Where were we?
    um, you were getting in front of me and saying 'mahalo'?

Oh sorry....swept up in the scandals of the dayyyyyheey e kala mai.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister View Post
      McCaskill's taken the lead in Missouri, and Webb's hanging on in Va. Outstanding votes in Va. are Fairfax County (where I used to live); should be Webb country (it's almost a bedroom community for DC, pretty Democratic).
      MSNBC has just projected McCaskill...Missouri is true blue.
      Now it comes down to Montana and Virginia.
      http://www.pineapplejuice.net/freshly-squeezed

Comment

Second printout is in!

Lingle still leads with 60%.

Senate: Akaka 61%, Thielen 34%
        House 1: Abercrombie 66%, Hough 29%
        House 2: Hirono 62%, Hogue 35%

Maui Mayor: Tavares 51%, Arakawa 46%

Comment

Hawaii County Council District 5
          Brenda Ford - 3,600
          Virginia Isbell - 2,056 (I)

Hawaii County Council District 7
          Gary Safarik -2,245 (I)
          Emily Naeole - 2,804

Thus this means a solid 6-3 majority on the council favoring West Hawaii
          Check out my blog on Kona issues :
          The Kona Blog

Comment

In the primary, we calculated that among registered voters in my precinct (30-03) about 43% cast ballots, which was right in line with the state percentage. Perhaps it's interesting (perhaps not) that for today's election, we calculated just over 50%, so if the rest of the state echoes that, my prediction that it would be less than 42% is way off.
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp View Post
              I called the election commission and the first person acted like this was the first thing they were hearing about the problem. Come to find out this was the case for everyone who voted early this morning at that location. They claimed our ballots would still count but I don't believe it. It would explain why they kept having problems feeding the ballots into the machine and said the machine was misbehaving.
              Pomai, I wouldn't worry about that. The ballot-counter was doing the same thing at the precinct where I worked, and my interpretation of it was that it wasn't counting ballots but voters, if that makes any sense. The machine gives a count and you're supposed to be able to reconcile that somehow with the number of ballots that are issued; it makes things easier if the machine counts the number of sets of ballots, rather than the number of ballots. This is one reason the ballots you were issued had the same ballot numbers on them; I'm guessing that the ballot counter was set not to advance until both ballots of matching numbers were inserted.

Edit: I originally posted this to glossyp, but then saw what her original post said (I'm reading this thread in reverse order so I don't answer something that's already been answered). If you did not receive a second ballot, someone screwed up BIG TIME at your precinct, and I am appalled. Appalled that the precinct chair could let that happen, that the Voter Assistance Official could let it happen, and that the pollbook officials could let that happen. Ridiculous.
              Last edited by scrivener; November 7, 2006, 09:06 PM. Reason: "gee I'd like a Harley machine: cruise around town like I was James Dean..."
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Iwase just gave his concession speech, calling his supporters to continue to uphold Democratic values.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                  ...and just now, a volunteer in a phone bank named Kathy rang me, just in case I forgot today was Election Day.

At least her number wasn't blocked. Wonder if she called from her personal cell phone?
                  Pz, the poll-watchers (assigned by the parties) were getting the names of people on their special lists who hadn't yet voted. You're the son of a serious Democrat in this state, so it wouldn't surprise me too much if you were on the list. I was told by the Democrat poll-watcher in my precinct that she was checking the pollbooks for certain people, to see if they'd voted yet or not, and then sending her list to someone at the party, who would be giving calls, offering rides to the precincts, and basically getting out the vote. That doesn't sound like the same thing as the robocalls.
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

turn on comedy central, gang. There is an insta-repeat of the joint effort (DS/CR) entitled "Midterm Midtacular". Waaaaayyy over the top.

pax

Comment

I'm baaaack! Sober.

The information we got ~ All Votes in except for some walk-in votes which won't matter dat much.

Karl Wins!

My Gandule Rice was the talk of the night!

Auntie Lynn
                      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                        I'm baaaack! Sober.
                        I'm calling bullshit!

Comment

This is the most exciting election in memory.

pax

Comment

I dunno, I think the 2000 election was more exciting. Just not in a good way.

Comment

link

According to the general election second printout:

Hawaii County Council district 7 race
                              Brenda Ford - 3,600 63.6%
                              Virginia Isbell - 2,056 (I) 36.4%

Hawaii County Council district 5 race
                              Emily Naeole - 2,804 57.7%
                              Gary Safarik - 2,056 (I) 42.3%

It looks like along with victories by Dominic Yagong, Bob Jacobson,Pete Hoffmann, and Angel Pilago that there will be solid 6-3 majority that should benefit everyone outside of Hilo.

On a related note, I am very happy to see Linda Lingle beat Randy Iwase 128,786 vs 78,464 and Mazie Hirono beat Bob Hogue 77,486 vs 44,088. But I am really disappointed that Cindy Evans is beating Bill Sanborn 3,909 vs 2,452 in State House district 7 and Bob Herkes is beating Charles Hosley 3,640 vs 1,323 in State House district 5.

Lastly I was hoping Cynthia Thielen would beat Dan Akaka for US Senate.But that didn't materialize unfortunately
                              Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                              The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza View Post
                                I'm calling bullshit!
                                Honest. I don't Drink and Drive. I had Leimomi with me!

Das the first time I went to Chinatown and didn't drink. Eh, no ack. I don't plan to drink alcohol tomorrow either.

Auntie Lynn
                                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Working...
                                X