Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fat versus smoke

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
    What so many often forget is that there are real people, genuine souls, within those huge bodies.
    Example: think how much you would now give to be able to sit next to Israel Kamakawiwo`ole, just one time.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
      Example: think how much you would now give to be able to sit next to Israel Kamakawiwo`ole, just one time.
      Just as long as it wasn't in coach.
      “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
      http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
        I sat down next to him back in the days of Kaimuki Intermediate. Both of us were in the councellor's room after getting involved in separate fights. At first I didn't notice Israel sitting next to me because I was tending to my bloody nose.

Then this high voice said, "Eh Braddah Craig go use dis for your nose" and this tent of a shirt came flying over me. Yeah he was big even as a teenager. Israel...his friends call him that, everybody else called him IZ.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
          In my profession I see many morbidly obese patients. In addition, I have personally known quite a few people who have had gastric bypass surgery. What so many often forget is that there are real people, genuine souls, within those huge bodies.

As challenging as it is to take care of these people I cannot help but feel compassion for them. Whatever brought them to this point is irrelevant. Morbid obesity often brings terrible loneliness and isolation to its sufferers. I doubt very much that any of them would wish the terrible circumstances of their lives on their worst enemies.

That was a nice bit of compassion on your part, Shooter.

Happy Holidays....
          I think what you say is true. I would not force them to be thin if they didn't want to. Provide them with choice and information.

More and more smokers are not lonely, we are forced to form new "clicks".

Comment

for the smokers...have you seen what a smoker's lung(s) look like? just wondering? i used to smoke up to 2 pks a day. i quit when i started coughing blood and get winded going up my porch steps :P i quit 6 yrs ago.. my husband quit about 3 months ago...after beign a smoker of over 20 yrs.

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
              let's go all the way:

-outlaw meats; too many cows on the planet as it is, wreckin' the environment. Let's make them, piggies, and goats all endangered species by underbreeding the suckers. Plus, the ocean will thank us, by letting the fishes grow back.

Human beings evolved as omnivores. No denying millions of years of evolution. Deprive someone of meat products long enough and they'll develop serious nerve disorders from the lack of vitamin B. Deprive them of fresh vegetables long enough and they'll develop scurvy. While you can get calcium from spinach you really get more useful calcium from dairy products.

As for "bad" foods, add potatos and white rice to that list. These have glycemic loads equivalent to that of pure sugar. And that can lead to the development of type 2 diabetes. Check out Harvard Medical's website for more info.

http://hms.harvard.edu/public/diseas...nutrition.html
              http://hmiworld.org/hmi/issues/May_J...iet_guide.html
              http://www.harvardmagazine.com/on-line/050465.html

All things in balance. Some fat is good. Too much is bad. Some red wine is good. Too much is bad. Especially the following morning!

As for tobacco, I have a friend whose funeral I attended a month ago. He was a smoker and didn't see his 53rd birthday. My dad smoked. Lung cancer got him. Same with my cousin. And my dad's best friends both got taken by emphysema. They were smokers, too.

Comment

Originally posted by CranBeree View Post
                for the smokers...have you seen what a smoker's lung(s) look like? just wondering? i used to smoke up to 2 pks a day. i quit when i started coughing blood and get winded going up my porch steps :P i quit 6 yrs ago.. my husband quit about 3 months ago...after beign a smoker of over 20 yrs.
                I've smoked over a pack a day for 16 years and I feel great. My chest doesn't hurt, I breath excellent according to the doctor's blow test machine, and I never cough up any blood. I've heard it affects different people differently. Kept me nice and lean also.

My father was a smoker. He quit at age 50 and gained over 100 lbs. He died of an OBESITY related heart attack at age 58. Non-smoking killed him.

Comment

Working...
                X