This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asian Posers: You guys are 100% American

I have a little rant that I wanted to vent. You guys that say you are Okinawan or Chinese or Philippino or Japanese etc. have you even been to Asia before? Aren't most of you like 100% American? I mean I have now been living in Asia for about 12 years and even though I am 100% Caucasian (Italian, English and German). I feel I could confidently say that I am lot more Asian than most of you posers that are actually just Americans that look Asian. For you guys to say you are Japanese or Chinese is like me saying that I am Italian or German or English. I have never even been to Italy and even though I have been to Germany many times, I don't speak any German.

I do speak Chinese (Mandarin Fluently, some Cantonese and Taiwanese and basic Thai). My wife is 100% Taiwanese, but I would bet she is a lot more Japanese than most of you American Japanese. She can read Japanese, Speak it, read it and has traveled extensively in Japan and has loads of Japanese friends.

Anyway all of the Chinese people I know, think American born Chinese are way more American than they are Chinese. Many Chinese Americans come back to Taiwan with their friends to see their homeland, but they look awkward and dorky, are loudmouthed and incredibly ignorant to real Chinese food and the culture here and even exhibit signs of American racism towards Asians, they even make derogatory jokes about their culture and people that I really cannot understand at all.

I am sure the some of the same can be said about Japanese Americans.

Honestly, as much as I would love the Italians or Germans to embrace me as one of their own, they would laugh their butts off if I told them I was Italian.

We are all Americans guys.

PS: This rant was not meant for any of those guys that simply realize they are Americans and not really Japanese or Chinese, nor is it meant for those that have somehow managed to retain their culture over their generations in the USA or have lived back in their homeland for some time. Now...let the flames begin.

Re: Asian Posers: You guys are 100% American

Okay Cooooooool!!!!!!!!!! I Guess You're The Last Samurai Than! :d
    Ebb And Flow

Comment

You're confusing yourself (it's okay. it happens) with two different ideas of what people mean when they say they are Japanese. I'm pretty dang sure that just about every person around here who claims to be Japanese is really saying he or she is of Japanese ancestry. Have you always thought people meant they are culturally Japanese? Because that's kinda dumb. Of course we're American, but "American" is not an ethnicity; it is a nationality.

So I think you are ranting against something that doesn't exist. But if it made you feel better, please carry on.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Hobart View Post

We are all Americans guys.
        This is Hawai'i Hobart. Only naive transplants from the ContUS would go around claiming to be American. In Hawai'i, you are your ethnicity. Thanks for proving my point.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobart View Post
          I am 100% Caucasian (Italian, English and German)... For you guys to say you are Japanese or Chinese is like me saying that I am Italian or German or English.
          But, you did say you're Italian, German, or English. See how you felt it was natural to "break down" what kind of Caucasian you are? Well, some people like to "break down" what kind of Asian they are.

Plenty of Americans identify via their ancestry even though they're Americans. In Hawaii, we might say we're Japanese or Chinese. In New York City, people might say they're Italian or German. In neither case are we inherently disclaiming our American nationality. We're just making connections via our ethnicity.

Damn straight I'm an American. But I'm pretty sure someone who asks "what are you?" doesn't need that explained.

Sure, some folks overstate their identity. I can see a Japanese American guy in Kansas suddenly developing a wannabe Tokyo native attitude. But, well, if you're going to be singled out for your differentness, one response is to embrace it... even if you really wouldn't last a week on a Tokyo street.

As for cultural fetishism? That's another thing entirely. Hell, it seems people of every ethnicity have come to conclude that Chinese culture is cool. It's not just Chinese Americans getting Chinese character tattoos and quoting Confucius. This sort of thing has been going on for generations, though, and ties again to "embracing otherness."

But yeah, if calling Japanese Americans who embrace their Japanese background posers makes you feel better... enjoy. Personally, depending on the context, I wouldn't blame 'em at all.

Comment

When people ask me where I'm from (or my personal fave, "what are you?" ), I'll deliberately say I'm from Alabama, adding the southern drawl for good measure, as that was where I was born. They just look at me, all discomfited, because that's obviously now the answer they wanted. Then I usually have mercy on them and give them the answer they are looking for, that I'm of Indian ancestry. Like someone else said, people can tell by my accent/clothing that I'm obviously American--but they want to know more about my ethnicity. WIthin the Indian-American community, there's an assumption that you WILL share in the cultural identity and celebrate it--and if not, there must be something wrong with you, that you are ashamed of your background or something.
            Last edited by AbsolutChaos; November 11, 2006, 07:39 AM.

Comment

So, if I continue studying American Sign Language, become fluent in it, and immerse myself in the culture of my friends and colleagues who have no hearing --- using Hobart's logic, I can therefore call myself Deaf?

Comment

Hahahahahahahahahaha...most absurd claim/discussion/thread of the millennium. For one thing, Filipinos know how to spell Filipino. Real good point btw, Leo Lakio. You took him to church with that.

Where's the person who has the sig "white man always ask, indian know how" ?

And Hobart, experiences don't make up ethnicities on its own--history has a major role in ethnic identification. Try learning ebonics, wearing a kufi and claiming you're Black.
                Last edited by Mike_Lowery; November 11, 2006, 08:44 AM.
                Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                  You're confusing yourself (it's okay. it happens) with two different ideas of what people mean when they say they are Japanese. I'm pretty dang sure that just about every person around here who claims to be Japanese is really saying he or she is of Japanese ancestry. Have you always thought people meant they are culturally Japanese? Because that's kinda dumb. Of course we're American, but "American" is not an ethnicity; it is a nationality.

So I think you are ranting against something that doesn't exist. But if it made you feel better, please carry on.
                  Pretty much totally agree with this. Honestly, I'm still debating whether or not this is just a trolling attempt, because the logic is a little out there.

People (normally tourists) ask me all the time "what I am". I get asked this so often, it's become a part of my daily routine. I'll say I'm hapa, then usually have to go into a description of what that means. Sometimes they'll persist even more until I break down it down into percentages. I don't mind all that much, though. The tourists are usually curious in a really friendly way, and they always fall over themselves telling me how beautiful my daughters and wife are.

My sisters and I visited Norway last summer to see our paternal grandparents and ohana, and the locals there were full on staring at us. I felt like I was a zoo animal or something. It made my sisters a little uncomfortable, but I decided to treat it like a compliment and would just start struttin around like a peacock. lol

Comment

nobody has the right to tell me what my identity should be. And if I choose to call myself Chinese because of my Chinese ancestry, regardless of its quantum and regardless of the last pilgrimage I made to that land, that is my business and my prerogative.

pax

Comment

There's no way I would ever say I'm just American. That's insulting to my ancestors. My ancestry didn't just disappear because Hawai`i became a state. Not gonna get into the whole if the islands are illegally occupied or not thing but there are definitely people in the 'aina who do not feel that they are American at all and that is their right.

I'm proudly part Chinese and will continue to proudly be part Chinese. Two out of three of my keiki have beautiful almond eyes and it's not thanks to being "American."
                      I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

I understand Hobart's statements somewhat. I am 100% Japanese but never been to my "Homeland" and can't speak much less understand the language of my ancestors. Does that make me Japanese culturally? I doubt it. I'm about as USA as it gets.

One thing about the whole culture thing though is that a lot of modern day Japanese (especially the younger crowd) nationals have lost a lot of their ancestral roots pertaining to respect for elders and the mission of martial arts being a discipline and not a self-defense. The Japan of old isn't the Japan of now culturally speaking. Is that good? I don't know I'm not Japanese of now so I'm a bit biased.

But one thing I will not do is to go to Japan and tell the nationals there what being Japanese is all about, it's their country not mine. It's called Respect. And Hobart thanks for making that distinction for those of us Japanese that don't hold to that I'm a better Japanese than others despite not having lived there because I'm no poser and I laugh at those who try to be something they're not.

The only part of your statement I find distressing though is that yes culturally you may be more Japanese than I, but ethnically speaking I can look you in the eye and say, "I'm 100% Japanese and you're not", no matter how hard you try. You're either born with that ethnicity or you're not.

You can scream and even curse at me in Japanese and I won't understand a word of it (except for Bakatari), but despite all that I'm still Japanese, nothing can or will ever change that.

But I do admire caucasian people who have mastered the culture and language of Japan and am in awe at their ability to speak it fluently, I think it's great that Western people can integrate with Eastern cultures and languages, my hat off to you.

Now how about Tony Romo on my up and down team the Dallas Cowboys, I think Parcells is one foot out already oh the glory days of the 70's just won't shine on that team.
                        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
                          And Hobart, experiences don't make up ethnicities on its own--history has a major role in ethnic identification. Try learning ebonics, wearing a kufi and claiming you're Black.

Like 95% of American non black youth are doing right now ? I have to say, this is a pet peeve for me.
                          http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                          Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                          Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

"I mean I have now been living in Asia for about 12 years and even though I am 100% Caucasian (Italian, English and German). I feel I could confidently say that I am lot more Asian than most of you posers that are actually just Americans that look Asian."

So being born and raised in Hawaii makes me more Hawaiian then some one of Hawaiian blood born in Japan? You sound like someone not comfortable in thier own skin. YOU ARE NOT MORE ASIAN THAN ME IDIOT! I lived in Oregon for a while and it didnt make me anymore Caucasian than I was already. Where do get off calling us posers? You contradict your self saying one one hand you are more Asian then us and than on the other saying you are 100% Caucasian. Which is it? You do have a point saying that we are all 100% American I'll give you that. Just living somewhere for a while and learning the launguage doesnt make you anything.

Comment

Hobart, maybe you had a bad day and just needed to vent. And that's fine. But I like to ask you what you think about all those Asian-Americans that do indeed identify themselves as Americans but every now and then, they get taunted with "go back to where you came from" by their fellow Caucasian Americans? Over time, maybe they're just trying to find a niche where they belong and thus appear as posers to you?

As for seeing some Asian-Americans showing signs of racism to their respective cultural brothers/sisters, that's not posers, that's just racists. Racists can be of any ethnicity, gender, background, color, etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X