• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Asian Posers: You guys are 100% American

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
    I am an AMERICAN!
    Originally posted by Keanu View Post
    Why would we go around calling ourselves American, that kind of goes without saying.
    Love the contrast. You guys could not have had better posting timing

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
      Being born in the United States of America doesn't give anyone the right to call themselves American just as being born in Hawaii doesn't give anyone the right to call themselves Hawaiian.
      Uhhhh...what? If you're born in America you're certainly as American as anyone else who is. Not less, nor more. What else would (or could) you be? Nothing? Illegitimate? That certainly seems to be what you're implying.

Comment

Originally posted by Keanu View Post
        Perhaps in your world. But this is Hawai'i and in Hawai'i ethnicity is not an illusion, it defines who we are.
        It certainly defines those who have little else in the way of accomplishments by which to define themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
          This post really bugs me. My grandfather fought for this country, diligently paid his taxes, was gainfully employed, and inherently believed in the sovereignty of these islands and our people. He would not fit under your sweeping umbrella, but was no racist. In fact, to wave him under the name of "American" was demeaning to him, yet he most likely did more to bring honor to that term than most Americans do today. He educated himself about international law, and felt it his civic duty to champion for Hawaiian rights, and said this until the day he died "with sovereignty comes responsibility".

I don't think you are rude, but misinformed.
          Well, I'm neither, but thanks ever so much for the condescending remark. It's not my "sweeping umbrella"; it's a fact. Born in the United States of America, or a territory thereof that later became a state, = American.

Comment

I got an IDEA!

For anyone who don't consider themselves to be an American, don't want to be associated being called Americans...catch the next plane or ship out to another country.

Just my opinion.

I love Public Forums!

Auntie Lynn
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza View Post
              It certainly defines those who have little else in the way of accomplishments by which to define themselves.

Typical elitist western attitude, defining ones self by accomplisments, LOL. You should take Tim Kona out for Coffee, I'm sure you two hollow- heads would get along just fine.

Comment

I'm tooo lazy to read ALL the reply's to this thread but I did read enough to say this is one touchy subject...

Anyways, this is how I feel, whether it matters to anyone else~i really don't give a whotty-tooty care...

I'm proud that I am from Hawaiian Ancestry, born in Hawaii, and live in Hawaii...and can boldly state that I am Hawaiian(cuz its in my blood). Now the part where people say their american...thats great but the interesting thing is that, thats not an ethnicity, no one has American blood, do they? (correct me if I'm wrong)

Haole men came from England, stake claim in north America and said, "We're American & this is United States of America" Did a whole new species form on that day? From that day on, did every child born have american blood in them? I' don't think it did, but the funny thing about it is, or should I say, the cool thing about it is that a new and original country was made on that day. A country where no matter what ethnicity you were, you would be accepted here, 'be free' persay(history somewhat defied that cause of all the horrific racism which occured) BUT get my point. Those people(Forefathers) made an amazing thing...
                oh fart, I gotta go~ I'll continue this thought tomarrow!!!

Aloha all goodnight!

KaYa T.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                  I got an IDEA!

For anyone who don't consider themselves to be an American, don't want to be associated being called Americans...catch the next plane or ship out to another country.

Just my opinion.

I love Public Forums!

Auntie Lynn
                  I'd love to say I'm American (because for all practical purposes I am) but technically I'm not.

Americans are those who are indiginent to that land or continent(s). I consider myself a citizen of the United States of America just as I consider myself a resident of the state of Hawaii. But like Hawaii I cannot call myself Hawaiian so that logic implies that I cannot call myself American because American does denote a place of origin ethnically speaking just as being Hawaiian.

If I feel it's politically correct to call myself American, then I should be able to call myself Hawaiian as well...but I won't for all the reasons that have been hashed out in HT on other thread topics relating to Hawaii and ethnicity.

Americans as a group of races is just as much of a catch all as Polynesian is to Pacific Islanders. Americans included everybody indiginent from North to South America just as Polynesian includes everybody from Tahiti to Hawaii and all others inclusive.

For those of us who feel that there is a distinction between being a resident of Hawaii and being Hawaiian, that same distinction must be considered when looking at the continents of America and those native to those lands.

I am neither native to Hawaii or North America where my citizenship resides in. My claim and many other of us here can only claim to be citizens of the United States of America just as we can only claim to be residents of Hawaii. Not native American nor native Hawaiian.

I'm one really patriotic person when it comes to the USA but let's get terminology correct here if we are going to make distinctions between America and Hawaii and what we call ourselves.
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Maddie, *my* condescending remark??

The Hawaiians I know are as "proud" as anyone else to call themselves American. For you to assume otherwise is just plain racist.

Pot. Kettle. Black.

pax

Comment

I am a citizen born in the US who is entitled to have a job here if I pay my taxes. I am not necessarily 100% "American" in the way many people define it because I don't necessarily have the same core values as the majority of people who call themselves "Americans".

And my ethnicity has nothing to do with my citizenship (my nationality)...my de facto citizenship came about because my grandparents emigrated legally to this country in the late 1800s, as did the parents and grandparents of many other people who also can claim different ethnicities and are also citizens.

Many people don't realize that the name "America" was pinned on this country by a GERMAN cartographer who wanted to honor Amerigo Vespucci. Think about it: this country could have been called "Vespucciland" instead! We could all have become "Vespuccians".

Miulang
                      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
                        This post really bugs me. My grandfather fought for this country, diligently paid his taxes, was gainfully employed, and inherently believed in the sovereignty of these islands and our people. He would not fit under your sweeping umbrella, but was no racist. In fact, to wave him under the name of "American" was demeaning to him, yet he most likely did more to bring honor to that term than most Americans do today. He educated himself about international law, and felt it his civic duty to champion for Hawaiian rights, and said this until the day he died "with sovereignty comes responsibility".

I don't think you are rude, but misinformed.
                        Originally posted by MadAzza View Post
                        Well, I'm neither ... It's not my "sweeping umbrella"; it's a fact. Born in the United States of America, or a territory thereof that later became a state, = American.
                        Or so you say. I’m willing to bet real cash that any Hawaiian Studies professor would vehemently disagree with you.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                        USA TODAY, page 2A
                        11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                          Or so you say. I’m willing to bet real cash that any Hawaiian Studies professor would vehemently disagree with you.
                          a pidgeon picking a fight with two eagles is not the best of ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                            I'd love to say I'm American (because for all practical purposes I am) but technically I'm not.

I'm one really patriotic person when it comes to the USA but let's get terminology correct here if we are going to make distinctions between America and Hawaii and what we call ourselves.
                            From Wikipedia User:RK/What being an American citizen means
                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:RK..._citizen_means

Excerpt: "We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." Benjamin Franklin’s comment to delegates preparing to sign the Declaration of Independence. The year 1777 was known as the year of the Hangman from the resemblance of the numeral seven to a gallows and the British expectation of a speedy hanging of all Rebels. "United we stand, divided we fall" is the motto of the great Commonwealth of Kentucky. The Source is beleived to be The Liberty Song by John Dickinson. (1732-1808)

"This is an excerpt form a biography of Patrick Henry. He said it on March 4,1799, 3 months before he died. I believe that we owe it to him that we give him credit for this and not take it away by saying that some one else said it or wrote it. Thank you."

"Finally George Washington persuaded him to become a candidate for representative in the Virginia state legislature. Henry made his last great speech during this campaign. The speech was a denial of a state's right to decide the constitutionality of federal laws. Henry told the voters: "United we stand, divided we fall. Let us not split into factions which must destroy that union upon which our existence hangs." Henry won the election, but he died before he could take office. Henry was buried at Red Hill."

My vein runs the blood of my ancestors which I am proud of. I was born when Hawai'i was a Territorial State. My children fight for our country and would give their lives for her. I am proud to be their mother. I am also PROUD to be an AMERICAN CITIZEN!

I am an AMERICAN!

I respect everyone's opinion.

Freedom of Speech is one of our RIGHTS!

Auntie Lynn
                            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
                              a pidgeon picking a fight with two eagles is not the best of ideas.
                              Good thing I’m not a pidgeon then. Take your beer goggles off for a second, Mānoa, as you obviously cannot see that I am a mynah bird (though you living here as long as you have should have given you an ear for one). BTW - your “two-eagle” analogy didn’t work since I only disagree with one bird.

Keep butting in with nothing of value to say, as you usually do.
                              Last edited by TuNnL; November 13, 2006, 08:31 PM. Reason: clarification

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                              USA TODAY, page 2A
                              11 March 1993

Comment

I understand that the term "American" covers the entire North & South America so the correct term would be I'm a citizen of the USA. I understand the term "Hawaiian" refers to the native people of Hawaii. So the correct term for me is to be called a resident of Hawaii. But in everyday conversations, this can get tedious. It's like Prince and his name "The Artist Formerly Known as Prince". I thought that was why the term "Native" was added? You know, "Native Americans" and "Native Hawaiians". Doesn't that work for everyone? Or are people sensitive to that too? As for calling ourselves "Americans", I don't think any other country in the New World cares. They were smart enough to name their countries uniquely so they have a name to call themselves.

Canada = Canadians
                                Brazil = Brazilians
                                Panama = Panamanians
                                Etc = Etcarians

I think Hobart just wanted to start some flame material. I've noticed only one initial entry and then nothing more.

Comment

Working...
                                X