Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HPD cars flashing lights to go through red lights

Originally posted by MadAzza View Post
    ....I follow traffic laws. I damn well want the police to follow them, too.
    yeah, but how do you REALLY feel about them?
    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Originally posted by blueyecicle View Post
      I dunno Madazza, it's pretty bad here some days!
      Yeah, that's why I qualified it with the "in my experience" comment.

But shootings don't count! I was just talking about driving stuff.

Comment

I've gotten one ticket in the nearly seven years that I've lived here.

I must say I was a bit shocked. Over the speed limit, yeah, but on the Pali. No other cars in sight.

AND....I was wearing my scrubs and my hospital ID.

NO COP in NY would EVER ticket a nurse. NEVER. Of any color, creed, or ethnic background.

Paybacks are hell.

I did make note of the officer's name.

Comment

Yeah, that's why I qualified it with the "in my experience" comment.

But shootings don't count! I was just talking about driving stuff.
          I get frustrated too! It's just not cool when there is no one policing the police! Who is SUPPOSED to protect ya!...That's why I carry a camera.
          Since when is psycho a bad thing??
          Sharing withother survivors...
          www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

I carry a camera too, Pink. I mean, Blue.

One time I took a picture of an HPD officer throwing a butt out his window. I have it on my hard drive.

Comment

Well, everyone has had different experiences. In my experience, the most dingbat-type cops are sitting at a desk taking phone calls. The ones on the street seem fairly competent.

My only real gripe are those patrol guys who stand around at the crime scene. Honestly, these guys are getting paid to basically ensure that no one passes the yellow tape. That’s all well and good if anything beyond the tape is a genuine scene of a crime. But often these guys put an extra yard, or 20, or 50, just to make sure residents, lookyloos, news media, and miscellaneous other onlookers can’t see what they are doing. I can just imagine the conversation: “Lieutenant, we determined there is no evidence beyond the front yard. If we can come in closer, we can more easily secure the perimeter.” Response: “Don’t be in an idiot, Domingo. The tape is where it is in case one of us f**ks up. You no can see all those guys watching?”

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
              USA TODAY, page 2A
              11 March 1993

Comment

Aw jeez... I deal with police probably more than anyone here... sure, there are a few who seem to have a stick up their butt, but for the most part the folks I deal with are actually pretty cool. Again, it has to do with attitude. You deal with them with "you're a cop, therefore you're a dick" mentality, they will give it back to you.

As for the red light thing, more likely than not they may be responding to a situation where they don't want to call attention to themselves. They'll flip the lights, run the intersection, then turn everything off and keep going to where they need to go. Not all calls require screaming sirens and blinding lights.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                  As for reporting, that will be hard. Let's face it, HPD will protect their own. Only way I can see you ever making it stick is if you're on purposely hunting down their bad apples - filming it and throwing it out there to news stations, you tube, etc.
                  Cool! I get to use my video function on my phone! (but I don't think anyone would like to see a 10 second video with a resolution of 176x144 on TV, or Youtube on that matter).
                  How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

You deal with them with "you're a cop, therefore you're a dick" mentality, they will give it back to you.

Dick is right. Leave the cops alone. They got one fn tough job. My brother is a cop. He is really the only cop that I think is a dick. But he's my brother first, so I can call him that, cuz he was a dick way before he was a cop.

Take my brother's advice. There are only two sentences you should speak to a police officer. "Yes, Sir" & "No, Sir." Everything else is TMI.

And if you got a complaint about the cops, head on down to the Training Center and sign up. There are lot's of openings in every city in America.

In the end, the winner is the guy who had the LEAST amount of contact with the police.
                    FutureNewsNetwork.com
                    Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Maddie used to have a problem with a policeman who'd come to her house at 2 a.m. and flash his lights until she'd come out in her nightie.

Why do cops use their lights to run red lights? Because they can. It's a power issue. But unless they're endangering someone it's not worth worrying about.
                      Burl Burlingame
                      "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                      honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
                        Maddie used to have a problem with a policeman who'd come to her house at 2 a.m. and flash his lights until she'd come out in her nightie.
                        heheheh.

You da Man! Getting back foa telling about your tickets!

Auntie Lynn
                        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

When I was the president of a local little league in Honolulu the first thing I told all parents at our orientation was: The coach gives instructions not the parents at either practice or at the games so don't confuse the kids when they're in the batter's box or on the field by giving them erroneous commands despite what the coach is telling them to do.

I went on to say that if they felt compelled to coach from the "armchair" anyway, there's plenty of positions open for assistant coaches so step right up. In other words let the coach do their job.

With cops, like Srivener said, "give them the benefit of the doubt". We really don't know what's going on so it's easy to judge from the side. Being a cop isn't an easy job. One of my friends who is a cop once told me that it's hard when you gotta go to a friends house on a report of a domestic call (family abuse).

True there are rotten apples but then there are the abusers and slackers in every career and workplace out there...we've seen them. Abuse of power? Well that happens too but when was the last time one of us allowed our friends to jump to the head of the line or passed their building permit site unseen? It happens everywhere even in retail.

But the difference is that in most cases, as a sales associate your customer won't be putting your life in danger and if they do you call the cops and pass your problem onto them and then who's the hero?

As bad as some cops may be, I won't point em out and criticize them because their job is much more stressful and dangerous than many of the jobs we on HT have and I wouldn't want to be in their shoes on a daily basis to prove it otherwise.

This is my counterpoint to put some balance in this thread because I personally don't like to see or hear "armchair" quarterbacks, coaches or law enforcement officers talk but not do the walk.

Put a badge, a uniform, a gun and the proper HPD attitude on and you get my respect. Otherwise you got your Miranda rights.
                          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by dick View Post
                            Aw jeez... I deal with police probably more than anyone here... sure, there are a few who seem to have a stick up their butt, but for the most part the folks I deal with are actually pretty cool. Again, it has to do with attitude. You deal with them with "you're a cop, therefore you're a dick" mentality, they will give it back to you.
                            If that's what you got out of my post, then you are making a huge leap there, buddy. I have close friends who are cops, I've dated cops and generally I like cops. (Any man in uniform, but that's another subject ...)

None of what you or anyone else has said tells me that cops should be able to drive recklessly and bust all the laws they expect us to follow. Cops in other states manage to use their turn signals when they're changing lanes; they can do it here, too. And I wasn't referring to running red lights WITH their lights on; I'm talking about the same lousy driving habits as so many others who learned to drive in Hawaii. And that's who most of the police are. Simple as that.

They're officers of the law. Too bad some here don't understand that.

Comment

If that's what you got out of my post, then you are making a huge leap there, buddy. I have close friends who are cops, I've dated cops and generally I like cops. (Any man in uniform, but that's another subject ...)
                              Hmmmmm...good topic for another thread. 'Dating Men/Women In Uniform?'

Nah, bumbye my secrets come out!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

The whole running the light using their lights, yea thats kinda irritating, but you know whats more annoying? 2:00am quiet night, no cars on the road, and REEEOOOOW......REEEOOOOOOW.....REEEOOOOOOOW (ten seconds later) HOOOOOOONK.....HOOOOOOONK....REEEOOOOORRRRWWW..... RREEEEEOOOOOOOORRRWW....down Ala Wai Blvd. aaaaaaaaahhhhh!!! thats so frr..furga.fartfignugen!

One time, I was at an intersection and I was behind an HPD car, the light turned green and he didn't go, so I kinda waited, still didn't move, so I beeped my horn, a friendly toot~you know da kine like the fast' beep, beep'. I saw him look in his rear view mirror, he put his car in park and WAITED 'til the light was red, couple seconds later~ he uses his light to pass through the red!!!!frig...shuga...frrart!
                                Still Salty,

KaYa. T.
                                Last edited by Got2HaVKaYaNoW; November 13, 2006, 03:56 PM.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X