HNL - Honolulu International Airport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HNL - Honolulu International Airport

The A380 actually is a more fuel efficient aircraft than the 747 when you look at cost per seat per mile. But they did miscalculate the size of the market that would need a superjumbo for their routes. Boeing learned this when they first rolled out the 747 and had to compete with the DC-10 and L-1011. All three met their market criteria but the market simply wasn't big enough to profitably sustain all of them.

The A340 got killed because of the 777, the increase in the max range of ETOPS, the increasing cost of fuel, and the opening of shorter polar routes after the fall of the USSR. They should just shut down the line to save money but I bet those crazy European work unions must have something to do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
      (I think it was UPS for the freight version.)
      Actually, it was FedEx who cancelled their A380F orders. As of now, UPS will still be receiving 10 A380F's.

-Arturo

Comment

Not every section has A/C but its there. I remember being cold while waiting for some morning flights.

Comment

I just remembered...speaking of a much needed overhaul of the airport, I think HNL's website desperately needs revamping. Does anyone know who manages the website or if they're planning on an upgrade anytime soon? It is quite annoying when Hawai’i is always a few years behind the rest of the country when it comes to these matters….
          -Arturo

Comment

Originally posted by arturo_h View Post
            I just remembered...speaking of a much needed overhaul of the airport, I think HNL's website desperately needs revamping. Does anyone know who manages the website or if they're planning on an upgrade anytime soon? It is quite annoying when Hawai’i is always a few years behind the rest of the country when it comes to these matters….
            -Arturo
            You're right on the money on that one. Trying to use HNL's website to pull up info reminds me of using Netscape 1.0 back in the day.

Comment

LOL! Yeah, I seriously thought of the same thing.

-Arturo

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
                joshuatree, I have to really chuckle on this thread. About 6 years ago, I wrote a letter to the opinion page of of West Hawaii Today about the poor infrastructure at Ke-ahole (Kona Int'l Airport). Man oh man, I stirred up a firestorm on that one. I had EIGHT negative responses to my letter. Some of the comments were like, "If you want jet ways so bad, move back to the mainland." In short, it really shell shocked me. I didn't bother to write another letter to the editor a for a few years.
                I actually like the openness of the Keahole Airport. It's refreshing to be able to walk to the plane and feel the sun...just like the old days at HNL. There's something about walking on the tarmac getting to your plane that makes you feel like you're actually travelling. With jetways it's hard to get that feeling anymore.

I wish HNL would go back to the 60's with the open air waiting areas and that rock lava/water fountain that greeted you as you drove in. This huge water fountain that shot streams of water up in the air illuminated by red underwater lights gave it the impression of fountaing lava.

Plus the outdoor top deck where you could wave at your departing friends and family as the plane taxied away, blowing you sideways as you caught the exhaust of the jets all the while steel string hawaiian music wafted thru the air thru piped in music.

Back then as a kid going to the airport to see the planes come and go was exciting and exhillerating especially when you got to see the planes up close and feel the exhaust blowing you away like the Pali. Now it's too anticeptic, just plain boring.
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                  I think all the runways at HNL are more that adequate. In fact, the reef runway is designated as a backup landing site for the space shuttle so I think they gave it plenty of room.
                  From the graphic given in the Honolulu Advertiser article it seems that the reef runway is slighter shorter than the runway that is closer to the terminals.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                    From the graphic given in the Honolulu Advertiser article it seems that the reef runway is slighter shorter than the runway that is closer to the terminals.
                    But it's farther out making for an easier target to land on from space than a runway closer to the terminals.

I remember when I took a Hawaiian airlines flight to Kona and my friend sitting next to me said as we taxied forever to the reef runway, "geez at this rate we can taxi to the Big Island". It took so long to line up to that runway, the flight attendant should have given points of interests for us bored passengers..."on your left you can see the baggage handlers mess up again with inbound baggage being loaded on to that outbound JAL flight to Japan", on the right...oh my there are some irate H.E.R.O. flight personnell from Aloha and Hawaiian pelting the Go aircraft with tomatoes...ketchup anyone?" Thank you for flying Mahalo Airlines bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz (INHALE) zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                      But it's farther out making for an easier target to land on from space than a runway closer to the terminals.
                      Hmmm or maybe the shuttle wouldn't have to fly over housing to on it's approach to land on the reef runway, then again the reef runway is wider.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                        I actually like the openness of the Keahole Airport.
                        Actually 6 years after I wrote my letter, the HDOT is starting the process of
                        renovating Keahole. Some of the highlights will be an enclosed terminal area,
                        expanded parking lot, and jet ways. Unfortunately, due to security concerns,
                        it just doesn't make sense to have an open air airport anymore.

link
                        Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                        The Kona Blog

Comment

I thought NASA scrapped HNL as an emergency landing spot for their orbiters because of ferrying costs back to FL or CA? I could be wrong...

My flight from HNL to LIH took off from the reef runway. Flight duration from takeoff-landing: 18 minutes. Including taxiing: 40 minutes. smh
                          Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
                            I thought NASA scrapped HNL as an emergency landing spot for their orbiters because of ferrying costs back to FL or CA? I could be wrong...
                            Well, I could see how it wouldn't be a preferred spot, but when you've got an emergency.....

I guess the real question is what did it cost NASA to maintain the reef runway as a possible spot. It all comes down to budget.

Comment

And the reef runway isn't the only spot. I understand Denver is one as well as one in Spain or the Canary Islands or in that part of the world, sort of remember they delayed a launch because that site didn't have good weather in case they had to scrub the flight and had to land there.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                                The A380 actually is a more fuel efficient aircraft than the 747 when you look at cost per seat per mile. But they did miscalculate the size of the market that would need a superjumbo for their routes. Boeing learned this when they first rolled out the 747 and had to compete with the DC-10 and L-1011. All three met their market criteria but the market simply wasn't big enough to profitably sustain all of them.

The A340 got killed because of the 777, the increase in the max range of ETOPS, the increasing cost of fuel, and the opening of shorter polar routes after the fall of the USSR. They should just shut down the line to save money but I bet those crazy European work unions must have something to do with it.
                                Boeing's 787 could be the end of the A380, once it reaches production. Last I read, almost 500 orders for the 787 have already been made, and it's still in the final stages of design. Composite material, no hydraulic systems, up to 330 passenger capacity, 20% increased fuel effeciency (compared to the most modern 767), while not requiring airports that can handle superjumbos= one piff airliner. If this plane comes true, I'll be at HNL more often
                                Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Working...
                                X