Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's that noise?

Lightbulb Re: Fireworks Display in Waikīkī

Quote Originally Posted by GeckoGeek View Post
    I've never heard about anyone complaining about professional fireworks. Just the amateur stuff.
    You’re but one pea in the pod, Gecko. I only participated in this thread because numerous people have complained to be about the Waikīkī “professional” fireworks display. Maybe Hale Koa could have put out an informational press release or something (whoah, what a concept)? Then again, like Mike_Lowery points out, they’re the military and do whatever the hell they want.

Default Re: Fireworks Display in Waikīkī

Quote Originally Posted by TuNnL View Post
    You’re but one pea in the pod, Gecko. I only participated in this thread because numerous people have complained to be about the Waikīkī “professional” fireworks display.
    I imagine Waikiki residents and folks within earshot have probably griped, but as a former Waikiki resident, crowds and noise generally come with the territory.

Meanwhile, as one of "the anti-fireworks crowd that comes out of the woodwork on New Year’s Eve and July 4," as you say, I concur with GeckoGeek that professional displays don't fall into the same category. In fact, whenever I rail against residential neighborhoods lighting up and burning homes down (meawhile causing havoc for people with respiratory issues), I always say that folks should leave it to the pros, get out of their crowded cul-de-sacs and go to Kaneohe Bay or Kailua Beach or Aloha Tower or Ala Moana.
    Then again, like Mike_Lowery points out, they’re the military and do whatever the hell they want.
    I think you're onto something here.

Default Re: Fireworks Display in Waikīkī

Quote Originally Posted by TuNnL View Post
    ...Then again, like Mike_Lowery points out, they’re the military and do whatever the hell they want.
    As Lavagal pointed out they(usually the Hilton)do this quite a bit especially for conventioneers and of course for people who can afford it. It's that grassy area between the Hale Koa and the Army Musuem. It's usually "fenced" off and they set up tables, buffets, and sometimes a huge stage with monster speakers on scaffolds. I remember a few years ago when the Oracle group came down, one would have thought a rock concert was happening because the stage was huge. I take walks along that area all the time and I know they have a lot of events there. So I don't think the military had anything to do with this, other than maybe renting out the space.

Default to erika engle

any chance that you'll be writing a short piece on last night's event? everyone that i've run into today is talking about it and wondering what it was about...
    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Default Re: What's that noise?

Why all the fuss? Seems like this happens every few months. Everyone is acting all surprised.

Because this was one was about 15 minutes longer than the usual ones and it was at a different location.

its still a mystery?
    Aquaponics in Paradise !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12