Tsunami Warning for Hawaii for November 2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tsunami Warning for Hawaii for November 2006

I just saw something on CNN.com that you guys are on a Tsunami warning. Hope you all are ok!
    -kp!

Re: Tsunami Warning for Hawaii?

Cancelled.
    An 8.1 earthquake near the Kuril Islands, Japan generates a tsunami bulletin: THE TSUNAMI WARNING AND WATCH ARE CANCELLED FOR ALL COASTAL AREAS AND ISLANDS IN THE PACIFIC OUTSIDE OF ALASKA - BRITISH COLOMBIA - WASHINGTON - OREGON - CALIFORNIA. THOSE AREAS SHOULD REFER TO MESSAGES FROM THE WEST COAST AND ALASKA TSUNAMI WARNING CENTER.

Comment

Looks like we did get hit with the Tsunami
      said the tsunami varied from 8 inches at Hanalei to 1.6 inches at Nawiliwili.
      http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...506893724.html

Comment

There has been sort of a running commentary about it in the Advertiser this morning:

http://honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/frontpage

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
          There has been sort of a running commentary about it in the Advertiser this morning
          Yes, and with the extremely misleading headline of "Tsunami Sweeps Hawaii".
          Shame on them.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

My wife got the call this morning right after the "Warning" and the first thing I said after being so abruptly awaken that early in the morning with a phone call to her was, "Why didn't the sirens go off!"

Then I find out the warning was downgraded to a watch. I took a pepto and went back to sleep. I live within a 5-minute walk from the beach.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Uh, what headline would you recommend? It was a tsunami, it did sweep the state. What's misleading?

Comment

I kept hearing on the news about the 12"-16" tsunami that was generated. How is a tsunami measured? If it's a wave, wouldn't it look pretty much like any other 12"-16" wave? Or, does the tide rise that much and a bouy measures it?

Comment

Originally posted by poinographer View Post
                  Uh, what headline would you recommend? It was a tsunami, it did sweep the state. What's misleading?
                  With a headline like that (especially after the earthquake) I'm bracing myself for the deluge of phone calls and emails from people who only read headlines and not the body of the story.

Obviously when people see the word Tsunami, we think of massive waves ripping out everything in it's wake. Not too many people consider that any wake caused by an underwater earthquake is defined as a tsunami.

When advertisers use the word Tsunami, they are trying to paint the picture of BIG. Same goes in the thinking of people who don't really know how small tsunami's can get.
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Breaking News from The StarBulletin!
                    http://starbulletin.com/breaking/breaking.php?id=5132

Ocean surges close Hanauma Bay

Posted on: Wednesday, November 15, 2006 2:32 PM HST
                    Star-Bulletin Staff

"City officials closed the beach at Hanauma Bay this morning because of ocean surges caused by the powerful eartquake off Japan.

City officials said the sea changes exposed the reef and created dangerous currents.

“Our people there reported the currents and the surge in the bay were really strange,” said Dr. Libby Char, director of the Honolulu Emergency Services Department. “The water level would drop several feet in a few minutes, then come back.”

There was a Tsunami!

Auntie Lynn
                    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I was at Magic Island this morning around 8:30 am and you could definitely see the "surge". Although there were no "big waves" to speak of you could tell that the water was coming in at a high rate of speed. There were pieces of wood and other rubbish that were coming in by the Yacht Club at faster than normal speed, in other words in wasn't just the tide coming in. Also although the ocean was relatively flat the water was hitting the breakers with enough force to make it "splash". I watched this for about 15 minutes and was in awe that even without waves the water could still move at that rate. So I'm very glad that there were no waves. It would be interesting to hear what surfers or divers felt at the time.
                      Last edited by D'Alani; November 15, 2006, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by poinographer View Post
                        See Craig's reply (#9, above).
                        The headline "Tsunami Sweeps Hawaii" implies that a giant wave washed over the top of all the islands, or something close to that. The headline was sensationalistic. Suitable for a supermarket tabloid. It brought to mind the vivid TV images of the tsunami hitting Indonesia on December 26, 2004.
                        Ergo, and to answer your question, the Advertiser's headline should've made it very clear that it was SMALL tsunami surges.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                          ..The headline was sensationalistic...
                          More than sensational, but not quite sensationalistical, eh?

pax

Comment

Originally posted by D'Alani View Post
                            I was at Magic Island this morning around 8:30 am and you could definitely see the "surge". Although there were no "big waves" to speak of you could tell that the water was coming in at a high rate of speed. There were pieces of wood and other rubbish that were coming in by the Yacht Club at faster than normal speed. inother words in wasn't just the tide coming in. Also although the ocean was relatively flat the water was hitting the breakers with enough force to make it "splash". I watched this for about 15 minutes and was in awe that even without waves the water could still move at that rate. So I'm very glad that there were no waves. It would be interesting to hear what surfers or divers felt at the time.
                            How interesting. I really wish I'd been home this morning to watch the surge against the breakwater outside my living room. Still, I'd love to know how a 12"-16" tsunami is measured.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                              I'd love to know how a 12"-16" tsunami is measured.
                              With a 17" ruler.

Comment

Working...
                              X