Tsunami Warning for Hawaii for November 2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tsunami Warning for Hawaii?

lol i thought it was a typo! 16 INCHES? did they mean feet? stories?

inches.
    life is ok sometimes

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
      With a 17" ruler.

Heh! I did imagine someone in the water with a tape measure.

Comment

Well, it didn't affect Hawaii much but it hit Crescent California pretty good!

CRESCENT CITY – Two docks were destroyed after a five-foot surge rolled into the Crescent City Harbor on Wednesday afternoon and caused up to $700,000 in damages.
        The surge was the result of an undersea earthquake with a magnitude of 8.1 that struck earlier in the day near Japan, prompting tsunami warnings for Japan, Russia and Alaska, according to the National Weather Service.

Thousands of people living along northern Japan's Pacific coast fled to higher ground, but Japan's meteorological agency withdrew its tsunami warning after about three hours. Tsunami warnings for Russia and coastal areas of Alaska also were canceled, as were tsunami watches for Hawaii, the Philippines, Taiwan, Indonesia and several Pacific islands.
        One swimmer suffered minor cuts when small surges hit Waikiki beach on the Hawaiian island of Oahu.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/s...iatsunami.html
        Since when is psycho a bad thing??
        Sharing withother survivors...
        www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

have you ever watched footage from the Indian Ocean tsunamis? Youtube and metacafe contain many clips. Watching them made me rethink the effects of these waves, foremost among them being that it is more about the force of the whole ocean behind the waves/surges than the actual waves themselves. The height of the wave needs to be put in perspective with the force of water accompanying it.

pax

Comment

well, yeah! Because if even if the injuries were only minor the swimmmer still got hurt from the surges. It doesn't measure the power of it. I don't think the swells that did damage in CA were high. Just powerful.
            Since when is psycho a bad thing??
            Sharing withother survivors...
            www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
              does the tide rise that much and a bouy measures it?
              That's probably what it is.

As others have observed, a tsunami isn't really a "wave" that most people are used to. It is a wave, but with a very long period. I think I was told once that if the crest hits the beach, the trough is on the horizon. The effect on the water is more like the tide coming in/going out. (But much faster) Hence the name "tidal wave". That's why it's so lame for surfers to run down to the beach to try and surf this thing. There's simply nothing to surf. Hopefully this experience will help educate the public about what kind of "wave" a "tidal wave" is.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that the bouy measures the height of the swell by the rise and fall of the bouy and also the lenght of time that the swell passes under the bouy. From this info they can estimate how big the wave will be when it enters shallow waters. The ETA of the surge was accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by D'Alani View Post
                  The ETA of the surge was accurate.
                  ETA is simple: Time of event + distance/speed of wave

Now wave height, that's a tricker estimate. Good to see that they were close. I'm sure they'll go over their data and see if they can improve.

Comment

Don't know if I told this story or not, but I just did a search and could not find it. So here goes. This is some funny $#!+, as told to me by several who were there.

On the morning of the earthquake, the Old Airport football field was filling with families setting up Pop-Tents & coolers at 6:30 AM getting ready for a the first 8 AM Pop Warner Football Game. Babies crawling, Uncles breakin out the WD-40 from their "oh so stocked" $80,000 Dodge cuz "damn ting stay stucking" when the tent poles won't properly extend. Tutu gettin the snack bar ready, everybody smiling & laughing, and football players gettin suited and warmed up. A Rockwell snapshot of life in Hawaii.

Then the Earthquake, you know the one at about ten after 7 am.

Right away, after everybody stand up, somebody thought about the possible Tsunami that could be comin' in. Well, man you shoulda seen it.

300 lb fathers (former football players back in the glory day) carrying babies, one under each arm, with a 7 year old on shoulders, running, no I mean RUNNING, with Auntie right behind, toward their Fancy Fords, Shiny Chevy's, and Dually Dodges, toss the keiki into the bed like cordwood, and jump in.

Full Le Mans Start !! Dodge vs. Chevy vs. Ford.......Horsepower City with machine gun gravel spewin, chewin up the Old Airport parking lot, like the Dukes of Hazzard meets the Drifting Crowd. Two lanes wide goin up Makalapua toward K-Mart, with lots of "passing" at 90+mph, while engines that have never seen 5000 RPM's in the Kona Crawl, flex their Detroit muscles and smile proudly. "Buggah wen go Bra!"

Rumour has it that the Ford's won, and nobody collided. Does it matter?
                    The visuals are just FUNNY.

And when they got back to the field 15 minutes later, there was a homeless guy riffling through the coolers, eating their food.
                    FutureNewsNetwork.com
                    Energy answers are already here.

Comment

TimKona,

I wuz pissed from da Watada Thread but afta reading your story I'm ALL SMILES NOW!

Only in Hawai'i!!!

Mahalo

Auntie Lynn
                      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I can't believe KGMB wasted 12 mins of news time on a non-tsunami. I guess being out of the loop during the earthquake, they had to do a complete overkill.
                        Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                        Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear View Post
                          I can't believe KGMB wasted 12 mins of news time on a non-tsunami. I guess being out of the loop during the earthquake, they had to do a complete overkill.
                          Actually, I learned more about what happened throughout the Pacific basin from Guy Hagi than I did from any of the other newscasts.

Non-tsunami? An unusual tidal surge of five feet in some places, repeating every 40 minutes for a couple of hours? It might not have been a major one, but there was a tsunami.

That's newsworthy.

Comment

And if we had to be hit by a tsunami in the future, the size that hit yesterday would be the best to get hit by.

I agree with Palolo Joe it was newsworthy. I couldn't tell how minutes that KITV covered at the 10pm newscast last night but they had at least three reporters out at different places around the state showing the effects of this tsunami, while minor in it's size and very little damage it caused it still demostrates how things were not ordinary yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                              And if we had to be hit by a tsunami in the future, the size that hit yesterday would be the best to get hit by.

I agree with Palolo Joe it was newsworthy. I couldn't tell how minutes that KITV covered at the 10pm newscast last night but they had at least three reporters out at different places around the state showing the effects of this tsunami, while minor in it's size and very little damage it caused it still demostrates how things were not ordinary yesterday.
                              People on Maui did notice some very peculiar wave action ("tidal surges") at Kahului and Maalaea Harbors.

Miulang
                              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X