Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Fried Chicken?

Default Re: Best Fried Chicken?

When I was a kid in L.A. there were couple of places that you could order real pan fried chicken cooked fresh... it would take about 45 minutes and everyone would tell the waiter to start the order as soon as they came in. Nothing like it. Every once in a while I just have to cook some myself. I like to put sesame seeds in the flower and egg batter. Season to tast... Oh so good!!!

Here's a supah' easy and ono "local style" fried chicken one of the cooks at The Shack Hawaii Kai makes for us pupu style...

Sweet Shoyu & Garlic Wings
    Chicken Wings (you can substitute with other parts if desired)
    Flour
    Salt & Pepper

Shoyu
    Sugar
    Minced Garlic
    Green Onion

Heat up equal parts shoyu and sugar on stove until sugar dissolves then add minced garlic to taste (make it garlicky!). Remove from stove and set aside.

Salt & pepper the chicken wings (thawed), dredge in flour then deep fry until "GBD". Drain excess oil.

Dip the fried chicken wings into the shoyu/sugar/garlic liquid and immediately remove (try to catch some of the minced garlic on each piece of chicken as you remove it). Place in serving bowl and garnish with chopped green onions.

Enjoy.

Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna

Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    Oh okay. How about Mitzuken fried garlic chicken? Now, that's really good too!
    My wife's recipe is wayyyy better than Mitsuken.

I like mochiko chiken or karaage chicken better than KFC.

Miulang

Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna

Quote Originally Posted by Brad White View Post
    When I was a kid in L.A. there were couple of places that you could order real pan fried chicken cooked fresh... it would take about 45 minutes and everyone would tell the waiter to start the order as soon as they came in. Nothing like it. Every once in a while I just have to cook some myself. I like to put sesame seeds in the flower and egg batter. Season to tast... Oh so good!!!

Hey Brad...um I think you have this obsession for things "Pan"

Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles, perchance?
    "Luke, help me take this mask off. Just for once, let me look at you with my own eyes. No, it turns the other way, Luke. To the left. No, to your left. Push down and twist. Line up the little arrows. Never mind, I'll do it."

Thumbs up Re: Best Fried Chicken?

When I was a kid in L.A. there were couple of places that you could order real pan fried chicken cooked fresh...
    When in Los Angeles, THE place to go is Aunt Kizzy's Back Porch, near the marina. Every major sports team goes there when they're in town (and there are always Hollywood "celebrities" in there too, if anyone cares).
    Check it out: http://auntkizzys.com/ . Also, you can Google it and see all the rave reviews.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

This is all making me very hungry!!!

I usually get KFC if I am in the mood for fried chicken. I would get Foodland fried chicken some times too.

Been a long time since I had Popeye's chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    My wife's recipe is wayyyy better than Mitsuken.
    Coolness! Would it be possible to get a garlic chicken recipe? I have been trying to figure out how to beat that garlic chicken from Mitsuken for a while now! Thank you!!!

living in sin in kaimuki w/mixedplatebroker

Quote Originally Posted by scrivener View Post
    There are two places to get some of the most amazing fried chicken I've ever had. Tanioka's in Waipahu (it's a fish market / okazuya) and KJ's in Kaneohe. At KJ's, as I've mentioned earlier, you get for $5.50 (or so) six enormous thighs with your mac salad (or green beans or corn) and rice. It's ridiculous, and it's really good.
    uuuuuuuuuggggggghhhhhhh yeeeeeeeeeaaaaaah....

KJ's is the best, no doubt.

it's actually a full six bucks now, but it's still six thighs, two scoops rice, and a scoop macaroni (which isn't really macaroni, but spaghetti noodles dressed tastily as macaroni) salad (or corn or what have you).

i had to work the friday after thxgvg but the beau (the eric half of ericncyn) took his runt to that side, so they lunched at KJ's. bcs the runt, being ten and moody appetite, did not eat more than one piece (how that can be possible under god's earth, the chicken is soooooooooooo drool-worthy), when i came home, there were two pieces for me in the fridge.

let me tell you--da buggah was sooo tasty even tho was nuked!

and how many fried chicken recipes actually taste pretty darned good microwaved??!!!

awwww, see now! alaigoKJs!!!

The fried chicken at Dillingham Cafe is pretty good. Nice and Crispy! Also, when I go to Maui I like to stop at Minit Stop and get some of their chicken and fries.

try Pacific Supermarket in Waipahu located between Farrington and Leowahine St.

tasty!

living in sin in kaimuki w/mixedplatebroker

Thumbs down Re: Best Fried Chicken?

one place that does NOT have the best chicken is that new fili place in waipahu...Max's of Manila. supposedly, it built its reputation on a recipe for fried chicken that American GIs raved about, with the secret being the marinade. it was sooooo nothing to write home about, truly. and if you go to the website (i believe it's maxsofmanila or maxofmanila or something similar), you'll see it's rather pricey. as we say in ilocano--sayang (waste)!! i make better fried chicken just using salt, pepper, and garlic powder, the chicken at max's was soooo...banal.

Found Church's in the Pearl Ridge food Court yesterday.....OK, nothing to write home about. Not quite as good as I remember it when it was on Beretania next to Schuman Carriage.

Last Thursday, MAMA and I went to have lunch at Bob's Big Boy and we were very disappointed in the Fried Chicken! Unlike the times we've ordered during dinner...the chicken was pre-cooked. It wasn't warm to touch. The skin not crispy. For $2.00 less no soup, salad or roll. No nuttin just drink.

Yeah. I complained. The waitress apologized cause she knew they were WRONG! I told her to feel the chicken!

Do not go eat the Fried Chicken from Bob's Big Boy!

I opted for the Chop Steak ~ but even dat was too sweet.

Wat? I'm a cook...I'm hard to please.

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Quote Originally Posted by LikaNui View Post
    When in Los Angeles, THE place to go is Aunt Kizzy's Back Porch, near the marina. Every major sports team goes there when they're in town (and there are always Hollywood "celebrities" in there too, if anyone cares).
    Check it out: http://auntkizzys.com/ . Also, you can Google it and see all the rave reviews.
    Aunt Kizzy's is way over-rated. I've had better fried chicken at several of the Hometown Buffet Restaurants in the area.
    Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Quote Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
    Found Church's in the Pearl Ridge food Court yesterday.....OK, nothing to write home about.
    Ah, good to know it's open. I'm at least curious. Now that Church's Chicken and Popeye's are the same company, I'm wondering if the flavors of the two recipes have essentially become indistinguishable.

I miss Chicken Alice's, but as I've mentioned here before, we've gotten the Chicken Alice's recipe down pat and enjoy it regularly at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
    Aunt Kizzy's is way over-rated.
    How many times did you eat at Aunt Kizzy's? I've been there a few dozen times, and found long waiting lines every time. They must be doing something right. And I provided a link to a whole bunch of rave reviews.
    But hey, you know the saying... your opinion may vary!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Quote Originally Posted by pzarquon View Post
    I'm at least curious. Now that Church's Chicken and Popeye's are the same company, I'm wondering if the flavors of the two recipes have essentially become indistinguishable.
    Popeye's has the edge here. I want one of THESE to come back:

http://theimaginaryworld.com/adtour13.jpg

Chicken Karaage at Minato.

The fried chicken at Byron's Drive-In by the airport - extra greasy but pretty good.

Based on Scriv's and other recommendations, I took the twins (older kids were doing their own thing) one night awhile back to KJ's Local Grindz, in the "back" of Windward City Shopping Center (Longs side, but in the row of tenants behind Genki Sushi).

THEY WERE OUT OF FRIED CHICKEN!

Sigh. Turns out that they are likely to run out sometime around 5p based on a few factors, per an explanation to customers posted inside. If the oil gets too full of "burnt" bits, they won't cook any more because the chicken's flavor would be compromised and they can't change the oil until the next day because the oil has to cool first. (Makes sense.)

So -- starving as I was, I ordered a THREE-ITEM plate -- three proteins plus their spaghetti-noodle "mac" salad and two scoops rice. My youngest also ordered a three-item plate and the older twin got a loco moco, choosing corn, sted mac salad.

I rarely gorge myself, but please understand -- I can EAT. So can my twin boys (they're 13). The loco moco plate got finished, with a struggle ... and try as we might not to waste food, the other twin and I had several pieces of mochiko chicken left. I only didn't have chicken katsu left because I'd shared some with the loco-moco-ordering twin, because he loves chix katsu and wanted to try it.

Now, some of the mochiko chicken pieces were overcooked and tough. The katsu was fine. The LM patty had a great char-grilled flavor and the gravy was OK (not the best I've ever had, but it worked fine with the grilled patty).

Wow. Too much food. I don't remember the total price, but for the amount of food we got, it was an incredibly good deal. For someone who rarely has the budget to dine out -- even for casual fare -- I knew I'd be going back.
    Last edited by Erika Engle; January 13th, 2007 at 09:55 AM. Reason: punctuation
    I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Default Re: Best Fried Chicken? KJ's part deux

Yesterday was pay day -- hooray!

Older kids were back in school, twins haven't gone back yet. Made 'em a deal. Do a chore for me and I'd take 'em to KJ's for lunch -- when they'd CERTAINLY still have fried chicken.

THEY DID! A huge bin-full, under a warming lamp. (A bit off-putting, in a way, but more on that in a moment.)

Knowing a three-item plate would be too much, I looked over the EXTENSIVE specials on the white-board and decided on spicy chicken breast strips for $6. (Not that spicy initially, but the cumulative effect was really nice - not blow-your-head-off hot.)

Older twin chose a two-item plate of chicken katsu and mochiko chicken (some pieces were overcooked and tough, again). Younger twin ordered a loco moco.

Atop the specials board there was a mention of 6pcs of fried chicken for $6, but on the wall behind the order-taker there was a catering menu reference to 6 pcs of fried chix for $5.50. ?? The $6 was the plate with rice and mac salad or corn; the $5.50 one was just chicken. I took the just-chicken option -- and we took it all home to grind.

Three take-out plates plus the catering plate of fried chicken (no drinks) for roughly $22.

Despite being in the bin under a warming lamp, the fried chicken was REALLY hot, VERY audibly crispy and ABSOLUTELY delicious! Super-crispy outside, moist and juicy inside and a totally different experience from any of the mainland quick-service chains.

I don't know what they put in the coating (maybe that Y. Hata mixture -- as they have a Y. Hata calendar ... hmm ...), but boy was it worth the wait!

As for the loco moco this time, there was some confusion about the cash register buttons -- so when we got home we found he received a DOUBLE Loco Moco with two patties and two eggs. He finished the proteins, leaving a little bit of rice and some mac salad due to, well, duh, fullness. We didn't finish the fried chicken -- putting in the fridge for later.

Thank you thank you thank you for recommending KJ's Local Grindz!

Quote Originally Posted by Erika Engle View Post
    Based on Scriv's and other recommendations, I took the twins [---] to KJ's Local Grindz

THEY WERE OUT OF FRIED CHICKEN!

Sigh. Turns out that they are likely to run out sometime around 5p based on a few factors, per an explanation to customers posted inside. If the oil gets too full of "burnt" bits, they won't cook any more because the chicken's flavor would be compromised and they can't change the oil until the next day because the oil has to cool first. (Makes sense.)
    If fried chicken is their "bread and butter", why don't they have a fryer system that can do full-time duty? Isn't there models with filter systems? Or have two fryers, alternating use of each one to let the other cool for an oil change.

I've never worked in the restaurant industry, but I imagine there's all kinds of complicated OSHA compliances when it comes to handling restaurant cooking equipment.

KJ's chicken batter must release an excessive amount of loose (eventually burnt) particles in the oil if that's an issue there. It's good to hear their standards for quality and flavor are up though. I also wanna' try them.

All good questions, Pomai-san!

I'm sure there are fryers with filtration systems -- but not having inspected the kitchen -- not to mention my standing as a non-expert in restaurant kitchen equipment ... I don't know where to go with the rest of that sentence.

If the batter does release an excessive amount of "bits," it wasn't evidenced by any holes in the coating -- but I know what you mean, dribs and drabs can drop off into the oil without leaving pukas. I dunno.

Definitely worth a visit, though -- just go earlier rather than later!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast