Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best Fried Chicken?

Originally posted by Brad White View Post
    When I was a kid in L.A. there were couple of places that you could order real pan fried chicken cooked fresh... it would take about 45 minutes and everyone would tell the waiter to start the order as soon as they came in. Nothing like it. Every once in a while I just have to cook some myself. I like to put sesame seeds in the flower and egg batter. Season to tast... Oh so good!!!
    Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles, perchance?
    "Luke, help me take this mask off. Just for once, let me look at you with my own eyes. No, it turns the other way, Luke. To the left. No, to your left. Push down and twist. Line up the little arrows. Never mind, I'll do it."

Comment

Originally posted by Brad White View Post
      When I was a kid in L.A. there were couple of places that you could order real pan fried chicken cooked fresh...
      When in Los Angeles, THE place to go is Aunt Kizzy's Back Porch, near the marina. Every major sports team goes there when they're in town (and there are always Hollywood "celebrities" in there too, if anyone cares).
      Check it out: http://auntkizzys.com/ . Also, you can Google it and see all the rave reviews.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

This is all making me very hungry!!!
        Brad White
        sigpic
        http://www.pan-flute.com

Comment

I usually get KFC if I am in the mood for fried chicken. I would get Foodland fried chicken some times too.

Been a long time since I had Popeye's chicken.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
            My wife's recipe is wayyyy better than Mitsuken.
            Coolness! Would it be possible to get a garlic chicken recipe? I have been trying to figure out how to beat that garlic chicken from Mitsuken for a while now! Thank you!!!

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
              There are two places to get some of the most amazing fried chicken I've ever had. Tanioka's in Waipahu (it's a fish market / okazuya) and KJ's in Kaneohe. At KJ's, as I've mentioned earlier, you get for $5.50 (or so) six enormous thighs with your mac salad (or green beans or corn) and rice. It's ridiculous, and it's really good.
              uuuuuuuuuggggggghhhhhhh yeeeeeeeeeaaaaaah....

KJ's is the best, no doubt.

it's actually a full six bucks now, but it's still six thighs, two scoops rice, and a scoop macaroni (which isn't really macaroni, but spaghetti noodles dressed tastily as macaroni) salad (or corn or what have you).

i had to work the friday after thxgvg but the beau (the eric half of ericncyn) took his runt to that side, so they lunched at KJ's. bcs the runt, being ten and moody appetite, did not eat more than one piece (how that can be possible under god's earth, the chicken is soooooooooooo drool-worthy), when i came home, there were two pieces for me in the fridge.

let me tell you--da buggah was sooo tasty even tho was nuked!

and how many fried chicken recipes actually taste pretty darned good microwaved??!!!

awwww, see now! alaigoKJs!!!
              superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

The fried chicken at Dillingham Cafe is pretty good. Nice and Crispy! Also, when I go to Maui I like to stop at Minit Stop and get some of their chicken and fries.

Comment

try Pacific Supermarket in Waipahu located between Farrington and Leowahine St.

tasty!

Comment

one place that does NOT have the best chicken is that new fili place in waipahu...Max's of Manila. supposedly, it built its reputation on a recipe for fried chicken that American GIs raved about, with the secret being the marinade. it was sooooo nothing to write home about, truly. and if you go to the website (i believe it's maxsofmanila or maxofmanila or something similar), you'll see it's rather pricey. as we say in ilocano--sayang (waste)!! i make better fried chicken just using salt, pepper, and garlic powder, the chicken at max's was soooo...banal.
                    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Found Church's in the Pearl Ridge food Court yesterday.....OK, nothing to write home about. Not quite as good as I remember it when it was on Beretania next to Schuman Carriage.

Comment

Last Thursday, MAMA and I went to have lunch at Bob's Big Boy and we were very disappointed in the Fried Chicken! Unlike the times we've ordered during dinner...the chicken was pre-cooked. It wasn't warm to touch. The skin not crispy. For $2.00 less no soup, salad or roll. No nuttin just drink.

Yeah. I complained. The waitress apologized cause she knew they were WRONG! I told her to feel the chicken!

Do not go eat the Fried Chicken from Bob's Big Boy!

I opted for the Chop Steak ~ but even dat was too sweet.

Wat? I'm a cook...I'm hard to please.

Auntie Lynn
                        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                          When in Los Angeles, THE place to go is Aunt Kizzy's Back Porch, near the marina. Every major sports team goes there when they're in town (and there are always Hollywood "celebrities" in there too, if anyone cares).
                          Check it out: http://auntkizzys.com/ . Also, you can Google it and see all the rave reviews.
                          Aunt Kizzy's is way over-rated. I've had better fried chicken at several of the Hometown Buffet Restaurants in the area.
                          Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

Originally posted by tvguy View Post
                            Found Church's in the Pearl Ridge food Court yesterday.....OK, nothing to write home about.
                            Ah, good to know it's open. I'm at least curious. Now that Church's Chicken and Popeye's are the same company, I'm wondering if the flavors of the two recipes have essentially become indistinguishable.

I miss Chicken Alice's, but as I've mentioned here before, we've gotten the Chicken Alice's recipe down pat and enjoy it regularly at home.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonah K View Post
                              Aunt Kizzy's is way over-rated.
                              How many times did you eat at Aunt Kizzy's? I've been there a few dozen times, and found long waiting lines every time. They must be doing something right. And I provided a link to a whole bunch of rave reviews.
                              But hey, you know the saying... your opinion may vary!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                                I'm at least curious. Now that Church's Chicken and Popeye's are the same company, I'm wondering if the flavors of the two recipes have essentially become indistinguishable.
                                Popeye's has the edge here. I want one of THESE to come back:

http://theimaginaryworld.com/adtour13.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X