I'm all a Twitter!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm all a Twitter!

The latest wacky web widget I'm playing with is Twitter.

You know how, when blogging got big, that people started joking, "Oh, great, now people are going to post every little thing they do online!"

Well, that's what Twitter is for. Posting updates by SMS, IM, or (if you insist) via the web... short, spontaneous, one-sentence updates from wherever you might be. Imagine a friend messaging you now and then asking, "What are you doing?" Well, you can answer to your friend, several friends, or the world.

Yeah, this means a lot of posts like, "Watching Heroes," "Standing in line at the supermarket, milk is expensive," and "Thinking that girl two rows up is cute." But it can be fun, or reassuring, or downright surreal, to see these stray thoughts collected in one place. You can see a "stream" of all your friends' Twitter posts, and discover if there are any odd coincidences. Definitely a lot of posts on the site mentioned "Heroes" last night!

Anyone here a Twitter-er? My profile is here, though obviously I'm not up to much. I wrote a longer review of the site here.

Re: I'm all a Twitter!

Nope. I'm not gonna get hooked on dis! I got enough to handle already!

Auntie Lynn da Unda Cova Blogga!
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I dunno if I'd want to twitter about every single thing I was doing because one never knows when such information might become fodder for a subpoena!
      Of course, the target market for this service (probably young kids and young adults) doesn't even THINK about ramifications like that!

Miulang

TWIT 1: Wassup?
      TWIT 2: Oh, not much just going down to the bank and getting a wad of cash.
      TWIT 1: But you don't have a bank account!
      TWIT 2: Who needs a bank account?
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Oh, definitely, the volumes upon volumes of stuff that people put online may very well come back to haunt them. Employment wise, romance wise, who knows when that late-night drunken blog post will bubble back up and appear on your desk one morning. Not that I'd know anything about that.

That said, I do like the idea of Twitter. No long essays or rants or navel-gazing analyses. You've got 150 or so characters to fire off an update.

I've seen my share of "standing in line" posts at Twitter so far, but it seems lots of folks only ping it when they've got something a little more interesting than that to share. Unless, of course, documenting the monotony of their daily lives is the point, which for some folks it is. You can hit the main page and see dozens of pint-size updates at once. It's like taking a global snapshot of geeks!

Too cool. I hit the main page just in time to catch one ZZType waking up.

Comment

Das funny! My two Web Masters are Twitters! hahahaha

K-den. I go try.hehehe

Hmmmm...Can do X-rated kine?

Auntie PuPule

I dunno why but I can not register.
          Last edited by 1stwahine; November 21, 2006, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
            Hmmmm...Can do X-rated kine?
            Don't see why not. I've definitely come across a few risque posts. Still, if you're really having fun, who's got the time to send an SMS about it?

By the way, you can set your Twitter updates to be visible only to people you add as friends, and not to the whole world. But what's the fun in that?
            I dunno why but I can not register.
            Why not? What is it telling you? I registered via SMS on my phone, but as far as I can tell, you can also set up an account on the web with just an e-mail address.

And if you don't have SMS on your phone, you can still Twitter via IM (Google Talk works fine for me) or via the site.

Comment

I put in all the information and I can't pass the first page.

I press continue and it just stays there. I press F5 and I have to start all ova again.

I tried five times already.

Twitter doesn't want me like The Advertiser Forum!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

I just don't know about this one.
                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

heheheh

I'm in. Can I keep it open and post anytime?

I like it.

It's simple and easy to use.

Mahalo PZ.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

If my hanai mom is twittered... I better check this buggah out!

Sounds like a good OCD thing! Did I just say that??? Has HT made me OCD?

Twitter here I come!

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                      I'm in. Can I keep it open and post anytime? I like it. It's simple and easy to use.
                      You can, of course, keep the website open with the entry box waiting and click over any time. Or, if you use IM a lot (Google Talk), you can just message Twitter as your buddy with whatever you want to record. And again there's the SMS, which is what sets them apart. I'm certain updates via e-mail are coming.

And "simple" is exactly it. Having worked with dozens of blogging platforms and social networks, each adding more and more features, from multimedia to aggregation to other whiz-bang widgets, it's nice to play with something that just takes snippets of text and tosses it out there.

In fact, it's an interesting exercise keeping updates to 150 characters or so. For a verbose guy like me, it's unusual to be so concise.

I just signed up last night, and am already keeping up with 20 people. If these were full-on blogs, that'd be a lot of reading to keep up with. But in one-sentence bites, it's a snap to drink it all up. There's a place and time for deep conversations, but Twitter is like walking down a hallway filled with your friends, just saying 'hello' and 'what's up?' as you go.

We'll see how long this lasts, as these web toys come and go. For now, though, I'm having fun.

Comment

can you imagine your boss posing as some geek online friend and you twit back that you're heading to the beach for a few shore breaks instead of going home sick.

So what are you doing now...preparing your termination paperwork I'll see your ass tomorrow.
                        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Well, you can make that mistake in a dozen ways, let alone Twitter!

The site has had some lag lately... growing pains? Of course, the idea isn't to sit there watching refreshes and posting every minute -- though it's certainly tempting!

A group of my friends have started using it as a group IM platform, literally having a conversation via the Twitter stream. (Inevitable, I guess, given the IM integration.) The problem with this is, visitors to the individual users' Twitter updates have absolutely no context to what's being said, and can easily be overwhelmed with hundreds of entries an hour.

I still think its strength is its intended purpose. Periodic, one-line updates.

I got my wife to try it out. But she says it'll only really be fun for her if Scrivener joins.

Comment

Good enough for me.

http://twitter.com/scrivener
                            Last edited by scrivener; November 23, 2006, 10:52 AM. Reason: "don't cry; now that i've found you..."
                            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I joined this thing and will make only one entry a day... kind of the anti-twitter.

http://twitter.com/macpro
                              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                              X