Express Yourself: Signatures and Avatars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Express Yourself: Signatures and Avatars

It's not always easy to express your personality on the web. Certainly the way you write can say a lot, but sometimes you want your thoughts to be more than just the words on screen. Fortunately, the software behind HawaiiThreads.com allows you to add a personal touch to your posts and your profile on the site.

A Signature is a small chunk of text that can be automatically appended to the end of every message you post. Like those used often in e-mail, it can be merely your favorite signoff as when you end a letter, a little bit of information about you (like your title and company), your favorite saying, or even a link to your website.

To create your Signature, simply log in to the Control Panel and choose Edit Signature from the menu.

You'll notice that when you post a message, you are given the option to include or not include your signature. Generally, if your post is a short one, you probably don't want to include your signature, or else it can overwhelm what you're trying to say. Indeed, for both Signatures and Avatars, we suggest you think of them as bumperstickers on your car rather than a billboard — they're accents or accessories, but shouldn't be the most memorable or noticable part of your message.

An Avatar is a small graphic that is displayed alongside your handle (username) on every post, providing an easy way for people to recognize the author of the message as well as a fun way for you to make a small statement about yourself.

The HawaiiThreads.com site offers a basic gallery of 72x72 pixel avatars to choose from. However, you can easily make and use your own. We're particularly fond of members who use pictures of themselves, but there's nothing wrong with a flower or a puppy. You can even search the web for "avatars" and find all sorts of icons you could use.

Whether your avatar is taken from the web or made on your own, however, please be aware of copyright concerns — try not to use pictures you don't own or that aren't clearly free to use. Especially provocative or obnoxious avatars are frowned upon, of course, and animated images are rarely worthwhile. Viewing a long thread filled with distracting graphics might feel more like a drive down the Las Vegas strip than a stroll through a friendly neighborhood!

To set or change your Avatar, just go to the Control Panel and select Edit Avatar.

Finally, you can include a Profile Picture in your Member Profile here at HawaiiThreads.com. So, in addition to sharing where you're from or your website address, you can include a slightly larger (100x100 pixel) image. Moreso than your Signature or Avatar, your Member Profile can be seen as your standalone "calling card" of sorts. Here it definitely makes sense to include a picture of yourself, or perhaps your website or company logo.

As with the other personalization features, you can set your Profile Picture in the Control Panel.

Re: Express Yourself: Signatures and Avatars

I FINALLY did! Last weekend up put up my dear little Manele wearing Doggles!

Comment

Originally posted by leashlaws View Post
      I haven't learned how to do that yet.

Comment

Me either, Barry. I resized my image and followed the instructions, but it seems not to like my PSD extension. I sized my image to 70 by 70, to be on the safe side. I don't give up easily, so I'll keep on it, but in the mean time, they have a great avatar collection. I chose my favorite flower. good luck to you! :-)

SB

Comment

Originally posted by snowbird View Post
          Me either, Barry. I resized my image and followed the instructions, but it seems not to like my PSD extension.[...]
          Can you save the .psd image as a .jpg? The latter works for me.

Comment

TuTuSue, I tried that. I think maybe I monkeyed around with it too much, and I will start over. It's one my daughter painted as a gift for me, and I like to use it often on social venues. I'm a stubborn old girl; I'll fix it. But then maybe, I didn't follow the instructions? Thanks!

Comment

A "Bird of Paradise" goes with your nature.
              Creating many options is cool though.
              Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Thank you, MMan... I can look out my window at them all day long, and dream of aloha days.

If I ever figure out all this upload-download biz, maybe I can pop my other pix into a posting for a lookie. Now I am going to try put my "real face" photo into my public profile... I love to know who it is I am talking with, and I'm sure many other folks do too. This could take me awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by leashlaws View Post
                  sooo cute!
                  "chaos reigns within.
                  reflect, repent and reboot.
                  order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Originally posted by kani-lehua View Post
                    sooo cute!
                    Thanks! I had one of both but it wouldn't look so good and 'nele just had
                    it goin' on with her expression! I have to say I had help in putting it up
                    and now I need the same help to put up pictures in the photo sharing
                    thread and the pet thread - I'm not very computer literate!

It's great to see you posting again, I'm sure the move was time consuming
                    and stressful! Happy New Year!

Comment

Working...
                    X