Hawai'i and severe earthquakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawai'i and severe earthquakes

I heard this same rumour tonight, from a phone call by a friend whose somebody-related had heard from somebody that tonight, between this and that pm, the isles are gonna see a big nasty earthyquake.

[mainlines excedrin into the juggular]

frugmgramblererafrickingidiotserurgraugrrrrr...

pax

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
      all we'd need now is a good temblor within the next day, and the conspiracy theorists the world 'round would have something to chew on for generations to come!
      Hey. Stop using made-up words!
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
        Hey. Stop using made-up words!
        Yeah, that one sounded entirely supposititious.

Comment

I myself am skeptible of its source.

pax

Comment

Bizarre. My brother called an hour ago to pass on super secret inside information from a friend of a friend who knows someone who's going out with a girl whose mother's half-brother works in FEMA, and they're sure of a big bad earthquake coming in the near future.
            Wow, I got a call also from someone with the same warning. Only, the warning I got included tsunami also.

We have been on the Big Island for a few years now. I never thought about earthquakes while on Oahu, but since we have many many MANY small quakes on the Big Island it is part of life. We've even built our shelves and placed our furniture in position "just in case" of a big quake. Last month's quake put us to the test, and thankfully we did pretty good!

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
            EXTRACT FROM DOUG COPP'S ARTICLE ON THE "TRIANGLE OF LIFE"
            According to Snopes.Com, Mr. Copps advice has been disputed by the Red Cross and scientifically questioned. His observations and suggestions might not be applicable to U.S. buildings ….
            http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/triangle.asp

Comment

Funny.

Anyway. The Advertiser has now posted their second bulletin asserting that there's no impending threat. From the tone it sounds as if the weekend crew in the newsroom is getting annoyed with the panicked phone calls... and I guess KITV and KGMB are similarly getting deluged with reports.

It's also interesting how the rumors evolve. Like Pua'i Mana'o, the call I got was about a big earthquake to come, no mention of a tsunami. As if, of course, secret government scientists have had a way to reliably predict earthquakes all this time, and only tonight did someone decide to squeal.

But the Advertiser item talks about an unreported earthquake and a tsunami it may have caused that no one knows about. As if you'd have time to run to the store or get some gas before said killer wave arrived. I guess not everyone knows about the real-time earthquake reports... or they figure The Man is somehow suppressing a major geologic event.

I'm sure the case of the disappearing earthquake report hasn't helped any.

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
                I heard this same rumour tonight, from a phone call by a friend whose somebody-related had heard from somebody that tonight, between this and that pm, the isles are gonna see a big nasty earthyquake.
                Bizarre. My brother called an hour ago to pass on super secret inside information from a friend of a friend who knows someone who's going out with a girl whose mother's half-brother works in FEMA, and they're sure of a big bad earthquake coming in the near future.
                I got this call as well, around 6:45 p.m. or so... just laughed at the person calling me, then hung up on them. Predicting an earthquake for later tonight?

Comment

We just got another warning call from family on Oahu.

Comment

My sister just called to say that Mayor Harry Kim is *snapping* on the radio about this rumour.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
                      My sister just called to say that Mayor Harry Kim is *snapping* on the radio about this rumour.
                      Go figure. It was 2 1/2 hours on Thanksgiving Day after the 5.0 before I heard anything on the radio about the quake by a rep of Hawaii County. But if there is NO quake, it is discussed right away.

Comment

Gee. I didn't get a call! I guess because my husband is at work at the paper. he said the phones are ringing off the hook! I sent him a link to this exchange and he emailed back that it's just a rumor. OK with me. But I'm still taking a shower NOW!
                        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by SouthKona View Post
                          According to Snopes.Com, Mr. Copps advice has been disputed by the Red Cross and scientifically questioned. His observations and suggestions might not be applicable to U.S. buildings ….
                          http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/triangle.asp
                          A more direct link to the rebuttal of his theory. Link (Found on the Snopes pages)

Comment

If a natural disaster was imminent, you'd think that people would have enough common sense to wonder why the sirens aren't going off so they can get to safety.

Just saw the footage of residents lining up at the gas stations and grocery stores.

Whoever started this rumor needs to be shot.
                            Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                            We're not here to mess around
                            Boston, you know we love you madly
                            Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                            Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                            You know we couldn't live without you
                            Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

You mean:

If a natural disaster WERE imminent...

Sorry. I'm a natural grammar cop!
                              Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Does anyone feel like slowly but surely things are crumbling away... In a long term geological sense?

Boulders crashing through houses... Landslides blocking the Pali... Earthquakes creating landslides on the big island...

Seems kind of funny that they are replacing sand in Waikiki when a lot of the island(s) seem to be slowly eroding away.
                                Last edited by damontucker; November 26, 2006, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X