Re: Hawai'i and severe earthquakes

Originally posted by blueyecicle View Post
    [...]I drive there all summer and it takes me 1 hour. So probably 80 miles

Really?

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post

Really?
      No I am totally kidding, it take me 60 minutes to drive 60 miles. I was joking. I rarely do over 68. Speed limit here? 65.
      Since when is psycho a bad thing??
      Sharing withother survivors...
      www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Well, it looks like every agency in town will be investigating this hoax. God, I hope they catch that twerp. Now that we have confirmation as to the gullibility level of the average Hawai‘i resident, we need to go after these punks!

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
        USA TODAY, page 2A
        11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
          Well, it looks like every agency in town will be investigating this hoax. God, I hope they catch that twerp. Now that we have confirmation as to the gullibility level of the average Hawai‘i resident, we need to go after these punks!
          Why should they go after these punks? People fell for a rumor that if you only use your own common sense you would know it's BS. It's just like an April Fool's joke, the people who fell for it are the same ones who fall for April Fool's jokes about parades.
          Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
          Flickr

Comment

We need to teach people not to be so gullible, and to know whom to believe. Why should it be illegal to propagate a hoax? Should we aggressively go after whoever started the "Good Times" hoax, too? Far more people believed THAT one, even though at the time anyone who knew anything about email knew that you can't get a virus from a text email.
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I'll support prosecuting those behind this hoax as soon as Congress prosecutes those behind the Iraq War hoax... Heh.

Comment

I wonder if the hoax itself cost taxpayers money? I mean, other than Civil Defense needing to get out word that it was wrong through the media, did it cost us anything? Wouldn't it cost us to hunt down the perps and prosecute? I think it was idiotic to start such a rumor, and I was thinking how amazingly idiotic people on TV who were interviewed were telling the media that they believed that someone with authority has announced an earthquake would happen.

Whatever happened to Question Authority? Is that just for old fuhts?
                Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
                  I wonder if the hoax itself cost taxpayers money? I mean, other than Civil Defense needing to get out word that it was wrong through the media, did it cost us anything? Wouldn't it cost us to hunt down the perps and prosecute? I think it was idiotic to start such a rumor, and I was thinking how amazingly idiotic people on TV who were interviewed were telling the media that they believed that someone with authority has announced an earthquake would happen.

Whatever happened to Question Authority? Is that just for old fuhts?
                  Personally, I'm less concerned about a monetary impact and more concerned about copy cats. If someone gets away with this then others may try to follow suit, just to get their jollies, but with a different version. The Chicken Little effect has been around for eons. It appears many people questioned authority, witnessed by all the phone calls pouring in to the CD and other organizations. However, the world is full of gullible people!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                    Personally, I'm less concerned about a monetary impact and more concerned about copy cats. If someone gets away with this then others may try to follow suit, just to get their jollies, but with a different version. The Chicken Little effect has been around for eons. It appears many people questioned authority, witnessed by all the phone calls pouring in to the CD and other organizations. However, the world is full of gullible people!
                    I would try to look on the positive side of this event. At the very least, it was an educational experience for gullible people, scientists cannot predict exactly when an earthquake and tsunami will occur. And it might have gotten people in general to also think of what they can prepare/do for the next real deal.

Comment

Maybe the rumor stemmed from this?

Scientists made their first discovery of a volcanic eruption in progress 1.5 miles below the surface of the Pacific Ocean.
                      The event was predicted at a site where earthquake activity had increased. The eruption was confirmed when eight of 12 seismometers deployed to the seafloor were apparently buried. Other similar projects had experienced a 98 percent success rate in recovering the devices, so scientists assumed the missing ones were covered by magma.
                      The seismometers are part of an ongoing, detailed study of the creation of new sea floor at the East Pacific Rise, where the sea floor spreads apart [graphic]. The research is sponsored by the
                      National Science Foundation.

The work has "exciting implications that we may be able to anticipate future sea floor eruptions," said co-author James Cowen of the University of Hawaii.
                      http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/...ctedinprogress

Comment

Uh, the "prediction" mentioned in that article was that those earthquakes were caused by a volcanic eruption. Actually, it would have been better to use the word "hypothesis," but whatever.

There was no prediction of the actual earthquake events. Important difference.

Comment

Originally posted by poinographer View Post
                          Uh, the "prediction" mentioned in that article was that those earthquakes were caused by a volcanic eruption. Actually, it would have been better to use the word "hypothesis," but whatever.

And this is why I stated that it MAY HAVE STEMMED from this.

Comment

Somehow I doubt that the type of suckers that believed/spread this rumor are the same people who pay close attention to the latest in volcanology and seismic monitoring news.

Comment

My favorite part of the story?
                              "We want the public to believe us so these cases where false rumors get spread are like crying wolf and we don't want the public to become complacent," said (UH Seismologist Dr. Cecily) Wolfe.
                              Quite the aptronym.

Comment

Originally posted by poinographer View Post

Well I predict that an earthquake will happen somewhere, sometime here on Earth. My prediction is 100% accurate based on that assumption
                                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                                X