This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The 2008 Presidential Elections

France sucks. For clarification, go to google.com, type "french military victories" in the search box and hit the "I'm feeling lucky" lucky button.

Comment

If the money raising playing field was level, then John Edwards would have a fighting chance at the Presidency. He is the most decent and honest of the current candidates. But unless there is a HUGE paradigm shift in this country between now and the nominating conventions, I don't think Edwards has much of a chance to be nominated as the Democrats' top candidate.

I still say the dream team for the Democrats in 2008 would be Edwards for President and Obama for VP. Barack is a rising star, but Edwards already has the experience. Much as I like Obama, I don't think he's ready for prime time yet. A few more years of experience under his belt and I think he'd be one of the most charismatic presidents in this country's history. Would Obama's ego get in the way of him considering a VP position? I hope not. If he is the kind of person I think he is, I think he would gladly take on that role to help this country.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I'd be interested in seeing an Edwards/Vilsack ticket, frankly.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
          I'd be interested in seeing an Edwards/Vilsack ticket, frankly.
          Didn't Vilsack drop out recently?
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
            Didn't Vilsack drop out recently?
            Yes - unable to raise the necessary money to keep going after a presidential bid. A smart man who fell into a political career, rather than spending his life pursuing it. Strong in traditional Demo social values, but realistic about what they mean in today's world.

Comment

True about Nixon being Ike's VP for 8 years but by 1968, he had also been out of politics for 8 years. It was a close election barely defeating then Vice President Hubert Humphrey with Alabama Governor George Wallace taking votes away in the south and actually winning some states, something Ross Perot as a 3rd candidate was not able to achieve despite him winning millions of votes.

I've been reviewing 1968 lately from MLK to RFK to the DNC in Chicago to the election what a year!! I have gavel to gavel coverage of both conventions and it's neat seeing Governor Burns there and Daniel Inoyue giving speeches.

My personal dream ticket would be John Edwards-Evan Bayh from Indiana.

KalihiBoy

Comment

Wow...another reason to like Edwards. I was just on his website, and he's the only candidate thus far calling for the removal of Paul Wolfowitz as head of the World Bank because of his recently disclosed lack of integrity and common sense. Man, John Edwards has staffers who are really on their toes about current events. In case you don't know what the latest "current event" is that has Wolfowitz in hot water, here it is.

Miulang
                Last edited by Miulang; April 13, 2007, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Keanu View Post
                  France sucks. For clarification, go to google.com, type "french military victories" in the search box and hit the "I'm feeling lucky" lucky button.
                  "Did you mean: french military defeats"

Comment

I am thrilled to see so many of you Democrats talking highly of John Edwards. No...I mean truly THRILLED. Please spread the news amongst your liberal brethren. He is the ONLY candidate on the left that has any shot at all at victory. And indeed, the most qualified horse in the field.

The question of money raising will only be a problem for Edwards if liberals choose to vote their hearts instead of their minds. Now I realize that is askin a lot, but I will go to bed tonight with a smirk on my face, in the hope that Edwards gains even more momentum as the days and months go by.

Vote John Edwards. And then get Bill Richardson on the ticket with him.
                    FutureNewsNetwork.com
                    Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                      "Did you mean: french military defeats"
                      viva la france!

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                        I am thrilled to see so many of you Democrats talking highly of John Edwards. No...I mean truly THRILLED. Please spread the news amongst your liberal brethren. He is the ONLY candidate on the left that has any shot at all at victory. And indeed, the most qualified horse in the field.

The question of money raising will only be a problem for Edwards if liberals choose to vote their hearts instead of their minds. Now I realize that is askin a lot, but I will go to bed tonight with a smirk on my face, in the hope that Edwards gains even more momentum as the days and months go by.

Vote John Edwards. And then get Bill Richardson on the ticket with him.
                        Exactly what is your point, Tim? "You Democrats" implies that you favor someone else (likely Republican). I am not a registered Democrat (neither are many of the people here at HT), and we do base our preferences on factors other than party line. On the liberal spectrum, I doubt anyone would consider Edwards more left-leaning liberal than Clinton or Obama.

Miulang

Comment

Well Miulang, first of all, though I understand the possiblility of negative inflection implied in the phrase 'you democrats', please believe me when I say that I meant no offense. In fact, I would venture a guess that there are few lockstep party faithful at HT, on either side of the political coin. Most of us are RepubliCRATS, if you will..... Meaning that we all like the idea of gay marriage AND prayer in school.

But when you speak of the notion of 'lockstep party faithful', you can start to grasp the reasons why (imho) the most qualified candidate on the Democrat side is overshadowed by the Senator from New York and the Punahou Alum. I can tout the merits of both of the leading candidates. But they pale in comparison to the loaded resume, and intellectual acumen, that Mr. Edwards is bringing to the fray.

When you talk of location on the political spectrum, I would guess that Edwards is a little right of Obama, and about 6 miles to the right of Clinton. Edwards may be the closest candidate to the actual center, staring straight across the line, damn near nose to nose, with Rudy Giuliani. No doubt those two are cut from similar political cloth.

At this point in the campaign, I am trying to read all I can about Edwards, Rudy, Newt, and Bill Richardson. Richardson might be the best guy in the bunch, but is certainly starting in a deep PR hole.

Most of all, I do not fear changing sails and tacking the ship. But I am most interested in qualifications, intellect, and potential for good leadership, not political titles or demagoguery.
                          FutureNewsNetwork.com
                          Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Tonight on MSNBC will be your first (and probably only) time to hear what all eight of the Democratic candidates running for President have to say. Check your local listings for the time. Next Thursday night, all the Republican candidates will have their chance to address the nation.

Miulang

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                              I am thrilled to see so many of you Democrats talking highly of John Edwards ... He is the ONLY candidate on the left that has any shot at all at victory. And indeed, the most qualified horse in the field.
                              I still don’t see where you are coming from with this opinion. As far as I am aware, Edwards is just trial lawyer, and other than running a failed Presidential campaign, he hardly has more political experience then Clinton. IMHO, the man with the most credentials is Sen. Joe Biden. And unlike the the rest of the candidates on either side of the aisle, he is the only one with a plan for solving the Iraq quagmire.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                              USA TODAY, page 2A
                              11 March 1993

Comment

Something to think about. If Hillary gets elected, it's kinda like getting 2 for 1. Those who like Bill Clinton will have him return to the presidency, in a way. Not that Hillary would do things exactly like he would, but I'm sure there would be some Bill Clinton influence in things.

That being said, she seems more than able to do the job without hubby, but it's kind of a bonus having him there with his 2 terms of experience, and his diplomatic connections around the world. He WAS good with a diplomat.

Unfortunately, this nepotism idea worked HORRIBLY with our current bozo...but, that apple didn't fall far from the tree, just adding insult to injury.

I wish Gore was running this time. I think we REALLY need to think about the environment and finding a way OFF of Oil right now.
                                http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                                Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                                Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Working...
                                X