X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The 2008 Presidential Elections

Originally posted by glossyp View Post
    There's a bet I'd take. A friendly wager perhaps? Personally, I think he can't wait to get out of office and back to the ranch.

OT, but about presidential elections nonetheless. France's contest is increasingly interesting. What are your thoughts?
    How I wen miss dis one?
    http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
    http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

You know...I'm watching poor old Gordon Brown, being in charge and having to deal with all the crap handed to him as he takes over from Blair (and Blair was smart enough to leave before the July seventh anniversaries)...I have to wonder just who on earth would even want to take over and try to clear up the mess of the past few years.
      http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
      http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Unity '08

If you're sick and tired of the "same old-same old" of both major political parties, you might want to take a look at Unity '08. You have the opportunity to cross party lines to nominate a "dream team" for President and Vice President to run next year.

How about a Ron Paul/Mike Gravel combination? Or an Obama/Fred Thompson combo? Or a Paul/Kucinich matchup?

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Re: Unity '08

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
          If you're sick and tired of the "same old-same old" of both major political parties, you might want to take a look at Unity '08. You have the opportunity to cross party lines to nominate a "dream team" for President and Vice President to run next year.

How about a Ron Paul/Mike Gravel combination? Or an Obama/Fred Thompson combo? Or a Paul/Kucinich matchup?

Miulang
          Dream On...
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Barack Obama beat Hilary Clinton and John Edwards in the Iowa Democratic caucus today -- Obama got 37%, and Clinton and Edwards each got 30%.
            In the Republican caucus, Mike Huckabee had 34%, Mitt Romney 25%, Fred Thompson 14%, John McCain 13%, Ron Paul 10% and Rudy Giuliani 4%.

Hilary better be nervous.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
              She better be. The more nervous she gets during the primary elections, the more relaxed I become.

Comment

It's unfortunate that solid, moderate, experienced candidates like Richardson and Biden never had a chance. And regarding Hillary, will her loss in IA really have an impact? She was projected to lose for a while now, so no surprise. Meanwhile she's 7 points ahead in New Hampshire and 21 nationally. Her folks will use this IA loss to claim she's the comeback kid when she wins in NH.
                * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
                - Anna Quindlen

Comment

Originally posted by U'ilani View Post
                  It's unfortunate that solid, moderate, experienced candidates like Richardson and Biden never had a chance.
                  And now, Biden and Dodd have dropped out. Sift, sift, sift.

As a former Iowan, I enjoy all the buzz over the caucuses. I participated in them in 1980 & 1984.

Comment

I'm happy for Obama's "victory" in Iowa. He comes off as so much more likeable than Hillary. His message is also much more inspiring. Watch these videos of them following the IA caucus to see what I mean:

Obama's Speech

Hillary's Speech
                    * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
                    - Anna Quindlen

Comment

• Re: The 2008 Presidential Elections

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                      Barack Obama beat Hilary Clinton and John Edwards in the Iowa Democratic caucus today -- Obama got 37%, and Clinton and Edwards each got 30%.
                      In the Republican caucus, Mike Huckabee had 34%, Mitt Romney 25%, Fred Thompson 14%, John McCain 13%, Ron Paul 10% and Rudy Giuliani 4%.

As the song (and I should know who it is, but have forgotten) goes..."There's something happening here & what it is ain't exactly clear"....but about 250,000 lilly-white corn-husking, snow shoveling, God-fearing, cow-tipping Iowans voted for the black son of a Kenyan & Kansan one term senator from Illinois. Maybe, and I say just maybe, the proverbial pendulum has swung so far, has trampled the Constitution sufficiently while creating a fear-driven corporate police state, as to finally motivate the apathetic masses to get up off their collective X-box playing asses to actually think that they can make a difference. Maybe the fact that he is something so radically different from what has sullied the streets of the Capital for so long, a black man, who possesses an intellect and ideals couched in the quaint notion of fairness, consensus, and hope...the very characteristics that would make him un-electable at any other point in our history, are what may make him electable during these perverse and extreme times. I pray for him everyday because there is always that shadow in the wings waiting to extinguish the light.
                      Last edited by greentara; January 5, 2008, 09:05 AM.
                      "When you dance there are two of you, your spiritual self and your physical self. The spirit has to dance." ~ Aunty Mae Ulalia Loebenstein

Comment

Originally posted by greentara View Post
                        As the song (and I should know who it is, but have forgotten) goes..."There's something happening here & what it is ain't exactly clear"
                        Buffalo Springfield: "For What It's Worth"
                        cow-tipping Iowans
                        18-20% is the average these days, btw.

Comment

Originally posted by U'ilani View Post
                          It's unfortunate that solid, moderate, experienced candidates like Richardson and Biden never had a chance.
                          I agree, but I don't know how much "fortune" had to do with it. They were solid candidates, and whenever I saw them on television talk shows, one-on-one with a host or interviewer, they were very impressive. Why that doesn't translate to success in a caucus or in national surveys is a mystery to me.

And regarding Hillary, will her loss in IA really have an impact?
                          It will help Obama some, but it won't hurt her at all. I expect Obama's numbers to continue to go up and Clinton's to stay pretty much where they are. Iowa is meaningless except in the way it causes the Chris Dodds and the Joe Bidens to drop out. Remember that in 1992, Tom Harkin got 76% of the Democratic support, while Bill Clinton received only 3%. Yes, the last two caucus winners (Gore and Kerry) went on to receive their party's nomination, but in the two before that (not counting Clinton's unopposed year), they did not (Harkin and Gephardt).
                          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

...but about 250,000 lily-white corn-husking, snow shoveling, God-fearing, cow-tipping Iowans voted for the black son of a Kenyan & Kansan...
                            What makes you think a quarter million of the participants were white? I'm asking in all seriousness.

Also, cow-tipping almost certainly doesn't exist. Just for your info. I can't address the God-fearing, corn-husking, snow-shoveling parts of your diatribe.
                            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Hey, Hawaii! I'm surprised you guys aren't commenting on this thread. Is it politics fatigue, not liking any of the candidates, or disappointment over June Jones's resignation that's got you guys so quiet? I'm also surprised that Miulang is so quiet.

I'm interested in hearing your views on the candidates.
                              - Anna Quindlen

Comment

It wasn't much of a shock to see Hillary win the NH caucus. A few months back she was at 76% while Obama was at 11%. Hillary actually lost some votes (if the pollsters were accurate). Reports are saying that if it weren't for those old biddies, Hillary may have not had enough votes to beat Obama. I've also heard reports say that her emotional outbreak was a plan that worked! But, I dunno.

Nevada caucus is on the 19th. They don't really talk much about it, but I'm going to be there.
                                A proud sponsor of
                                http://www.haleamano.com

Comment

Working...
                                X