Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Island fever?

Hello,

My wife and I are moving to Maui (I know not ANOTHER one ) she has family there, we've been there before and really enjoyed the weather and the people. We are both very open minded and know we will not be able to have as many things as we have over here were ok with that we have to much 'stuff' anyways and are looking to simplify our lifestyle. We have lived all over Washington and found that we really enjoy the simpler lifestyle and the warm weather. I am headed down there on the 29th to setup household and start work at my job and get settled in before my wife and son (8 months) join me. I am a General Contractor, however I will be working as a finish carpenter down there. My wife is a RN (labor and delivery). We both have already interviewed for our work and have been accepted. We are taking basically a 1 year working vacation to see if we like the islands before shipping anything down. Or doing something crazy like buying a home in a place we don't want to be. My question isn't so much about money I think we'll make enough to be comfortable, but more along the lines of Island fever and how to prevent it? I've heard that if you can make it 9 months on the island its smooth sailing after that. What do you do to keep the 'fever' from setting in? I've known more than a few couples who went down to Hawaii (some with children) that ended up coming back with broken marriages. Just dont want that to happen to me.

Thank you for all your help.

Rob
    Robert J. Simmons

Mr. Construction
    'The difficult I do immediately, the impossible just takes a little longer'

Re: Island fever?

Life is full of stressors, no matter where you are.

I think those couples who broke up and blamed it on a move to Hawaii were probably not doing all that well in the first place. If it wasn't the move to Hawaii that dealt the final blow it would have been something else.

I don't know about that Island fever thing. We've been here almost seven years and neither of us has been hit with it.
    Last edited by WindwardOahuRN; November 26, 2006, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
      [...]I don't know about that Island fever thing. We've been here almost seven years and neither of us has been hit with it.
      Yep! I think one gets the fever or they don't. I'm not sure there's much 'in between'. I moved to Hawaii in 1978, and I have yet to experience even one day of it. My problem is actually the opposite. I experience continent fever when I leave...aka: homesickness!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Construction View Post
        Hello,

My wife and I are moving to Maui (I know not ANOTHER one ) she has family there, we've been there before and really enjoyed the weather and the people. We are both very open minded and know we will not be able to have as many things as we have over here were ok with that we have to much 'stuff' anyways and are looking to simplify our lifestyle. We have lived all over Washington and found that we really enjoy the simpler lifestyle and the warm weather. I am headed down there on the 29th to setup household and start work at my job and get settled in before my wife and son (8 months) join me. I am a General Contractor, however I will be working as a finish carpenter down there. My wife is a RN (labor and delivery). We both have already interviewed for our work and have been accepted. We are taking basically a 1 year working vacation to see if we like the islands before shipping anything down. Or doing something crazy like buying a home in a place we don't want to be. My question isn't so much about money I think we'll make enough to be comfortable, but more along the lines of Island fever and how to prevent it? I've heard that if you can make it 9 months on the island its smooth sailing after that. What do you do to keep the 'fever' from setting in? I've known more than a few couples who went down to Hawaii (some with children) that ended up coming back with broken marriages. Just dont want that to happen to me.

Thank you for all your help.

Rob
        Since your wife already has family on Maui, it should be a much easier transition for you than if you were FOB with no local connections. Use those local connections to help you navigate through the choppy waters of acceptance by the local residents.

Maui is definitely not all about beaches and sun for a resident (unless you are a rich retiree, of which there are many on Maui ). The reality is, for most people, that work consumes a good portion of their lives, which doesn't leave much time for play. And it's good that you're not bringing school aged kids with you...the public school system in Hawai'i leaves a little to be desired (numerous threads on this topic may be found here on Hawaii Threads).

I would also think about other types of jobs you might want to do if and when the housing boom cools off (it's showing signs of that already in Hawai'i as in most other parts of the US...Hawai'i tends to be one of the last states to suffer...seems that the housing cool off started in the East and is working its way Westward). Your wife might be a little shell-shocked when she starts working at MMH (if that's where she'll be working). The hospital administration tries its best (they just completed a brand new wing), but the range of services they offer is way less than most other tertiary care hospitals anywhere else, unless where you live in WA is in a rural area and she works for one of the smaller hospitals.

Some people move to Hawai'i, stay there for years and are miserable the whole time. Why don't they leave? It's because they CAN'T. They didn't have a fall back plan (or the one-way ticket back to CONUS or money to pay for that ticket back home) so they live their lives in quiet desperation.

So as long as you don't set your expectations too high (doesn't sound like you are), have a fallback plan and learn from your wife's family about where to go/what to do, I think you'll do OK.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

During the late 1980s I dated a man who lived in Santa Monica, Ca. He lived walking distance to the ocean but had no ocean view. The majority of his work took him inland to Hollywood or the San Fernando Valley.

The first time he visited me in Hawaii he said, more than once, "Everywhere I look, there's water. Doesn't that ever get to you?"!!! He had island (or, rock!) fever from day one! And, he asked me to marry him.

I'm still happily single!

Comment

I often wonder why those who are planning to move here think that doing so will “simplify” their lives. Is it just because the higher cost-of-living causes them to purchase less material items? Other than that, it seems life here can be just as complex and complicated as anywhere else on the mainland. It seems to me that often people think that they can experience what they experienced during a vacation here; no job, no worries, just “simple” when in fact living here is a completely different situation. I never had that “simplify” attitude when I moved here, but maybe that’s because I never vacationed here, I don’t know. I can understand the fact that you’re no able to purchase as much “stuff” as you may be able to on the mainland, but how does that make one’s life “simpler?”

What I tell people about the whole “rock fever” thing is that most people who live in big cities (like L.A., New York, or even Honolulu) rarely leave the city. I know people in L.A. who probably have rarely left an area that was probably smaller than the size of O’ahu. I mean I rarely go outside Honolulu’s city limits. So I think it may be just a psychological thing, knowing that you’re on an island in the middle of the pacific. But, as long as you have everything you need and with everyone you want to be with, knowing you’re on an island shouldn’t even be a problem.

-Arturo

Comment

I would guess Island Fever is just realizing that you are surrounded by ocean. You can't travel west and go for 2500 miles and see a bunch of things. You're limited to 200 miles in a loop or less. And then there's the convenience of stuff on the mainland and you can't always get that here.

Being here almost four months now, I haven't experienced it. Homesickness, yes, but not island fever that some were telling me I'd get. I grew up in the stick so I'm use to the inconveniences of not always having what I want when I want. I think there's also that expectation that a lot of people have when they move here like it is all going to work out smooth-sailing as primarily what they see is the fantasy the resorts help you make.

How's the snow going in Yakima anyway? All my Puget Sound friends are whining about how everyone's forgotten how to drive in it.
              ~ Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by arturo_h View Post
                [...]I can understand the fact that you’re no able to purchase as much “stuff” as you may be able to on the mainland, but how does that make one’s life “simpler?”

What I tell people about the whole “rock fever” thing is that most people who live in big cities (like L.A., New York, or even Honolulu) rarely leave the city. I know people in L.A. who probably have rarely left an area that was probably smaller than the size of O’ahu.[...]
                Yep...so many people create their own islands no matter where they live. But, for the wanderlust in others who love to pack up the car and drive and drive and drive, an island presents problems. And, as I mentioned above, the constant sight of the ocean can present problems to others.

I, too, don't understand the "simplify by moving to Hawaii" mindset. I think it's just a romantic notion. Fourteen years ago I decided to "simplify". I was already living here. I got rid of a plethora of 'stuff' when scaling down to 400 sq ft of living space. That move simplified my cleaning routine! It didn't simplify my job which takes up the majority of my life! So, at the beginning of this year I simplified work by scaling back on the types of projects I accept. That was really helpful. Then, out of the blue, the "simple life" ended. There was no way to see that coming but, well, one just needs to go with the flow, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by arturo_h View Post
                  I often wonder why those who are planning to move here think that doing so will “simplify” their lives. Is it just because the higher cost-of-living causes them to purchase less material items? Other than that, it seems life here can be just as complex and complicated as anywhere else on the mainland. It seems to me that often people think that they can experience what they experienced during a vacation here; no job, no worries, just “simple” when in fact living here is a completely different situation. I never had that “simplify” attitude when I moved here, but maybe that’s because I never vacationed here, I don’t know. I can understand the fact that you’re no able to purchase as much “stuff” as you may be able to on the mainland, but how does that make one’s life “simpler?”

-Arturo
                  I don't know about that simplification stuff, either. Not much here is inherently simpler except that there is no need for winter clothing.

I see many things that are far more difficult here than on the mainland. Obtaining a good education for your children, affordable housing, state-of-the-art medical care. Returning to the mainland for have-to's or want-to's is expensive.

But I do have limes on my little dwarf lime tree which makes obtaining limes simpler than in NY.

If "we're going to simplify our lives" translates into getting rid of excess stuff, well, you can do that anywhere. So where's the Hawaii connection?

Comment

The "simplification" idea is probably from people who still envision Honolulu as a sleepy small tropical village. Sorry folks, that was a hundred years ago. Try Papeete instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Plummy View Post
                      How's the snow going in Yakima anyway? All my Puget Sound friends are whining about how everyone's forgotten how to drive in it.
                      Yay!There's about an inch on the ground in N. Seattle and it's sticking! Thank god I have AWD on my car. Now I just have to avoid the idjits who insist on going the speed limit on the black ice in my neighborhood tomorrow

Miulang
                      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                        Yay!There's about an inch on the ground in N. Seattle and it's sticking! Thank god I have AWD on my car. Now I just have to avoid the idjits who insist on going the speed limit on the black ice in my neighborhood tomorrow
                        Whoo, we're scheduled to receive it tonight or tomorrow potentially. Should be fun to get our one or two days of snow a year...

I'm not sure I'm afflicted by the "simplifying" thing (somehow I suspect my student loan people will find me even in Hawai`i ), but I think I understand where people are coming from with it. I've never lived there, so I can't say whether this is really really true or not, but everything you hear out of Hawai`i is that people matter a little more than things compared to many areas of the continental US. The hope is probably centered around the idea of realigning one's life with that attitude, that you care less about obtaining lots of stuff and status symbols, and more with making friends and enjoying the beauty around you (ocean, beach, mountains, good people, etc). You rather go have a lu`au with friends than work an extra two hours a day to buy more Stuff. Like that.

Of course those things can be practiced anywhere. No matter one's setting, it is pretty easy to fall into the rat race. Ironically probably a little easier in Hawai`i where the cost of living can be very high.

Edit: I should also say, I get that "city rock fever" living on the mainland too. It's way too easy to just stay within one medium-sized city and never leave, especially when leaving means 4WD and snow chains for about 4-5 months out of the year. If you want lots of driving room and very different places to go, check the big island. =)
                        Last edited by Bard; November 26, 2006, 08:15 PM. Reason: Added

Comment

I think the fever you're talking about boils down to a few things:

1) You're stuck on a island. Ignoring rush hour, you can't get further then about 2 hours from home by car. You want to go further then that, dig deep into the wallet. Probably the best way to think of this is as a form of claustrophobia. You can't just jump into the car and drive all day. (Well, you can, but you'd be doing laps.)

2) No 4 seasons. Over here we get sun and rain. That's about it. You know it's winter when the Christmas decorations come out. While it's nice, some find it boring.

3) Too far from family. Some find they miss their family and friends they left behind more then they thought. Since they can't pile into the car and make the drive home for the Holidays, it seems further away then before.

4) Limited availability. You'll quickly find some things aren't available here. Since you're moving to Maui, I think you'll notice it more then if you moved to Oahu. Just like the mainland, it's like being in a somewhat smallish community - except you can't drive to a bigger one.

5) Fitting in. Hawaii is the kine local style. You don't have to learn how to speak pidgin, but you do need to learn how to understand it. You need to learn the local customs and such, like leaving the slippa at the front door when you go into someone's house. It's a different culture. Some places are more like CONSUS, some are more local. Some just don't feel like they fit in to the local style.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                            [...]5) Fitting in. Hawaii is the kine local style. You don't have to learn how to speak pidgin, but you do need to learn how to understand it. You need to learn the local customs and such, like leaving the slippa at the front door when you go into someone's house. It's a different culture.[...]
                            While I love the sun, the year 'round good weather and the beach, your #5 is what attracted me to Hawaii the most.

Comment

Let us not forget the wave factor here. The crowds here in the Big Island are seldom to be found. That is, if you find the right wave and time-it is only you and the ocean. But, there is always the weekend warriors that come out of the cave and take out their long sticks.

Comment

Working...
                              X