Lā Kū'oko'a - Anybody Remember It?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lā Kū'oko'a - Anybody Remember It?

November 28th is Lā Kū'oko'a or "Hawaiian Independence Day", anyone else remember the history behind it?
    http://starbulletin.com/2006/11/27/news/story06.html
    Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Re: Lā Kū'oko'a - Anybody Remember It?

No, not without having read the article.

It's worth some thought, though. Is it the correct distinction to make, that the basis for claiming the Kingdom of Hawaiʻi to be an independent nation should be its recognition by other nations? I am not suggesting it's wrong; I am not well versed in international law and I just don't know.

Comment

From the Hawaiian Independence blog, an entry yesterday that included a copy of the original proclamation from England and France. Very interesting stuff.
      The original celebration of Hawaii's independence took place during the Hawaiian Kingdom in 1843, after England and France recognized Hawaii as a member of the European family of nations, and as an independent country equal to England, France, and the United States. The day continued to be an annual celebration from about 1844 to 1895, and for some years afterward, unofficially.

La Ku`oko`a marks the day, November 28, 1843, that the Ali`i Timoteo Ha`alilio, sent as part of an envoy by King Kamehameha III, succeeded in obtaining the signatures of the authorities of Great Britain and France on a treaty recognizing Hawai`i as a sovereign nation. Ha`alilio, with the missionary William Richards along as his secretary, traveled through Mexico on foot and donkey to Washington D.C., where they met President John Tyler. Ha`alilio and Richards, armed with his agreement, then went on to Europe, to Belgium, Paris, and London, where the treaty was finally signed. They returned to the United States to cement U.S. agreement. On the journey home Ke Ali`i Timoteo Ha`alilio died, on December 3, 1844.

The Treaty of Independence was a substantial achievement under international law, recognized by the government of the Kingdom through the official celebration of La Ku`oko`a. After the overthrow in 1893, the so-called Republic of Hawai`i government announced that November 28, 1895—a Thursday—would no longer be celebrated as La Ku`oko`a. Instead, Thanksgiving would become the official national holiday. The po`e aloha `aina—the thousands of Kanaka Maoli opposed to the illegal haole government—were incensed. They ignored the government's orders, and continued to hold celebrations of La Ku`oko`a. At those gatherings, they told the story of Ha`alilio's journey and significant achievement. James Kaulia of the Hui Aloha `Aina said that "the Kanaka Maoli recalled with gladness the restoration and perpetuation of the independence of Hawai`i, but their happiness was mixed with feelings of distress because the right to independence had been snatched from their shoulders." He said, further, "Ke ku nei ke kanaka Hawaii me he kuewa la, aohe ona aina: The Hawaiian person stands as a homeless vagabond, one who has no land." The thieves of 1895-1896 not only deprived the Kanaka Maoli of a national holiday, they enacted laws that caused the loss of our language and the related loss of our own history. That process caused us to be deprived of even the memory of this national holiday.

Miulang
      Last edited by Miulang; November 27, 2006, 09:27 AM.
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Here are a couple of photos from the La Ku'oko'a celebration held on Sunday at Iolani Palace. Mahalos to Sabine from the Hawaiian Civic Club and Fran!

Miulang
        Attached Files
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

small correction: Sabine took the photos on behalf of The Living Nation group which sponsored the event. We are both members of Ka Lei Maile Ali`i Hawaiian Civic Club.
          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Working...
          X