Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Christmas trees - where to get um?

Originally posted by CranBeree View Post
    k mart, daiei , star market, swap meet are all selling trees..if you get midweek then there's like a bunch of ads for them...i think the lowest one i've seen was $19.99 for 3-6 ft...and then i think on base, or the navy exchange parking lot...
    Remember about four or five years ago when there was a shortage and any available trees seemed to cost the equivalent of a car payment?

And then the following year, when they were practically giving them away a few days before Christmas because there was such a glut?

Comment

We were at the swap meet on sunday and didn't see any trees. Certainly doesn't mean they weren't there. there was a lot we didn't see.

Comment

omg...i am OLD!! LOL..i remember that..people were getting trees for like $10.00 or something and i think some even gave it away free!! gosh has it been that long already??!!

Comment

Originally posted by brianca View Post
          We were at the swap meet on sunday and didn't see any trees. Certainly doesn't mean they weren't there. there was a lot we didn't see.
          its not in the swap meet...its umm like at the entrance thingie in front of kam drive inn...you can see it from the street...ah on the kaonohi st side...right across the side of macy's ...Hmm does that make sense??

Comment

We've been buying Noble Firs from Habilitat for years. Costs more, but money goes to a good place.

We used to put up one artificial tree downstairs as well as the real one upstairs, but not anymore.
            http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Well thanks for the ideas. Nothing compelling enough to deter me from the plan. Home Depot.

Since no one chimed in for the aspirin advice, I did some quick googling.

Seems like it doesn't help too much. This guy sounds kind of scientific, and since I did read it on the internets, it must be true...

Aspirin contains salicylic acid which is known to prevent the growth of
              microorganisms found in water. Salicylic acid is produced by some plants in
              response to attacks by pathogens and so it may have some protective
              function. This chemical also acidifies water and acid solutions move up the
              stem more readily. However in the typical cut flower and in your case
              Christmas tree, aspirin does not seem to have a huge effect. Work done on
              Fraser Fir indicates that using aspirin may in fact cause much more needle
              drop than plain water. A number of different chemicals and chemical mixes
              were tested. It turned out that there were two outcomes. One, as was the
              case with aspirin, resulted in increased needle loss. The other result was
              that no treatment was better than water. The take home message is
              that the only thing necessary to keep the needles on the tree is water. So while
              adding aspirin to water used in cut flowers may only slightly enhance
              longevity (in reality there doesn't seem to be much significant difference
              between using aspirin or water alone) at least in Fraser fir there seems to
              be very significant needle drop. Don't use aspirin on your cut Christmas
              tree!
              so no aspirin or sprite for me. seems as though there are a lot of sites that say plain water is the best.

Comment

i usually go to daiei or that lot by mercedes but we got our tree from home depot this year. prices were ok, i got a 6-7' for $35, but i really wanted a small tree this year, which they were out of.
                Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Working...
                X