Christmas trees - where to get um?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas trees - where to get um?

Every year for the past few years, I've gone to Home Depot for Christmas trees. They have a good selection and are resonably priced.

Where do you folks go to get your tree?

Any special tricks to keep them fresh? Someone told me yesterday to put aspirin in the water to keep the tree fresh? Any other tips?

Re: Christmas trees - where to get um?

My family prefers the "traditional" look of a tree flown in by container, but if anyone wants to buy local, there's Helemano Farms.

You pick it, they cut it down... prices start at $30.

Comment

I don't count in Oregon but I go down the road and chop it down! You guys have the same prices as my town!! Crazy!
      Since when is psycho a bad thing??
      Sharing withother survivors...
      www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

I just had my Holiday laugh for the evening!

Someone likes to hate on people so much from the mainland... yet they prefer the "Traditional" Christmas tree shipped in from the mainland!

Damnit... I've got to clean up the beer I just spit out of my mouth from laughing so hard!

I hear you Rudolph on picking up the trees down the road... we used to be able to do that in Washington....

I just about dropped dead when I found out people pay up to $100.00 + for some trees!!!!

I guess that's why my mom called Hawaii the capital of Plastic Trees!

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
          I just had my Holiday laugh for the evening!

Someone likes to hate on people so much from the mainland... yet they prefer the "Traditional" Christmas tree shipped in from the mainland!

Damnit... I've got to clean up the beer I just spit out of my mouth from laughing so hard!
          I just had my laugh for the evening!

When some jackass makes yet more stupid comments that only serve to derail a thread... it has me laughing so hard to see how terrible this donkey is at reading comprehension!

Is it that hard to see the difference between a Norfolk Pine and a Douglas Fir? The latter is what's been shipped via container to Hawaii for decades, and which is why I used the word "traditional" in my post.

But now you're taking shots at my family Manoa? That's so funny, because you've gotten your panties in a bunch on HT when people talked about yours...

It's like you're trolling... yet again. Bring it.

Comment

Traditions... If you want to be more specific about christmas trees... your talking to a guy who used to cut them down in the winter to be sold here in Hawaii for a job at one point in my life!

A Christmas tree is one of the most popular traditions associated with the celebration of Christmas. It is normally an evergreen coniferous tree that is brought into a home or used in the open, and is decorated with Christmas lights and colourful ornaments during the days around Christmas.
            Both natural and artificial trees are used as Christmas trees.
            The best species for use are species of fir (Abies), which have the major benefit of not shedding the needles when they dry out, as well as good foliage colour and scent; but species in other genera are also used....
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christm..._of_trees_used

Well if want to be technical...I have never cut down a Norfolk Pine though!

The Norfolk Pine is primarily used here in Hawaii.
            Norfolk Island pine is sometimes used, particularly in the Oceania region, and in Australia some species of the genera Casuarina and Allocasuarina are also occasionally used as Christmas trees.
            Here is a wikipedia list of trees used in North America:

* Balsam Fir Abies balsamea
            * Fraser Fir Abies fraseri
            * Grand Fir Abies grandis
            * Noble Fir Abies procera
            * Red Fir Abies magnifica
            * Douglas-fir Pseudotsuga menziesii
            * Scots Pine Pinus sylvestris
            * Stone Pine Pinus pinea (as small table-top trees)

I don't troll! I sleep on HT!

Comment

Once again, reading comprehension is truly not your forte.

Yet another thread you're trying to make all about YOU, YOU, YOU.

Comment

Under my Christmas tree this year.... I hope to find reading comprehension

Anyone else have anything else they would like to find under the tree this year?

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
                  Under my Christmas tree this year.... I hope to find reading comprehension.

Anyone else have anything else they would like to find under the tree this year?
                  Maybe you should go start another thread to discuss what kind of personal help you need.

This one is about where to buy Christmas trees, not what you put under them... or what you wish you could find under them.

Comment

Where to find em where to get um and what christmas trees are all about seems to be pretty relevant.

If I could open a thread on it... it wouldn't be that interesting.

I'm fascinated by the whole infatuation of people in Hawaii paying a good penny for a piece of the Northwest.... and that's where Hawaii seems to get them from.

Comment

My tree is in a box in my northwest closet with a big M on it for Martha. I've got a really nice and fragrant wreath hanging that I got from Costco. Given that trees tend to dry out by mid December, I decided to invest in a low-tech 6-foot artificial Douglas fir, and it's just fine for us. No bald spots, no needle drops, no hardened stump, no mosquito larvae in the water well. I'm so jealous as my kid sister got Mom's aluminum tree. Now that's an antique! We'll probably put up Martha Douglas this weekend. I'll let the kids decorate it. The real Martha would cringe at the end result, but heck! It's about the kids! It's about peace and joy! It's about knowing when to be quiet and just take in the wonder of it all.
                      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

we have an artificial tree...cant stand to see paying $$ for a tree, then just to have it laying down on the sidewalk or chopped up to pieces after the christmas season is over..

i did want a real tree the first year my daughter made one,but the hubby said it was more of a fire hazard..to which i still don't understand since artificial trees can catch on fire also..*sigh*

someone enlighten me...

Comment

I've seen several lots here in hawaii kai as well as one in the ala moana parking structure on the piikoi side. I haven't checked the trees or the prices though.

Comment

Originally posted by CranBeree View Post
                            we have an artificial tree...cant stand to see paying $$ for a tree, then just to have it laying down on the sidewalk or chopped up to pieces after the christmas season is over..

i did want a real tree the first year my daughter made one,but the hubby said it was more of a fire hazard..to which i still don't understand since artificial trees can catch on fire also..*sigh*

someone enlighten me...
                            I believe artificial trees are flame retardant, I think it's actually a law that they be. I like having an artificial tree because I also don't like the idea of something losing its life like that. No, I'm no vegan, but I prefer a potted plant that will give me flowers for years to a bouquet of flowers that will die in a matter of days.

Case in point, last year for my birthday I got a Bird of Paradise plant. This week it yielded its first bloom. I am so pleased! OK. Back to the tree talk.
                            Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

k mart, daiei , star market, swap meet are all selling trees..if you get midweek then there's like a bunch of ads for them...i think the lowest one i've seen was $19.99 for 3-6 ft...and then i think on base, or the navy exchange parking lot...

Comment

Working...
                              X