Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawai'i Bowl: UH vs. ASU

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...607142935.html

Damn I was hopin for UCLA. Man this weekend's game vs OSU is huger than the Hawai'i Bowl. It's all good though I'll still be there for our boys.

GO WARRIORS!

Re: Hawai'i Bowl: UH vs. ASU

Nobody else even replied yet, and you're already trying to derail this thread.

Back to the Hawaii Bowl... what a crappy matchup. ASU? That's the best Donovan could do after UCLA went with the Emerald Bowl?
    Last edited by admin; November 29, 2006, 04:43 AM. Reason: Split from original Hawaii Bowl thread.

Comment

Hawai'i Bowl: UH vs. ASU

So who’s going to the game?

I think it’ll be a huge game for the program but actually a little of a letdown as we’ve played the #4 team in the Big 10 and the #3 team in the Pac 10 – in consecutive weeks no less.

ASU is a great team but it will be tied for #4 in the Pac 10 after this weekend. And no blaming Hawaii Bowl officials as they are obligated to take the highest ranked remaining Pac 10 team since the remaining Pac 10 teams are all 6-6.

And lastly at least we'll have the mascot edge on them hands down.

vs

uh huh.

Comment

Re: Hawai'i Bowl: UH vs. ASU continued.

Got my tickets last week.

To Palolo Joe: YOU'RE WRONG. Jim Donovan had NO CHOICE! ASU at 7-5 had to picked over Arizona and Wazoo, both 6-6. A 6-6 team cannot be picked over a 7-5 team if there is no other bowl available. The reason the Emerald Bowl was allowed to "kaka-roach" the projected 6-6 UCLA is that the Hawaii Bowl was still available for 7-5 ASU.

It was a sneaky revision and re-interpretation of the bowl selection criteria sought by the Emerald Bowl officials as they preferred UCLA over ASU.

Comment

ASU is a better up-and-coming program than UCLA, anyway. In LA, USC is the only show in town, pretty much. ASU's in the middle of one of the biggest metro areas in the country, and since nobody there cares about the Arizona Cardinals (blech), we're going to see huge number of Arizonans (and their wallets) for the bowl game.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
            To Palolo Joe: YOU'RE WRONG. Jim Donovan had NO CHOICE! ASU at 7-5 had to picked over Arizona and Wazoo, both 6-6. A 6-6 team cannot be picked over a 7-5 team if there is no other bowl available. The reason the Emerald Bowl was allowed to "kaka-roach" the projected 6-6 UCLA is that the Hawaii Bowl was still available for 7-5 ASU.
            Oceanpacific: THANKS FOR POINTING THAT OUT.

My analysis is still correct, however. ASU is a CRAP TEAM and the Hawaii Bowl is a CRAP MATCHUP that could have, and should have, been better than what we've had forced upon us.

I'm not going to waste my money on a ticket... I'd rather spend it at a bar on food and drink while watching the game on ESPN.

Comment

Man, signing ASU has really diminished the coverage and fanfare for UH football. The only people that are still hypin the game up is KGMB, which just happens to be home of the June Jones Show

Go Bruins! (Basketball, that is)
              Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post
                Oceanpacific: THANKS FOR POINTING THAT OUT.

My analysis is still correct, however. ASU is a CRAP TEAM and the Hawaii Bowl is a CRAP MATCHUP that could have, and should have, been better than what we've had forced upon us.

I'm not going to waste my money on a ticket... I'd rather spend it at a bar on food and drink while watching the game on ESPN.
                My point is that YOU WERE WRONG to blame Jim Donovan ...................

It's your choice to go to a bar and watch the game there. In fact, since it will be televised "live" on ESPN, you can stay home to watch that "crap" game.

Comment

In fact, since it will be televised "live" on ESPN, you can stay home to watch that "crap" game.
                  Yup, talking about that CRAP game again. Donovan had no choice? He had a choice to NOT get into a stupid agreement like that one.

It's decisions like that which send bowl games into the toilet and keep fans from buying tickets. And then the organizers complain that they might lose the bowl to the mainland? Whatever.

Not going to even waste my time watching it. I'd rather celebrate Christmas at home with my family.

Comment

ASU is a better match-up than any CUSA team.

No one's going to miss you at either the game or in front of the tube. Good riddance, PJ. You're a "piece of work."

Comment

No one's going to miss you at either the game or in front of the tube. Good riddance, PJ. You're a "piece of work."
                      And there are many others like me. I'm interested to see how many people actually show up to this game, as well as watch it on TV.

Crappy Attendance + Crappy Ratings = No Bowl

You may not miss us, but the Hawaii Bowl folks and ESPN will.

Keep it up with the insults.
                      Last edited by Palolo Joe; December 22, 2006, 05:29 PM.

Comment

I don't imagine tickets are hard to come by, and I don't know anyone who's carving any time out to watch this game (though I don't exactly come from a family of hardcore sports fans). I might have it on in the background, but... even with a non-crap team, the Hawaii Bowl is just for show. It's hard to get excited about it.

And after the Oregon loss, it feels a bit like charity. Boosterism in the local media (like the KGMB rah-rahs mentioned) only amplifies this. "Okay, now we're gonna show 'em!" is the message. I only hope we don't lose.

If I was stranded in the Denver airport or otherwise buried in snow, there might be something compelling about seeing sunny Aloha Stadium live. Which is, of course, the real point.

Comment

Warriors thump Sun Devils in Hawaii Bowl
                          Colt Brennan broke the single-season record for touchdown passes with three in the third quarter, and Hawaii held on to beat Arizona State in the Sheraton Hawaii Bowl, 41-24. A gathering of 40,623 — largest in the five-year history of the Hawaii Bowl — watched as the Warriors completed one of their finest seasons today at Aloha Stadium. UH finished the year at 11-3, tying the school record for most victories in a season set in 1992.
                          Go 'Bows! Last I'd heard heading into Christmas Eve Mass was that Arizona State was leading. Hope 'twas a decent enough game to watch, even though I missed it.

Comment

Looks like ESPN is repeating the game tonite at 10 pm. Great because I forgot to program the DVR. It was a great game. It wasn't nearly as packed as the Purdue nor the OSU games but the fans there were just as loud.

I didn't stay for the presentations at the end but my friend said that they acknowledged Colt Brennan for breaking the record (and then some) for most TD passes in a season... quite an accomplishment.

Comment

The first half was nothing to write home about, but the second half... oh, YEAH!
                              ESPN announcers kept calling them the Rainbow Warriors. Oops. Also kept saying that a win would make it Hawaii's most winning season (11 victories) when in fact that tied for their most winning season. Oops again. Anway, great game. Loved it!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Working...
                              X