Hawai'i Bowl: UH vs. ASU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawai'i Bowl: UH vs. ASU

All in all, I'd say that it wasn't a "CRAP" game.

Unlike the UH-Purdue game, I didn't get stuck in the traffic. It only took about four minutes going down Kahuapaani St. (road between the stadium and Ice Palace) to gate 3. Got stalled in there as one guy must have had some issues with the attendant (five cars in the adjoining lane went through while we were waiting). Finally, the guy went through, but then stopped again as he was attempting to turn left across three lanes from the far right.

Looks like there's something to the idea that the swap meet contributes to the traffic snarls on regular season UH games. No swap meet = earlier opening time for parking ...........
    Last edited by oceanpacific; December 25, 2006, 01:34 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

Bah the replay was truncated by ESPN due to "time constraints". It pretty much showed only the scoring drives. Bummer because there were some great defensive plays by both teams... although the one I really wanted to see a replay of is Leonard Peter's untouched safety blitz sack.

Also I couldn't believe Davone was flagged for high fiving the kids in the north end zone... freakin scrooge ref.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
        All in all, I'd say that it wasn't a "CRAP" game.
        And I still believe it was a "CRAP" game. ASU is one of the doormats of the Pac-10, and they managed to hang around until the 4th quarter before UH finally put enough points on the scoreboard. Seems some people agreed with me, as the crowd wasn't as big yesterday as other games this season.

Sure, it was an exciting second half. But UH should have blown ASU out of the water. And don't try to tell me 17 points is a blowout. It's not.

UH fans have a lot to be happy about with the win. But in the grand scheme of bowl games this year, the Hawaii Bowl was a yawner.

Leonard Peters, however, is a MONSTER. If I could only find that clip of him beheading the ASU quarterback on YouTube...

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne View Post
          I couldn't believe Davone was flagged for high fiving the kids in the north end zone... freakin scrooge ref.
          Amen to that. And not just flagged, but thrown out of the game! The refs oughta be more lenient in a bowl game. And as you noted, it was kids!
          That ref oughta be demoted.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
            And not just flagged, but thrown out of the game!
            He got thrown out because he was flagged earlier for jawing at an ASU player.

Two unsportsmanlike penalties = ejection.

The ref should have never thrown the second flag.

Comment

That ejection was ridiculous. But Leonard Peters' sack was delicious. So, the game wasn't a filet mignon, but it wasn't a hunk of fruitcake, either. It's on the TV here at my dad's as we prepare for Christmas dinner. Beats that yule log!

Comment

Not sure how many taped the game and noticed, but Bess' 1st Unsportsmanlike penalty was a result of him retaliating after getting blindsided and flattened by an ASU defender AFTER the whistle was blown. Like many fights in sports, it's often the guy fighting back who gets cauht, not the intiator.

Comment

Looks like UH's reputation for over-celebrating (aka taunting) touchdowns is high on the officiating crews' "Things to Watch Out For" list. Did you notice that after every touchdown by either team, the refs tried to quickly usher the players to the sideline to minimize the celebrations? I'm sure that both coaching staffs were warned about this, so the ejection, while for a manini infraction, shouldn't have been a surprise to the coaches.

Comment

I've heard that for next year's game, the WAC opponent will be a Conference USA team again and not PAC-10.

Comment

Originally posted by tvguy View Post
                      I've heard that for next year's game, the WAC opponent will be a Conference USA team again and not PAC-10.
                      My understanding is that the CUSA & Pac10 rotate as opponents, so yes, it's CUSA in '07.

As for "celebrating"...Bess's toss from the game was stupid at best, Grinch-like at worst. It's funny how they let some O linemen hold on EVERY PLAY, yet flag and throw Bess out for high fiving some kids...geez.

I've been a UH football season ticket holder for close to 20 years, and I have seen celebrations extend from touchdowns and truly important plays, to ANY play today. "Woo Hoo! I got an assist to a tackle...it's dance time!!!" As for Hawaii being prime offenders, I've seen enough on both sides of the ball. IN addition, I have seen is visiting teams taunting the home crowd (no doubt after the home crowd has been expressing some of their own "spirit").

Comment

"Excessive celebration" penalties started out from "taunting," exemplified by players standing over opponents and/or pointing fingers in derision. Somehow, it got extended to include "high-stepping," some instances of "diving into the endzone," TD dancing, high-fiving fans, and other rather innocuous displays of joy and celebration.

The problem revolves around the uneven application of these rules. In the 2001 UH rout of BYU, Chad Owens was flagged with a penalty for his slight high-step over a five-yard distance while I have seen recent examples of Nazi-like goose stepping of 15 yards out from the endzone completely ignored by the zebras.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post

The problem revolves around the uneven application of these rules. In the 2001 UH rout of BYU, Chad Owens was flagged with a penalty for his slight high-step over a five-yard distance while I have seen recent examples of Nazi-like goose stepping of 15 yards out from the endzone completely ignored by the zebras.
                          Didn't Stutzmann get ejected at that same game? It was his last game too.

I can't recall if Stutz was penalized prior to that leap into the stands, but I'm pretty sure he was thrown out. Of course no one cared at that point because it was toward the end of the game..but I thought it just sucked.
                          Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                          We're not here to mess around
                          Boston, you know we love you madly
                          Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                          Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                          You know we couldn't live without you
                          Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
                            Didn't Stutzmann get ejected at that same game? It was his last game too.

I can't recall if Stutz was penalized prior to that leap into the stands, but I'm pretty sure he was thrown out. Of course no one cared at that point because it was toward the end of the game..but I thought it just sucked.
                            Yeah, he was ejected. It was his first unsportsmanlike penalty, but it was an automatic ejection because he punted a football high into the stands after the TD. Refs try to protect their balls.
                            Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Call me "old school", but I like low key players who don't celebrate like it's the first touchdown of their lives. I used to really like Dane Macarthur ("the Canadian") from the Bob Wagner teams. He just ran his routes and caught everything sight. His idea of celebrating was handing the ball to the ref and running off the field.

In fairness to this year's team, I think they handled their success well and the refs simply called the game too tightly with respect to celebration penalties. Bess was a victim of UH's past noteriety. Maybe that'll change for the better if they continue to conduct themselves the way that they do.

Comment

Originally posted by bueller555 View Post
                                Call me "old school", but I like low key players who don't celebrate like it's the first touchdown of their lives. I used to really like Dane Macarthur ("the Canadian") from the Bob Wagner teams. He just ran his routes and caught everything sight. His idea of celebrating was handing the ball to the ref and running off the field.

In fairness to this year's team, I think they handled their success well and the refs simply called the game too tightly with respect to celebration penalties. Bess was a victim of UH's past noteriety. Maybe that'll change for the better if they continue to conduct themselves the way that they do.
                                The Oklahoma team has (had?) a no-celebration rule. All players hand the ball to the ref after a TD sans dancing, chest bumping, etc. To me, not celebrating has become a form of celebrating.
                                Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Working...
                                X