Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There - their - they're

I forget who had it in their signature but theres a good link for you

A cool site i found awhile back, but it was in wired recently and revisited it. Of the hundreds of designs submitted a few are chosen for small print runs.
    Aquaponics in Paradise !

Re: There - their - they're

LOL...sweet shirt

That was Manoa that had it in his sig...it was part of a bet that I won. [pops collar]
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

LOL. I actually learned it though a lot of English classes, but that statement would have made it easier for me to learn it.
      How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
        LOL...sweet shirt

That was Manoa that had it in his sig...it was part of a bet that I won. [pops collar]
        So why does Manoa have so many grammatical errors in his msgs?
        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

yay the $10 sale!

My brother and I are threadless fans

Comment

If you still have a hard time remembering which one is spelled how, maybe this will help:

THERE is a place. THERE is just like HERE... but it's over THERE.

THEIR means somebody owns it. THEIR ends with R, the same as other "owned-by" words like HER and OUR.

THEY'RE is short for THEY ARE. You just knock off the A and glue the two words together with an apostrophe.

Comment

While we're at it let's go over "then" and "than". One of my pet peeves.

First this, then that.

I'd rather this than that.

Got it? If not then you're thicker than I thought.

You know who you are.
              “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
              http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Ohhhh deer

Comment

Originally posted by i-hungry View Post
                  Ohhhh deer
                  Shouldn't that be "owe dire" (the latter being pronounced as in "voir dire," not as in "dire straits"?)

Comment

My pet peeve:

Its and it's!

Then again, I get really wild when an apostrophe is assumed to be a requirement for people who feel the need to attach an s to a word. What's really bad is when print shops don't flag these mistakes!

Pet's Discount : Which pet? Only one? Why not Pets Discount? or Pets' Discount?

back to lunch.
                    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

itz ok lavagal...

theyll be a time wear I lurn how to right de-sent

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent View Post
                        I forget who had it in their signature but theres a good link for you
                        Correction: I forget who had it in their signature but there's a good link for you. (apostrophe 's)

Actually, it should be "here's a good link" as it's not really "there", but right "here".

The biggest mistake I make is rushing to hit SUBMIT REPLY without proofreading first. Otherwise I blame my own typos and grammatical errors on my mushy, old iMac keyboard. Not that I care. I'm not getting paid for this.

Once in a while I see businesses and city & county contractors put up temporary handwritten signs with stuff like "out of orders" (out of order) and "road close" (road closed).

We keep this sign up in our office: "Perfection is our goal. Excellence will be tolerated."
                        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Bad grammar makes the baby Jesus cry. Every time you split an infinitive, God kills a puppy.
                          Last edited by jdub; November 29, 2006, 12:03 PM. Reason: Don't want to kill any puppies.
                          Don't be mean,
                          try to help.

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
                            Then again, I get really wild when an apostrophe is assumed to be a requirement for people who feel the need to attach an s to a word. What's really bad is when print shops don't flag these mistakes!

Pet's Discount : Which pet? Only one? Why not Pets Discount? or Pets' Discount?
                            There's an entire Flickr group devoted to examples of the grocer's apostrophe, as it's called.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
                              There's an entire Flickr group devoted to examples of the grocer's apostrophe, as it's called.
                              Also discussed in Lynne Truss' book, "Eats, Shoots & Leaves" - highly recommended for all who are amused by grammar and the high potential for error.

Comment

Working...
                              X