Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: There - their - they're

Originally posted by jdub View Post
    Bad grammar makes the baby Jesus cry. Every time you split an infinitive, God kills a puppy.
    oh my freakin gawd yer crackin me UP!
    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
      If you still have a hard time remembering which one is spelled how, maybe this will help:

THERE is a place. THERE is just like HERE... but it's over THERE.

THEIR means somebody owns it. THEIR ends with R, the same as other "owned-by" words like HER and OUR.

THEY'RE is short for THEY ARE. You just knock off the A and glue the two words together with an apostrophe.
      Originally posted by sinjin View Post
      While we're at it let's go over "then" and "than". One of my pet peeves.

First this, then that.

I'd rather this than that.

Got it? If not then you're thicker than I thought.

You know who you are.
      Originally posted by lavagal View Post
      My pet peeve:

Its and it's!

Then again, I get really wild when an apostrophe is assumed to be a requirement for people who feel the need to attach an s to a word. What's really bad is when print shops don't flag these mistakes!

Pet's Discount : Which pet? Only one? Why not Pets Discount? or Pets' Discount?

back to lunch.
      Originally posted by jdub View Post
      Bad grammar makes the baby Jesus cry. Every time you split an infinitive, God kills a puppy.
      Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
      Also discussed in Lynne Truss' book, "Eats, Shoots & Leaves" - highly recommended for all who are amused by grammar and the high potential for error.

oh. mah. gawd.

i don't know any of you from other type i can read on my computer screen, but i can tell you this:

you guys understand me!!!

i get so annoyed when people say, in letters:

"should you have any questions, please feel free to contact myself."

AAAACK!!!!

why do people feel the need to use the reflexive?

if it sounds stupid to use the third person reflexive, then why, why oh why oh whyyyyy would you use the first person reflexive?

does it sound right to say, "if you have any questions, please contact Tom's self"?

of course not. it should be "should you have any questions, please free to contact ME." ME--direct object.

"the party was attended by John and myself" should be "John and I attended the party" (so, yeah--besides the reflexive problem, there's the passive voice, which i friggin hate. people use passive bcs they think it sounds more "official" or formal but it sounds like plain old crap to me.

i could go on but it's probably best i prevent busting my own vein and point people to eats, shoots and leaves.
      superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
        oh. mah. gawd.

i don't know any of you from other type i can read on my computer screen, but i can tell you this:

you guys understand me!!!
        Welcome to the club.

Comment

What's really bad is cop speak and the reporters who write like they are cops, when actually they're just sucking up to the cop shop by inserting all the cop jargon crap into the police beat reports in the newspapers. Editors shouldn't let that stuff fly. The alledged suspected reporters should be apprehended, interrogated and then incarcerated.
          Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
            LOL...sweet shirt

That was Manoa that had it in his sig...it was part of a bet that I won. [pops collar]
            You mean this whole thread could have been avoided by 6 points?

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
              You mean this whole thread could have been avoided by 6 points?
              That's another of lookin at it...I never saw it that way before.

GO NINERS!
              Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                Correction: I forget who had it in their signature but there's a good link for you. (apostrophe 's)

Actually, it should be "here's a good link" as it's not really "there", but right "here".
                I'm pretty lazy and I dont usually put apostrophe's. I was trying to be witty by using their and there's in a sentence...

I ordered 2 shirts. I really want the undercover pirate, but its out of print.
                Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Working...
                X