No announcement yet.

Driving cross-country...advice needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Driving cross-country...advice needed!

When I did my mini-road trips, I'd carry stuff for Super 8 and Motel 6. Then about noon I'd guess where I'd be by late evening, and call ahead and reserve a room. Yeah, you can find cheaper, but you may not like them! But, when you hit a town, you can usually find a tourist information center and use that to find a cheap place.

I'd never let the car get below 1/4 tank. Never knew when the next stop might be.

Comment

Oh, and if you go through New Mexico, there is no potty betweeen Demming and Hatch, so...um...be prepared, lol! The wild rabbits out there look at ya' funny, too...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...atincookie.gif

Comment

Oh, and if you go through New Mexico, there is no potty betweeen Demming and Hatch, so...um...be prepared, lol! The wild rabbits out there look at ya' funny, too...like, what ARE you

Comment

Oh, and if you go through New Mexico, there is no potty betweeen Demming and Hatch, so...um...be prepared, lol! The wild rabbits out there look at ya' funny, too...like, what ARE you doing out here?

Comment

Oh, and if you go through New Mexico, there is no potty betweeen Demming and Hatch, so...um...be prepared, lol! The wild rabbits out there look at ya' funny, too...like, what ARE you doing out here? lol

Comment

WTH just happened there? LOL!

Comment

I think you just ended the discussion!
                Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

I did it once, whe I moved from NY to LA, and I did some band touring as well.

1. Always take your valuable stuff in the motel with you when you sleep.

2. If you're doing the trip in winter time, take the southernmost route.

3. Get a AAA membership...they can do a trip tick for you, basically routing the whole thing out. Plus their roadside assistance is a good thing to have. ALSO, you may want to get a navigator...you can get one for like $300...helps .keeps you from getting lost , and you can find points of interest. We're bringing ours to Hawaii nest week, just to help us out.

DO see the Grand Canyon...Amazing.
                  If you see and Owens or Bob Evans restaurants. Eat breakfast there. Awesome.
                  In the south....W A F F L E H O U S E all the way.

Change your oil before the trip.

When you get to LA. Go to Hollywood, just to say you did. The Farmer's Market is fun, 3rd Street promenade in Santa Monica is nice. If you see me, say hello :-)

Like someone else said. BLOG your trip...such a great idea !

Get your kicks on Route 66

have Fun
                  http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                  Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                  Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Hey all, again mahalo for all your help!

First things first, we've pretty much decided on the dates of travel. I'll fly out to Newark 6/19, cruise in the city a bit, and then start the drive on 6/21. We haven't decided on the route yet, but we'll have plenty of time to see the country before we have to be back in the LA area on 6/30 because her car ships out on that Saturday. Hopefully I'll be able to book my flight sometime this weekend or next week. There goes my paycheck!

If I'm not mistaken she's already signed up for AAA, so that'll help us tremendously!

Things are definitely coming along!
                    Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                    We're not here to mess around
                    Boston, you know we love you madly
                    Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                    Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                    You know we couldn't live without you
                    Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

This isn't completely cross country, but it almost is ...

I drove my ol' truck from Salem, Oregon to Columbus, Ohio along the Lewis and Clark Trail in June. L&C are a big deal in Oregon, so it was really cool to see all the different historic tidbits along the way. We didn't take the scenic route or a long route because we had to be there within 4-5 days.

I got TripTik from AAA. Absolutely a wonderful thing if you've got AAA and you can order online. Has bits about construction and handy stuff in general. Even time frames if you need them (like how long it'll take to get from A to B). Lots of info in a little packet (that's easy to lose in between the seat cushion ). When you order, they also send you all the maps you'll need with it. But I think you'll have to walk into a AAA office to pick up those travel books we get for free. I can't remember if they came with the pack or not, but I do remember having two sets of maps because I picked them up with the books and then they sent me the extra set (which work out if you spill coffee and fries on them...)

I told my mechanic people/shop that'd worked on my truck while I lived in Oregon that I'd be traveling to Ohio and I asked if they thought they'd think my truck would make it. They checked a bunch of stuff and did a few things to it, I paid $100 and I was good to go. They also gave me a list of things I should check daily and stuff. A lot of it probably is common sense to a lot of people who are handy with cars or at least knowledable, but I just drive my truck and follow the change oil sticker, so it was helpful to me.

Most annoying state to us was southern Wyoming where there was nothing but dirt, snow, the Colorado mountains in the distance taunting me, and signs every half mile about Little America (we didn't stop because the signs annoyed us, but your comment, Miulang, makes me giggle) Longest stretch seemed to be Nebraska...or maybe it was Kansas...i dont know but it went on for miles. Iowa was zzzzz. Idaho (Boise) really smelled like rotten potatoes. Utah was gorgeous. Oregon/Washington is always gorgeous if you get the chance.

Hardest place for us to find a place to stay was Evanston, Wy because like that's the place to sleep apparently. Omaha was hard, too, but that's because they had College World Series games going on.

We stayed at Best Westerns, Travelodges and Comfort Suites iirc. Basically anything with two stars in the AAA book. They averaged about $70ish.

My friend, who drove up and down California a lot, used to go to Circuit City and buy a radar detecter for the trip and then return it. You have 14 days to return it at CC and I'm fairly positive you don't have to return it to the store of purchase (but I'd call first, of course). Whether it worked or not, I dunno, but I'm sure someone here will let ya know.

Bob Evans is worth a try. I mean, it's not like you're gonna see it here They're known for their sausage/sausage gravy, but their biscuits aren't so hawt sometimes. Some places we don't have here that we'd suggest and if you've never been: Sonic's (Cream slush!), White Castle (you might stop seeing them west of the Mississippi...I think St. Louis is as west as they go, but of course I could be wrong), Cracker Barrel (If you dont mind a little/a lot of grease...I like their breakfasts, you get a ton of food for like $5. But I always get the Eggs in a Basket, which is not a ton of food, but it's just enough. The hashbrown casserole is good if you like cheese and potatoes. The apples are like eating dessert and I'll eat a bucket of them if you put them in front of me. Their lunch and dinner are ok, too, and worth a try if you've never had like that kind of food before, like I had turnip greens and chicken n dumplings there and that was new to me and good too. Watch out, because some things will come with like 3 sides and it can all pile up to like a huge table of food. If anything, just stop and walk into one and take a look around for a giggle or two; they have a store in the front and often have old-fashion candy so you might find something neat.). I always stop at supermarkets because it's always fun to see what different things they have, not to mention a good time to pick up car snacks.

Lastly, because she'll be shipping her car, don't forget that she's gonna want to have it empty on the boat so don't bring extra stuff you can't take with you when you drop it off.

If we think of anything else, we'll let ya know.
                      -K

Comment

Brief update!

Got an exciting phone call from my Jersey Girl. She's now the proud owner of a 2007 Ford Focus. Kiwi Green and 4 Door. It's her first car purchase so she's super excited.

The ex renewed my membership to AAA (I was surprised he got me anything for Christmas!), and my friend's already a member, so we're set with that. She also got a bunch of neat road-trip related stuff for Christmas (including a sweet GPS system from mom and dad!), so we'll be building our trip and making reservations soon. We found out that the College World Series will be going on around the time we expected to hit Omaha, and most (if not all) hotels/motels require a two night stay. I have a friend who lives in Downtown Omaha, so hopefully she'll be around then and we can just crash on her couch. If not, then I'm sure we'll figure something out. Crossing my fingers that mom can get us a phat room hookup in Vegas for two nights as well!

It's funny because Cara will be vacationing in Hawaii this April during her Spring Break. She's going to bring as much stuff as possible with her and I'll be storing it for her at my house. Between April and late June she'll be shipping stuff over as well so that she'll only need to take the bare essentials for "Lei and Cara do America 2006."

This is so exciting!

Comment

moved from CA to MO..... drove by way of the southern route.... absolutley BEAUTIFUL... but if I could do it again I definitly wouldnt have kids under 7 in the car LOL

cooler is a must you can save a bunch on sandwich making for lunch alone and of course cold drinks.... I recomend the Coleman electric it plugs into your cig lighter an runs very quietly.... never need ice... LOVE IT

Maps an more maps never know if oine is wrong AAA is really good about uptodate maps.... OH an the have road guides.tour books good for coupons for hotels an restaurants.

stop in the local McDonalds... the have a free guidebook thing usually which also has hotel an restaurants coupons in them

good selection of CD's there are stretches of road/mountains that youll get crap for reception or only the tammywynett station

never plan to be anywhere at a specific time unless you HAVE to... try to stop when you see something cool.... even if it looks hokey a good example is dorothys house in kansas LOL... lol some of the neatest stuff are in the hokey hole in the wall places.

IF you go the southern Route take the Petrified Forest National Park drive it takes you off the highway for a bit but there are AMAZING petrified trees to see. Be sure to stop at the souvenir shop before you enter the park on the south side better deals than the one at the end. very cool stuff

the indian tribal gift shops along the highway are another way to find neat souvenirs... dont let the sticker shock scare you most places will haggle down to almost 75% off

lemme know if you have any other questions
                          Support Lung Cancer Research

Comment

Woohoo for bumping my own thread!

So...by this time two weeks from now I'll be on a flight to EWR. I arrive on 6/19 and will spend two days in NYC before setting out on Road Trip 2007!

The route we decided on is as follows: NYC to Pittsburgh, then Chicago, then Omaha, then Denver, then Las Vegas, finally to LA. Pittsburgh and Chicago were absolute musts because I'll be seeing friends I haven't seen for a while. I'm excited because I finally get a chance to have a Primanti's sammich in da 'Burgh and I get to go back to my favorite dueling piano bar in Chicago! We'll be on the I-80 for the first parts of the trip...not quite sure yet -- she's still putting the TripTiks together.

We'll be in Omaha during the College World Series and we'll probably catch a game if time permits. Take me to Omaha Prime at night and I'm satisfied.

As far as accomodations go, we'll be staying at a Holiday Inn Express in Pittsburgh and Denver and then with friends in Chicago, and Omaha. My friend's BF is literally a golden boy with Holiday Inn Hotels, so with his discounts she and I are paying less than $99 a night. I would have been fine with a Super 8! We're still trying to figure out Vegas, but I'm not really too worried about it.

We'll be hauling butt from Denver to Vegas and wouldn't you know it? We're going to be crossing through Utah on a SUNDAY! We're definitely making sure we have extra canisters of gas and extra extra food just in case we can't find anything that's open on Sunday.

Vegas also means I'm going to be reunited with an ex I haven't seen in about 4 years. He's a party promoter there now and he lives quite the high life, and I thought it was sweet how he cleared his calendar just for me. If I have to pull an all-nighter in Vegas and be passed out hungover the next morning in the backseat on the drive to LA....so be it! My friend's BF is meeting up with us in Vegas so at least she and I will get to cruise the rest of the way on the final leg of the journey.

I really pushed hard to do the Southern Route, but it was virtually impossible considering the time. We both decided that we'd do another road trip again next year (providing that she and I don't kill each other during Round 1), this time the Southern Route. By then, she'll be settled into her new job in Phoenix. I forgot to mention that she's no longer moving to Hawaii...but to Phoenix with her BF. Still, both of them are flying back with me from LAX-HNL just in time for BayFest.

If anyone has any suggestions as to what to see (World's Biggest [insert weird item here]) or where to eat anywhere in between those cities -- send em my way! I've been looking online and bought bargain travel books off Amazon so I've been doing my research...but it's always good when I can get advice from seasoned travelers like y'all!

Mahalo for all your advice so far. Seems like it was just yesterday she and I were at the bar talking about driving cross-country and I can't believe I'm actually doing this and that it's coming up in only two weeks already!

Comment

You'll likely be taking I-80 for the Chicago-to-Omaha leg, I'm guessing, and you can do that easily in part of a day. As you'll be passing through Iowa (which is generally the best thing you can do with Iowa), that is my old turf. May I recommend you consider lunch at the Hamburg Inn in Iowa City? Among the best burgers in the nation.

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
                                she and I are paying less than $99 a night. I would have been fine with a Super 8!
                                I paid maybe $50/night for Super 8. I would have been happy with a Motel 6 (cheaper) but they frequently don't have wireless Internet.

I'd really think twice about carrying gas containers. That's really not safe. Gasoline fumes are not just flammable, they are explosive. The sloshing of the gas is likely to cause the cans to vent. If they are strapped to the outside, that's fine. But inside - either the passenger or trunk - bad idea. Really bad idea. If you really get nervous in some areas, then don't let the gas tank get below 1/2 tank. Otherwise 1/4 tank should be fine. If you stick to the major highways you should be fine. The signs will warn you if there's a long stretch ahead with no stations.

If you've got a GPS, they can be nice. Sync your camera's clock to the GPS and download the track each night. Then you'll have a record of where you were when that can be used to match up with your photos.

I personally don't bother with a MP3 player. Part of the fun is sampling the music each area has. I remember one place laughing at the local "farm report" and reflecting how much it sounded like a surf report. I think there's a lot more variety of stations on the mainland. If nothing else, you're not likely to get tired with the format before you're out of range anyway. A radio with a scan feature is a must.

Since you're going through Denver, there should be some rocky mountain sites you should take in. Off hand, I'm not sure what. If you're going though the "Grand Junkyard" area (my friends name for her home town of Grand Junction), Colorado National Monument is well worth the drive. I got some nice photos there.
                                Last edited by GeckoGeek; June 10, 2007, 02:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X