Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Buying a new Cell Phone.

Originally posted by blueyecicle View Post
    But I think the customer service are so dumb. I know more than them 1.2 the time and they made it a big hassle to get my phone number so I had to change it, then when I changed it the gal told me "Why didn't you keep your old number?? It's pretty simple!"
    After i spent 3 hours on the phone trying to the month before and ended up paying for 2 phones for 2 months....Maybe they are better trained now who knows!
    Now you know why Cingular is at the bottom of the Customer Service rankings.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

All the cell phone companies are pretty much the same, IMO.
      If you want info and reviews on phones, go to www.phonescoop.com
      im waiting for next month when I can upgrade my phone to either a katana or a kx-5.
      Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

AAooooooo Drool I love that phone Motorola's 3G RAZR
        Since when is psycho a bad thing??
        Sharing withother survivors...
        www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

meant to come back to this thread...

my husband and I have different cell needs.

Him: needs a loud ring, wants its to be substantial in size and weight, clear and easy-to-hit buttons, an intuitive address book function (he thinks the need to hit #5 twice to type the letter K is asinine, as is the logic behind holding the red phone button down to turn ON the phone) and that's it. He wants a phone. He needs the kids to program the damned thing for him.

Me: I need my palm os treo. I need the all-in-one gadget that syncs with/backs up on my computer. Phone//calendar/tasks/email/web/camera/video/note taking/MS Office...love this thing. Very best phone I've ever had.

Because of how cell phones are currently manufactured, I have had better luck at getting my needs met than he. Is there any unlocked "retro" cell phone out there? Anyone can recommend a model for my husband?

pax

Comment

how about this

j/k
            he might like a samsung or a nokia. the nokia's are pretty durable, samsungs have the most intuitive menus, imo. both may have voice dialing. press a button and say the name and it might dial the right person
            Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
              meant to come back to this thread...

my husband and I have different cell needs.

Him: needs a loud ring, wants its to be substantial in size and weight, clear and easy-to-hit buttons, an intuitive address book function (he thinks the need to hit #5 twice to type the letter K is asinine, as is the logic behind holding the red phone button down to turn ON the phone) and that's it. He wants a phone. He needs the kids to program the damned thing for him.

Me: I need my palm os treo. I need the all-in-one gadget that syncs with/backs up on my computer. Phone//calendar/tasks/email/web/camera/video/note taking/MS Office...love this thing. Very best phone I've ever had.

Because of how cell phones are currently manufactured, I have had better luck at getting my needs met than he. Is there any unlocked "retro" cell phone out there? Anyone can recommend a model for my husband?
              Do you think he might like a retro Bluetooth handset? It doesn't really address the keypad interface issues, but you gotta admit it's pretty retro.

Edit: Whoops, Hellbent already suggested much the same thing. That's what I get for not clicking on everybody's links before replying.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent View Post
                A friend of mine has this handset and loves it. She's just about talked me into getting one!

Comment

I just got my Bluetooth retro handset yesterday. Haven't paired it with my phone yet, but I'm pretty amped.
                  But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                    I just got my Bluetooth retro handset yesterday. Haven't paired it with my phone yet, but I'm pretty amped.
                    I'm thinking of getting that as an early christmas gift to myself, but why will someone buy that when you're already holding a phone? (other than for the laugh factor).

Oh, that'll be a great halloween costume! Dress up as a pay phone, and have that headset hanging on the front. Genius!
                    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

I just cannot for the life of me envision myself talking on the phone in public with that.....just can't see it...just can't.

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456 View Post
                        I'm thinking of getting that as an early christmas gift to myself, but why will someone buy that when you're already holding a phone?
                        The phone is attached to your belt, or it's in your bag. When it rings, you pull out the receiver and talk on it. So you're not holding two phones; you're holding one. Then again, I think if you need this explained to you, you don't really want one!
                        Originally posted by blueyecicle View Post
                        I just cannot for the life of me envision myself talking on the phone in public with that.....just can't see it...just can't.
                        Obviously, it's not for everyone. When I see those freakish headsets attached to people's ears, I say the same thing. "Why would anyone want to walk around with that on their head?" That's what's cool about some of this new technology: finding something that speaks to you, and not necessarily to everyone.
                        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

[...]Obviously, it's not for everyone.[...]
                          Plus it's a funny sight gag! Imagine walking around downtown and passing someone talking on a landline style handset. My friend gets a kick out of the stares she gets when she uses it in the car. DISCLAIMER...that's my friend, not me! Hands free headsets only in the car!

Comment

My one problem (at least so far) with the design of this thing is that the receiver is shaped in such a way as not to allow for cradling the receiver between ear and shoulder. The edge is beveled so steeply that the handset simply won't rest there. This is one of the uses I was most looking forward to.
                            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Obviously, it's not for everyone. When I see those freakish headsets attached to people's ears, I say the same thing. "Why would anyone want to walk around with that on their head?" That's what's cool about some of this new technology: finding something that speaks to you, and not necessarily to everyone.
                              No I think it is totally cool for other people....just not me. I actually really like it.
                              I just cannot envision the freaky pink haired girl on a retro phone! LOL

Comment

I think it's cool, too. I actually bought a nice Bluetooth headset for my Treo, but it spends most of its life connected to its charger on my desk, rather in my ear or on my person. As interesting as wireless, handsfree yapping seems in concept, in practice, it hasn't been that compelling. I shouldn't talk in the car at all, and walking down the street? Until BT headsets are as prevalent here as they are in, say, Hong Kong, I'm just not confident enough to stride through a crowd basically talking to myself.

With a retro handset, you'd at least be doing something interesting while talking, rather than looking simply obnoxious. Though I guess "interesting" and "obnoxious" are quite relative.

So, Scriv, did you get the wireless Bluetooth one featured on ThinkGeek, or the wired one linked at Amazon? The former seems more conventionally styled like the shoulder-able phones of days gone by. If you can't keep the one you got propped at your neck, you could always get those stick-on shoulder rests that were designed for those old phones. It'd make your handset even more uncool-ly cool.

Comment

Working...
                                X