Star Market shutting down Kaneohe store

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Star Market shutting down Kaneohe store

Hmmm...I wonder if Times will move into the Kahala Mall location and Walgreen's will open in the Times location! Makes more sense than 2 major drugstores in one mall!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
      Star Market's Kahala Mall closure will leave that mall without an anchor grocery store. That was my neighborhood market for so many years.
      I have kind of different, but good kind of memory of the Star Market at Kahala Mall, dating back to around April of '78. I was in town (Honolulu) with my family, during a weekend trip from Ka'u..we were staying in, if I recall correctly, The Princess Kaualani in Waikiki. During that time, the candy Pop Rocks had just been introduced to the market....I had always heard about this candy, but I was never able to come close to buying it in Na'alehu. I just had to have some. I hired a taxi to take me out (and back) to/from the Kahala Star (that's where everybody was telling I could buy it), just so I could finally get my hands on some. I paid a R/T Waikiki-Kahala fare plus waiting time just to buy this candy. My parents would have really been upset if they learned of this little trip..it would have been a total waste of money in their eyes. But, I did get to buy this candy, finally tried it, and when all was said and done, I decided I didn't like it after all. At least I had a few packs to give as novelties to my freinds.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
        I live across the street from Star in Kalihi at Kam Shopping Center, it has been there for 35 plus years and I would not be surprised if it gets sold, but not to Walgreens as it would be foolish to compete with Longs in the same shopping center.
        Well, that's what's going to happen in Kaneohe. Right now Star and Long's are right across Star's parking lot from each other.

Comment

Walgreens is a very aggressive chain. If the demographics are right, they have no compunction about putting up 2 of their stores within blocks of each other. They have no fear of being on the same block (or across from) another drug store. I have a Walgreens one block away from me (and 3 other locally owned drug stores in the same area), and within this community, there's another one about 6 blocks away. We have a Longs in a strip mall and a Walgreen's across the street from the mall. According to their store locator, there are 9 Walgreens drug stores within 5 miles of my house.

If you're lucky, some of your Walgreens will be 24-hour stores.

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

As long as there are older Japanese mothers still around. Star will survive. There is a loyalty that won't allow these shoppers to move despite the prices.

My mom was a devout Star Market shopper until she moved to the Big Island where Star doesn't exist. In it's place there is KTA. She won't shop at Safeway, Sack N' Save or any other local grocier.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

According to this story in the PBN, the reason Star is closing their Kaneohe and Kahala branches is because of property leasing concerns. They are looking to build new stores in Kapolei, Pearl City and several branches on Maui, though, as well as upgrading their remaining stores. So the chain isn't retracting, just realigning.

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Good to know Star Markets is planning for the future the Kalihi store needs a major upgrade, so it's good to know it will happen in the near future.

The one in Lahaina is in Kapalua near the airport and is 24 hours.

I grew up with Walgreens so I don't mind them coming here, it will provide local jobs for us and pump money into the economy, can't complain there. In every town I lived in the mainland Longs went bust and their stores were awful, I was surprised to come to Hawaii and see how much they thrive over here. Longs will prosper despite the presence of Walgreens, they have nothing to worry about.

KalihiBoy

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                  I wonder if Times will move into the Kahala Mall location...
                  A few years ago there was talk of Safeway building a standalone store in the Kahala area. Can't remember if it was going to be in the mall or somewhere nearby.
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                  X