"The Holiday"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The Holiday"

We saw this The Holiday last night, and I'd grade it a C-; yet, I'm still conflicted on whether I'd recommend it.

This is a romantic comedy (although less comedy than romance) starring Kate Winslet, Cameron Diaz, Jude Law and Jack Black. It has all of the properties of a contrived romantic chick flick--beautiful people, beautiful wardrobe, beautiful houses, intelligent and charming women, gorgeous men (more Jude than Jack, obviously), mouths filled with porcelain crowns, lonely early-thirties characters, facile cinematic conventions, affected acting... But whereas, say, "Sleepless in Seattle" was contrived, The Holiday was a dumbed-down version of a romantic chick flick. There was just nothing even slightly interesting in the storylines or characters to keep me hooked, to make me care. Nevertheless, if you're starving for something romantic, this is really the only movie available, unless you don't mind renting one of Nancy Meyers's better chick flicks--What Women Want or Something's Gotta Give.
    Last edited by U'ilani; December 9, 2006, 04:24 PM.
    * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
    - Anna Quindlen

Re: "The Holiday"

I saw it on saturday.. and yeah I dont know if I loved it, liked it, or if id say it was from the okole.. but heres the thing.. Im a bit biased.. since Im a big Jude Law fan, and love Jack Black and Kate Winslet too... the only crappy casting choice was Cameron Diaz.. I just didnt like her at all.. I dont think she can act that well.. the faces she made annoyed me for some reason, she was a bit too hyper/hysteric in some scenes for me..

but I think it was a nice little holiday movie.. If you like lighthearted movies that doesnt make your brain tick.. go see it.. I think it was entertaining enough for me to actually love it.. just Id throw Cameron D outta the window... heh.. Id rate it B+

Comment

Re: "The Holiday"

Originally posted by *pinao* View Post
      ... the only crappy casting choice was Cameron Diaz.. I just didnt like her at all.. I dont think she can act that well.. the faces she made annoyed me for some reason, she was a bit too hyper/hysteric in some scenes for me..
      I thought the same thing, especially in her first scene, where she's arguing with her ex-boyfriend. I thought it was funny that her occupation in the movie was producing movie trailers. At one point, that was a dream job of mine. Well, still is, actually.

Comment

Working...
      X