Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Selling a Used Vehicle????

Originally posted by Nords View Post
    [...]Your mechanic may be willing to come up in price a little once he learns that you're seeking other customers. His discounted price may save you a lot of phone calls and test-drive hassles-- I'd go for a quick cheap sale over a long, drawn-out agonizing "fair" price.[...]
    When he gave me his offer (less than half of low blue book) I mentioned that I would try to sell it for more first and if unsuccessful I'd check to see if he was still interested. He agreed to that without any attempt at negotiation.
    Originally posted by naunca View Post
    Speaking of Carfax, our car had a squeaky clean title. We ran a Carfax query on it ourselves (cost about $20-30 or so) and gave copies to prospective buyers for free (also mentioned clean carfax report in the ad). It may help buyers who haven't used carfax before.[...]
    I, too, have my carfax report ($34.95) and plan to use it the same way you did. However, I've found discrepancies in mine. It shows that I bought the car in 2/06 AND 5/06. I actually bought it in 5/06. That site's car review shows no cupholders because of the front seat center console. Not true! One of my favorite features is the very cool cupholder!!! I'll mention the cupholder in the ad! It also shows a plethora of "title or registration issued"; 2 per year. Obviously 1 per year is the annual registration. Is the other the safety check?

I think I'll try online ads this week-end. If needed, I'll try the Star Advertiser's classifieds next week-end.

I sure appreciate everyone's suggestions and info. Much appreciated...

Comment

"less than half of low blue book" - Is that less than half the 'blue book' trade-in (dealer) value or less than half the low retail value? Trade-in values are much lower than retail values (of course) and dealers don't buy at retail prices.
      Last edited by salmoned; July 16, 2010, 01:15 PM.
      May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
        "less than half of low blue book" - Is that less than half the 'blue book' trade-in (dealer) value or less than half the low retail value? Trade-in values are much lower than retail values (of course) and dealers don't buy at retail prices.
        Less than half of low blue book, private party pricing, according to Kelly Blue Book. I have an independent mechanic who is not attached to a dealer. If I'm going to give a big price break it will be to my mechanic. He's a really great guy and has treated me well. Still, if there's a chance I can get a substantially higher price then I'll give it a try...but not for an extended amount of time!

Comment

I'm simply pointing out that his offer is likely very fair with respect to the business he is conducting - he is not a private party, but rather in-the-business regarding his offer for your car. Good luck.
          May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Ha! Got lots of ooohs and aaaahs in the parking lot of the Checkers Auto Parts store tonight. So did my car. Well, only my car! When I mentioned it was for sale one guy stepped forward for more info...and liked the info he heard while inspecting the car. He took my card and said he needed to sell his car first. He seemed a bit disappointed that I was listing it online this week-end but, oh well. He'll either find a way to buy it or he won't. It would sure make my life easier if he sells his car tonight and buys my car tomorrow morning! Yah! Right!

And a high 5 to the Checkers employee who, when I asked for something strong to remove a baked on window decal, grabbed a razor blade and removed it for me. Such aloha...

Comment

I'm one of those people that browse Craigslist ads almost daily just to look at cars. Usually I look at specific types of car models, which means I do a keyword search and in title only. I usually check off the photo option so that I can see a picture of the car for sale.

The main reason why I do a title keyword search is because many dealers and individuals selling lets say, a Toyota Camry people selling other types of cars like Accord or Lexus will put Camry and other makes not related to their vehicle in the ad so that in a general search you stumble on their ad even though that is not the vehicle you are looking for.

For me one of the hallmarks of a good car ad is to have a nice, fairly big photograph(s) of your vehicle, the year of the car, mileage (that is important to me) and a good description of the vehicle. CarFax is a plus. VIN too. License plate so you can check if there are any outstanding tickets against the car (not that I have check, I'm not in a hurry to buy anything as of yet)....

I like big pictures in used car ads.

And sadly yes, for the individual selling a car, the listing in Craigslist turns over pretty fast so if like an hour ago your car was at the top, by the next hour it will be close to the bottom of the list or off to the next page.

The nice thing about Craigslist for cars is that you can filter seearches by dealer or individuals, though a lot of dealers cheat and list their vehicles under individuals too. I am also leary of individual car ads that have the same phone number for a several different cars on the same day or week. Dealer!!!!

Also be leary of the background in car photos. Some photos clearly show that the car is on the mainland and you'd want to avoid that...
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
              X