Hilo or Kona no ka oi!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hilo or Kona no ka oi!

Maybe to take a little break from all the smoking politics...

One thing I've noticed is that everyone's got their favorite part of the big island. It's almost like the old "cats vs dogs". What's yours and why?

Re: Hilo or Kona no ka oi!

Kona side for me! The town of Kona reminds me of my home town but in a tropical setting. Then, up the road a bit is my all time favorite spot on earth...Kona Village Resort.

Comment

Hamakua, Waimea, Kohala, Kawaihae, Kona Hema, Na'alehu, Pahala and Puna lovers will be mightily put out by the choices given.

pax

Comment

South Kona. Kailua-Kona. North Kona.

Comment

Kohala, Waimea, Waipi'o, Saddle, Honomu, Keaukaha, Pana'ewa, Volcano, Kapoho, Punalu'u, Miloli'i and Makalawena myself....if I had to choooose, that is.

pax

Comment

Opihikao is where the roots of my son stem from!

Comment

South Kona for me. In fact, I swam at Honaunau Bay today.
              FutureNewsNetwork.com
              Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                South Kona for me. In fact, I swam at Honaunau Bay today.
                But can you pronounce it?

Comment

Notice how nobody mentions Hilo? It's because IMO, a lot of Hiloans are rude to "outsiders" and don't make them feel welcome. My wife has been here since 1999, and a lot of people treat her like an tourist. Maybe it's that "plantation mentality" that is pasted on generation to generation. BTW, I was born and raised in Hilo , but both my parents grew up in Kona with out a "plantation" background.

I lived 6 years in Ka'u and loved it.
                  Maybe to take a little break from all the smoking politics...
                  We can never get away from the "smoke"
                  Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                  Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
                    Hamakua, Waimea, Kohala, Kawaihae, Kona Hema, Na'alehu, Pahala and Puna lovers will be mightily put out by the choices given.
                    Yes indeed... I guess I was tired when I wrote it, I meant it to include any area you want to mention. The Hilo/Kona was a starting point to get people talking

Comment

I have yet to visit Hawai`i Island, because I know that it requires more time than we've been able to give it. But the AF's father hails from the Kona area, and she tells me that she prefers it by far over Hilo, for reasons of weather if nothing else. If the weather tales are generally true, however, I have a feeling my preference will be the opposite of hers. We have friends and family on both sides, so I hope to see from their perspectives someday.

Comment

I'm in KONA right now, in Island Lava Java Cafe, with the ocean about 200 feet away. It's pretty awesome. I like it here alot, but in the summer, the heat is a BEOTCH ! Right now, the weather is PERFECT !

That being said, up the hill it's alot cooler, and the view is awesome.

One day, I;m gonna buy one of those condos up in KONA Coffee Villas....180 degree ocean view, cool temps...ideal. All those little towns south of Kailua Kona....Like Donny and Marie...A little bit country and a little bit rock and roll.

I like Hilo, but haven't spent enough time there....I thing the abundance of rain would bum me out.

I really like Waimea too...beautiful country up there.

I guess, right now, after being here on the BI twice, I'd say KONA. It's the most like SoCal, which for alot of people is a bad thing, but for me, it's ideal.
                        http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                        Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                        Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear View Post
                          Notice how nobody mentions Hilo? It's because IMO, a lot of Hiloans are rude to "outsiders" and don't make them feel welcome. My wife has been here since 1999, and a lot of people treat her like an tourist. Maybe it's that "plantation mentality" that is pasted on generation to generation. BTW, I was born and raised in Hilo , but both my parents grew up in Kona with out a "plantation" background.

I lived 6 years in Ka'u and loved it.We can never get away from the "smoke"

Talk about rude, there's this Hello Kitty kinda store in the Prince Kuhio Mall in Hilo where I was talking to the owner/manager whatever. He was Japanese (still is) and we were talking about the expansion into Keaau when he blurted out that only poor people or people that cannot afford to live in Hilo live in the Puna district.

I told him I don't have to work and he does making me more financially independent than he. He agreed. I told him I own my home paid for in cash.

We're both Japanese. He laughed.

I told him I live in Keaau. His face suddenly looked like the heal of my leather shoe

I invited him to venture into Keaau since he said he never ever would go to the Wild Wild West. I told him to look at the next issue of the Tribune and look at the police blotter and take a tally of who has more crime, all of Puna or Hilo, then come visit me in my really nice home down by the ocean.

I was gonna buy that wooden train set from him but I told him I'm too poor to afford those luxuries.

Yeah he was rude alright.

But for this Punaian, I love Hamakua, the views are spectacular!
                          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Between Hilo and Kona, I'd pick Hilo. I disagree with the broad assessment that the people there are rude, unpleasant, whatever... but heck, I love anything that mitigrates growth and development and allows me to hold onto a dream of one day living there. And if the "rain" stereotype works for Seattle, I'll take that for Hilo, too. More Hilo left for me!

But anywhere on the Big Island? My family is from the North Kohala, Hawi, Kapa'au area, and I just love it there. Not as a place to live and work, but definitely a place to be.

Comment

Tikiyaki's post made me realize I forgot to mention how much I like Koloko on the Kona side. I have friends who built a wonderful home at the 4000' level. They have a fireplace and forced air heating. It's a short drive down the hill to the beach. They have the best of both worlds I think...except during a 6.x earthquake.

Comment

Working...
                              X