Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hilo or Kona no ka oi!

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
    Tikiyaki's post made me realize I forgot to mention how much I like Koloko on the Kona side. I have friends who built a wonderful home at the 4000' level. They have a fireplace and forced air heating. It's a short drive down the hill to the beach. They have the best of both worlds I think...except during a 6.x earthquake.
    and the 4pm rush hour traffic. It's bad there and I'm used to the gridlock in Honolulu too!
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear View Post
      Notice how nobody mentions Hilo? It's because IMO, a lot of Hiloans are rude to "outsiders" and don't make them feel welcome. My wife has been here since 1999, and a lot of people treat her like an tourist. Maybe it's that "plantation mentality" that is pasted on generation to generation. BTW, I was born and raised in Hilo , but both my parents grew up in Kona with out a "plantation" background.

I lived 6 years in Ka'u and loved it.We can never get away from the "smoke"
      auwe, Alohabear! I ~l~o~v~e~ Hilo! it is a beautiful small town! If it doesn't rain within three weeks, people fret the drought. There are enough stores to get whatever one needs, and the fact that there's a UH campus means all the good and diverse things that accompany a college town. There's room for the geeks, the freaks, the theatreheads, the jocks, the paddlers, the soccerstars, the football players, the gyms are stocked with vb and bb and school activities. It is a great place to raise a family, to buy fresh food and beautiful flowers and to move as fast or as slow as one wants.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
        He was Japanese (still is) and we were talking about the expansion into Keaau when he blurted out that only poor people or people that cannot afford to live in Hilo live in the Puna district.
        I used to prefer Kona; however, after spending some time in Hilo and Puna, I prefer Puna. Quite a few folks that live in Kapoho Vacationland, Kapoho Beach Lots, Leilani Estates, HPP, and HSRE can afford to live anywhere in Hawai'i, so the stereotype that only "poor" folks live in Puna isn't entirely accurate. I'd much rather have several houses and a few hundred acres in Puna, instead of one or two houses in Lanikai on O'ahu.
        Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
          auwe, Alohabear! I ~l~o~v~e~ Hilo! it is a beautiful small town! If it doesn't rain within three weeks, people fret the drought. There are enough stores to get whatever one needs, and the fact that there's a UH campus means all the good and diverse things that accompany a college town. There's room for the geeks, the freaks, the theatreheads, the jocks, the paddlers, the soccerstars, the football players, the gyms are stocked with vb and bb and school activities. It is a great place to raise a family, to buy fresh food and beautiful flowers and to move as fast or as slow as one wants.
          Pau'i- i love Hilo ...but you gotta admit this side of the island can be harsh to newcomers.
          Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
          Flickr

Comment

i love Hilo ...but you gotta admit this side of the island can be harsh to newcomers.
            Hilo's not that harsh to newcomers as long as they aren't in a hurry and aren't concerned with appearances.
            Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

this Hello Kitty kinda store in the Prince Kuhio Mall in Hilo
              There's a HELLO KITTY STORE??? *perk's up*
              Since when is psycho a bad thing??
              Sharing withother survivors...
              www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Originally posted by Jonah K View Post
                Hilo's not that harsh to newcomers as long as they aren't in a hurry and aren't concerned with appearances.

I love it when people from Honolulu visit Hilo and come into Home Depot here and tell me, "...well in Honolulu where I'm from we have everything..." and I respond, "yeah, I'm from Honolulu...born and raised for 44 of my 46 years" they quickly shut up especially since they're not even 40 years old yet.

I tell them, "this is the Big Island, so leave Honolulu back on Oahu, you're here now so sloooooowwwww down braddah!"
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Pau'i- i love Hilo ...but you gotta admit this side of the island can be harsh to newcomers.
                  I think that the local people in Kona are worse towards newcomers. In Hilo, folk are just niele, but in other areas were a lot of newcomer developments are encroaching on old neighborhoods, the fussy factor shoots up.

pax

Comment

... when people from Honolulu visit Hilo and come into Home Depot here and tell me, "...well in Honolulu where I'm from we have everything..." ... I tell them, "this is the Big Island, so leave Honolulu back on Oahu, you're here now so sloooooowwwww down braddah!"
                    "Mainland attitude" not exclusive to Mainlanders after all, eh? No surprise - I'm sure the "everything was better where I come from" behavior shows up across the globe; makes you wonder why people ever leave wherever they were "from."

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                      "Mainland attitude" not exclusive to Mainlanders after all, eh? No surprise - I'm sure the "everything was better where I come from" behavior shows up across the globe; makes you wonder why people ever leave wherever they were "from."
                      I was laughing at Craig's post for the same reason. Man that sounds familiar!! I hear the same thing everywhere I've lived. I guess it's just heard a little more often (and is a little more annoying) in Hawai`i because so many people try to move there.

Craig, loved your description of the toy store owner encounter too. That's priceless.

Comment

I personally like Saddle Road area of the Big Island. Driving in between the massive Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa volcanoes presents some spectacular views.
                        Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                        The Kona Blog

Comment

I'm originally from Honokaa and usually when I am back on the Big Island, I travel between there and Hilo and go out to Waimea-Kamuela. I like all points between Waimea and Hilo. Hilo is a great town that kind of qualifies as a city. I also like the Volcanoes National Park area for something totally different.
                          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
                            I am fond of many spots on Hawaii. I love the Kohala beaches but not the offshore afternoon winds. Kealakekua is near perfect but what a commute home these days. I like the South Point area but not the drives to either side. I like Hawi but its changes over the years seem for the worse. Waimea is nice if you like Orange County. Hamakua is pretty and unpretentious but a bit moldy. I agree with you that Hilo a good place to raise a family and I am looking hard at that. Of all I just might like the Kapoho area the best.
                            Last edited by sinjin; December 14, 2006, 07:12 AM.
                            “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                            http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

If you like it on the Big Island, then comparisons of areas are just a measurement of how much you like one great place over another great place.

Comment

Working...
                              X