Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 52

Thread: Be Careful When Riding "The Bus"

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Kaneohe
    Posts
    346

    Default Be Careful When Riding "The Bus"

    My 15 yr. old nephew was assaulted and robbed last week while riding "The Bus" home from school (near the University) to the Pearl Harbor area. This was the 2nd time someone attempted to steal his IPOD. This time the culprit succeeded after punching my nephew in the face. My nephew suffered 2 dangling front teeth and broken facial bones. The sad thing is that NOT ONE PERSON got "The Bus" driver's attention so that he could stop the bus and call the police. (My nephew was in such a daze and he recalls someone saying that THEY were calling the police on their cell phone but no police ever met up with The Bus). My poor nephew had to ride the bus to his stop and got off to call my brother-in-law to pick him up and take him to Tripler ER. He was in such a daze that he can't even recall which stop the culprit jumped off. One lesson to be learned: don't sit near the back exit. Another: don't display your IPOD on the bus.

    When my brother-in-law attempted to make a police report the following day, the dispatcher wouldn't send someone to take the report because my nephew wasn't with my brother-in-law and my nephew is too scared to make a report. Neither The Bus Customer Service nor HPD have reports of the robbery/assault being called in on the day that it occurred.

    The first time he got assaulted was earlier in the year. The bus driver WAS aware of what was going on but threw both my nephew and the assailant off the bus even though my nephew was trying to tell him that the guy he was fighting off was trying to steal his IPOD.

    I'm so angry at the lack of aloha displayed on The Bus for my nephew...that no one helped him either time and that these scumbags will likely continue to do what they are doing because NO ONE is stopping them!!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Waipahu
    Posts
    3,534

    Default Re: Be Careful When Riding "The Bus"

    He was probably using the stock white earbuds. If so, then thieves will always know you have some expensive audio player (I believe Sony's PSP also has white earbuds).

    I myself have a $20 pair of headphones I use with my MP3 player, and I don't hold it in my hand - I carry it in my pocket.

    I'm sorry that your nephew got assaulted, but that's a daily thing in New York and other places with mass transit.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Kaneohe
    Posts
    346

    Default Re: Be Careful When Riding "The Bus"

    Quote Originally Posted by doc1456 View Post
    He was probably using the stock white earbuds. If so, then thieves will always know you have some expensive audio player (I believe Sony's PSP also has white earbuds).

    I myself have a $20 pair of headphones I use with my MP3 player, and I don't hold it in my hand - I carry it in my pocket.

    I'm sorry that your nephew got assaulted, but that's a daily thing in New York and other places with mass transit.
    Yep...I know that it is a daily thing elsewhere. Worried about my elderly parents who will be coming out here next week. I know that they will be afraid to take THe Bus now even though they always try to sit up in the front.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Be Careful When Riding "The Bus"

    Quote Originally Posted by alohacandy View Post
    The first time he got assaulted was earlier in the year. The bus driver WAS aware of what was going on but threw both my nephew and the assailant off the bus even though my nephew was trying to tell him that the guy he was fighting off was trying to steal his IPOD.
    You need to contact the Mayor's office for follow up, and the Chief of Police, and the Director of Dept of Transportation Services. If what you say is the whole story, it indicates that there needs to be better training provided to drivers of TheBus, and policies put in place so that TheBus has improved communication with the police when assaults are happening. Don't let this go by - you need to help so that people, like your nephew, are not victimized again!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Kaneohe
    Posts
    346

    Default Re: Be Careful When Riding "The Bus"

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthKona View Post
    You need to contact the Mayor's office for follow up, and the Chief of Police, and the Director of Dept of Transportation Services. If what you say is the whole story, it indicates that there needs to be better training provided to drivers of TheBus, and policies put in place so that TheBus has improved communication with the police when assaults are happening. Don't let this go by - you need to help so that people, like your nephew, are not victimized again!
    I had thought about doing that and hoped that my nephew would cooperate but he's too scared. Without his cooperation, I can't even get enough info on which bus route, exact time, etc. I even thought about calling up a news station but if they can't talk to him directly, I doubt that they'll do anything.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Be Careful When Riding "The Bus"

    ..........
    Last edited by SouthKona; December 12th, 2006 at 10:05 PM. Reason: duplicate posting

  7. #7

    Default Re: Be Careful When Riding "The Bus"

    Quote Originally Posted by alohacandy View Post
    I had thought about doing that and hoped that my nephew would cooperate but he's too scared. Without his cooperation, I can't even get enough info on which bus route, exact time, etc.
    His parents (or guardian) need to get involved. They can speak on his behalf. If a parent has the details, the parent can do everything needed to place a complaint and demand change - it is up to the adults to take charge, it does not fall on a minor child. You've take the first step in helping by bringing it up here, now take the second step and get his parents involved. They need to do everything possible to protect the safety of their child.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Kaneohe
    Posts
    346

    Default Re: Be Careful When Riding "The Bus"

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthKona View Post
    His parents (or guardian) need to get involved. They can speak on his behalf. If a parent has the details, the parent can do everything needed to place a complaint and demand change - it is up to the adults to take charge, it does not fall on a minor child. You've take the first step in helping by bringing it up here, now take the second step and get his parents involved. They need to do everything possible to protect the safety of their child.
    I agree...and it irks me that they aren't doing more EVEN IF the son won't cooperate or can't provide details and EVEN IF a lowly person at HPD says that they can't make a report without the son's cooperation. My sis and brother-in-law are both highly educated and my brother-in-law has law enforcement and political contacts due to his employment but they are both "so busy". Brother-in-law is out of the country right now with his work so can't do anything. I would be calling everyone I could possibly call if it was MY KID...and not take "no" for an answer.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii USA
    Posts
    5,249

    Default Re: Be Careful When Riding "The Bus"

    Crimes such as this is another good reason to be opposed to mass transit. You are much safer against the assault of criminals if you ride in your own vehicle. Mass transit vehicles are potential targets for criminals and terrorists.

    Years ago when I was on TheBus, a fight broke out in the bus. Fortunately in our case the people hollered, the big burly bus driver stopped the vehicle and promptly kicked off the two fighters.
    I'm still here. Are you?

  10. #10

    Default Re: Be Careful When Riding "The Bus"

    Quote Originally Posted by mel View Post
    Crimes such as this is another good reason to be opposed to mass transit. You are much safer against the assault of criminals if you ride in your own vehicle. Mass transit vehicles are potential targets for criminals and terrorists.

    Years ago when I was on TheBus, a fight broke out in the bus. Fortunately in our case the people hollered, the big burly bus driver stopped the vehicle and promptly kicked off the two fighters.
    Now you're just trying to turn this event into an argument for something else.

    How about all the car thefts every year? Or attempted car jackings? If the driver on TheBus did the right thing, or even fellow passengers. If TheBus has installed CC tv that records and many metro buses have that these days, the police could use the footage and broadcast a lookout for this suspect on tv. I'm surprised that given TheBus's organization size, they don't even have transit police.

    Alohacandy, maybe when your nephew gets over the trauma, it would be easier to get him and the parents to report this to the police and especially to TheBus.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii USA
    Posts
    5,249

    Default Re: Be Careful When Riding "The Bus"

    Quote Originally Posted by joshuatree View Post
    Now you're just trying to turn this event into an argument for something else.
    It's still something to think about.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    living in sin in kaimuki w/mixedplatebroker
    Posts
    1,715

    Default Re: Be Careful When Riding "The Bus"

    Quote Originally Posted by mel View Post
    Crimes such as this is another good reason to be opposed to mass transit. You are much safer against the assault of criminals if you ride in your own vehicle. Mass transit vehicles are potential targets for criminals and terrorists.
    and H-1, oftimes a parking lot of idling cars, wouldn't be a target as well? *mumbles to self*

    i have been the almost-victim of molesters on the bus. the worst was when i was a teen, one guy (who i didn't realize was apparently eyeing me on the bus) followed me home, put his hand in my butt crack, then ran away.

    i agree w/mr. joshuatree. OTS should be doing more to ensure the safety of its passengers. then more people would be encouraged to ride, incl me.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Be Careful When Riding "The Bus"

    Quote Originally Posted by mel View Post
    Crimes such as this is another good reason to be opposed to mass transit.
    I'm sorry, Mel, but that is a ridiculous stretch to make. Under this logic, we should also oppose public gatherings, such as concerts (just watch 'em on TV) or the Honolulu City Lights displays (the pictures on the internet are good enough) or political rallies (well --- that's not a bad idea.) What about churches? "When two or more are gathered in my name...someone might get their pocket picked."

  14. #14

    Default Re: Be Careful When Riding "The Bus"

    Quote Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    "When two or more are gathered in my name...someone might get their pocket picked."
    But they do get pocket picked when they pass around those donation baskets and give you the guilt trip.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Kaneohe
    Posts
    346

    Default Re: Be Careful When Riding "The Bus"

    Quote Originally Posted by mel View Post
    Crimes such as this is another good reason to be opposed to mass transit. You are much safer against the assault of criminals if you ride in your own vehicle. Mass transit vehicles are potential targets for criminals and terrorists.

    Years ago when I was on TheBus, a fight broke out in the bus. Fortunately in our case the people hollered, the big burly bus driver stopped the vehicle and promptly kicked off the two fighters.

    Perhaps the two fighters were fighting because one was trying to steal the other's IPOD. In my nephew's case (the first incident), they were both thrown off when my nephew was fighting off the person trying to steal his IPOD.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    K-Town
    Posts
    2,497

    Default Re: Be Careful When Riding "The Bus"

    We should all be thankful that law & order is breaking down slowly in the USA, as it is throughout the world. Jail sentences have become lighter, and jail circumstances have become nearly comfy with TV, Gymnasium, Basketball Courts, Weight Rooms, Hot Food, Blankets, Clothing, etc, etc.

    I'm sorry for your nephew, but he is merely a small symptom of a much larger problem that is slowly brewing in America.

    The USA incarcerates more people than any other nation. Except for the ridiculous War on Drugs, this reality should be viewed as a good thing. Unfortunately, 1/2 of America thinks the assailants just need more therapy, or had a tough childhood, or it's the school system fault, or some other mumbo jumbo. Meanwhile your nephew is so scared he won't even say anything to protect himself.

    The criminals know this. In fact, they depend upon it.
    FutureNewsNetwork.com
    Energy answers are already here.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna
    Posts
    8,415

    Default Re: Be Careful When Riding "The Bus"

    Well this may be cause for more busses but I honestly feel that bus riders should be safely seated and not standing in a moving vehicle. If everyone had their space in a seat it would be harder for someone to assault another.

    It's amazing we have a seatbelt law but when it comes to public transportation, it's okay to be unfastened while riding a bus with more mass to throw you down the aisles.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Be Careful When Riding "The Bus"

    There are certain things you need to do when using public transportation, and most of it really is common sense:

    Don't have anything valuable visible (besides things like iPods, it means the expensive watches, necklaces, rings, etc.). If you have to wear a ring with fancy (expensive) stones, turn the ring so the stones are facing the inside of your palm and only the plain band part shows.

    Be aware of your surroundings and the people nearby. Be especially wary on crowded buses and anyone who "bumps" into you.

    Women: If you carry a purse, try to get one with straps that go across your chest; don't casually drape your purse straps over your shoulder unless you have your hand firmly on the purse because it's easy to snatch your purse if you carry it this way. Also, keep it closed tightly. If someone does try to snatch your purse, the best thing is to try to dump all of the contents on the ground. The thief will then either only grab your wallet or your cash and leave everything else behind. Don't keep your IDs and credit cards in the same place as your money (i.e., have a separate holder for your ID and credit cards and another for your cash).

    On a bus, definitely try to sit up as close to the driver as possible. If getting off the bus in an isolated area at night, go to the next stop if you're by yourself and you see more than one other person standing at your stop waiting to get on the bus.

    I had my purse snatched in Boston right outside my apartment once. The tips above are what I learned from the police.

    Miulang

    P.S,. Oh yeah, don't go into "bad" places of town at night. If you really have to, make sure all your doors are locked and your windows are rolled up. And women: don't put your purse on the front passenger seat, especially if you have that window rolled down. Anyone could reach in and snatch your purse if your car is stopped at a stopsign or traffic light.
    Last edited by Miulang; December 13th, 2006 at 09:25 AM.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    K-Town
    Posts
    2,497

    Default Re: Be Careful When Riding "The Bus"

    A self-defense course that emphasizes the feet, and the fingernails, as a weapon will go a long way towards empowering individuals.

    Just taking a course like that will cause you to carry yourself differently which gives subliminal messages that say "dont f w/ me". Most assailants are looking for easy targets.
    FutureNewsNetwork.com
    Energy answers are already here.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna
    Posts
    8,415

    Default Re: Be Careful When Riding "The Bus"

    Quote Originally Posted by Miulang View Post

    I had my purse snatched in Boston right outside my apartment once. The tips above are what I learned from the police. Miulang.
    I got a better idea on purse snatchings. Put a grendade in your purse with a string attached to the pin and the other end tied to your finger.

    Thief snatches your purse, he runs while you loudly count down from Five then duck and cover. Street justice and one less piece of garbage to walk the streets of hometown USA.

  21. #21

    Default Re: Be Careful When Riding "The Bus"

    Quote Originally Posted by timkona View Post
    A self-defense course that emphasizes the feet, and the fingernails, as a weapon will go a long way towards empowering individuals.

    Just taking a course like that will cause you to carry yourself differently which gives subliminal messages that say "dont f w/ me". Most assailants are looking for easy targets.
    You don't even really need to take a course. When I used to go to NYC by myself and walk and take the trains around mid town (and even the Upper East Side), I just tried to look like I knew where I was going and what I was doing...basically looking straight ahead and moving fast. Criminals can kind of sense who is a potential victim by the way you carry yourself and the best targets are the people who amble around, looking up at the skyscrapers with their mouths agape.

    Miulang

  22. #22

    Default Re: Be Careful When Riding "The Bus"

    Quote Originally Posted by timkona View Post
    The USA incarcerates more people than any other nation. Except for the ridiculous War on Drugs, this reality should be viewed as a good thing. Unfortunately, 1/2 of America thinks the assailants just need more therapy, or had a tough childhood, or it's the school system fault, or some other mumbo jumbo. Meanwhile your nephew is so scared he won't even say anything to protect himself.

    The criminals know this. In fact, they depend upon it.
    I'm all for bringing back corporal punishment. It's not inhumane when the person commits a crime and is convicted. We've gone too far left with the whole human rights issue.

  23. #23

    Default Re: Be Careful When Riding "The Bus"

    Quote Originally Posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    Well this may be cause for more busses but I honestly feel that bus riders should be safely seated and not standing in a moving vehicle. If everyone had their space in a seat it would be harder for someone to assault another.

    It's amazing we have a seatbelt law but when it comes to public transportation, it's okay to be unfastened while riding a bus with more mass to throw you down the aisles.
    Come on, you mean you don't like it when it gets packed like a can of sardines? How about those 3rd world places where they even have peeps on the roofs of the buses? Maybe a discount if you ride the roof?

    Maybe if we started using doubledecker buses? So you don't increase the number of vehicles clogging the road, but you do have more seats. Only prob is, I don't think our road infrastructure (traffic lights, etc.) have that built in height.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    'Ewa Beach, O'ahu
    Posts
    534

    Smile Re: Be Careful When Riding "The Bus"

    I will be more careful when I am riding "The Bus" because it is my only transportation. Thank you for the warning about not displaying your I-POD or your CD player out in the open. I always try to sit in the middle of the bus or in the front of the bus so that the bus driver can see me.
    Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)

  25. #25

    Default Re: Be Careful When Riding "The Bus"

    How many times did he get punched in the face?
    I wonder if he did know the culprits but dont want to tell because of getting more punches. If it was a class bully maybe the other people on the bus didnt want to step up either.
    This story sort of reminds me of a kid who hung out at my shop alot. a good kid, I found out recently that someone ask him to 'borrow' his cell phone.
    he could have jumped up and said something but instead he handed over his cell phone and didnt say anything for months. I think it might even be a reason why he dropped out of school to be homeschooled.
    Aquaponics in Paradise !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •