Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Be Careful When Riding "The Bus"

Default Re: Be Careful When Riding "The Bus"

So we should all buy cars we cannot afford and clog up more of the roads just because it isn't safe to ride public transportation in Mel's opinion?? Geeze???

I'm very sorry what happened, I am almost certain one of the news stations will carry this story if your nephew is willing to talk. If he does talk it will be a good thing because if anything it will hopefully make the busdrivers and passengers more aware of what is going on around them.

I've had several problems with drivers and passengers over the years, one why do I have to at nearly 35 years of age give up my seat to a elderly passenger when there are 10 other teenagers on the bus who wont give up their seat?? Why do I have to stand and hold the railing thing with my two toddlers on a packed bus while teenagers or college students sit on their butts and dont offer seats to me or other passengers?

One day I was sitting down on the bus with a large betamachine which weighs a ton I had to take it to Sony at Mapunapuna, an elderly man asked me to give up my seat which I did and found another seat, then a handicapped person came on and told me to give up my seat, I then asked why can't these teenage kids give up their seat for the elderly man or handicapped person, why do I always have to give up my seat? The old man cussed me out, the handicap person shook his fist at me and the driver kicked me off the bus!! Three years later and 50 pounds ago I now walk everywhere I can and only take the bus if I absolutely have to. On Friday it took me over 2 hours to wait for (and arrive at my destination) a bus on School Street to take me to the Convention Center where I nearly missed the 6pm closing of the Marathon Expo. With that being said I support mass transit 100% whether it's buses, trains, ferries, etc.

KalihiBoy

Quote Originally Posted by Hellbent View Post
    How many times did he get punched in the face?
    I wonder if he did know the culprits but dont want to tell because of getting more punches. If it was a class bully maybe the other people on the bus didnt want to step up either.
    This story sort of reminds me of a kid who hung out at my shop alot. a good kid, I found out recently that someone ask him to 'borrow' his cell phone.
    he could have jumped up and said something but instead he handed over his cell phone and didnt say anything for months. I think it might even be a reason why he dropped out of school to be homeschooled.
    He got punched once in the face from what I understand...which was only after he struggled to hold on to the Ipod. No, he didn't know the kid. He vaguely recalls another kid on the bus saying "I think that guy goes to my school" but he didn't know that other kid either (different schools I presume).
    By the way...I too support mass transit options.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalihiboy View Post
    If he does talk it will be a good thing because if anything it will hopefully make the busdrivers and passengers more aware of what is going on around them.

KalihiBoy
    KalihiBoy: If he DOES decide to talk, I think it would be good as well.

People DO need to pay more attention to their surroundings whether it's on The Bus or on a side street in Waikiki. They also need to speak out when they see something happening...whether it's alerting The Bus driver by yelling, tripping the assailant as they attempt to run out of the bus, call 911 or whatever.

I agree with you that not enough younger people give up their seats to the elderly and disabled. Where is common courtesy? Or has that gone out the window even here in our beautiful state?

Being in any crowded public place puts people at risk. Being in your own vehicle you are in your own little space without having to put up with the nuances of being exposed, sometimes too closely to those in the public.

Certainly there are risks being in your own vehicle too, but if something bad happens to you, then it is only you that is effected in that vehicle. If something bad happens in a bus or train, then more people are effected.

Certainly bringing this topic up got people to think about it, even if they are opposed (as usual) to my view. I'm certainly not stopping any of the bus riders from continuing to use transit and I certainly am not forcing anyone to buy a vehicle they can't afford. To each his own. I prefer to be in my own car and from all of the traffic we have, most people prefer to be in their's too. Even the rail supporters who drive to work and public hearings to testify in favor of rail and high taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by mel View Post
    Being in any crowded public place puts people at risk. Being in your own vehicle you are in your own little space without having to put up with the nuances of being exposed, sometimes too closely to those in the public.
    Based on this logic, that mass transit is responsible for criminal assault, we should bring all air transportation to an end. Too much risk from terrorism. Too much potential for disaster both in the air and on the ground.

From now on everyone travels by boat. No luggage. No personal effects at all except your passport or ID. And you're handed a jumpsuit to wear on board.

And as for getting to work everyday: walk. Too many nasty auto accidents so cars are not an option. Not to mention the environmental harm they cause. And mass transit is too dangerous! Too far to walk? Too bad. Find another job.

What really happened was that this kid was a victim of a crime. Robbed and assaulted. Why blame the kid for just trying to get home? And pointing a finger at mass transit is like blaming Boeing for the 9/11 tragedy, saying they built planes that are too large and too powerful.

People have a right to go through life unmolested. Where were all the people around this poor victim when it happened? Why didn't anyone intervene immediately and prevent the attack or at least detain the perps? Go after the instigators and make them pay. Better still, catch these guys in the act and beat the living cr__ out of them on the spot. Make them understand what a victim goes through by turning the tables on them.

After all, the justice system will probably give them a proverbial slap on the wrist. Better to give them a few scars as a permanent souvenir.

As I watch this thread, I can only think... have we, as a society, sunk to such levels that a robbery can openly take place on a bus, and nobody does a thing? And, have we become so alien to, and afraid of, other people in our neighborhoods and towns that we feel we must hunker down alone in our cars to avoid contact with other humans?

Strange stuff. Strange stuff, indeed.

Dick your opinion as well as the others are so noted.

In the case of air travel, there isn't much choice for the public unless they could own and fly their own planes. Most can't as you well know and if we need to go to another place (especially in Hawaii), flying is the only practical choice.

There are certainly risks when the public flies. You put all of your trust into the safety record of the airline you are flying on and the aircraft that it flies. The risk of terrorism is great on the airlines, hence the increased security the public has to go through everytime they fly.

Perhaps the kind of security measures used for airlines need to be applied to mass transit systems. I remember hearing the call for more security after trains were bombed in Spain and England. Of course transit planners don't want any of this because it would reduce the value of mass transit since it would slow commute times.

Just like the fact that govenments allow a double standard on the roads... all passengers (in Hawaii) travelling in personal vehicles must use seatbelts. Passengers in mass transit have no seat belt requirements and are allowed to be packed in like sardines to a point where many have to stand. To me that is also not very safe if a mass transit vehicle crashes.

I wonder how many lives could be saved on busses or trains that crash if there were a seatbelt requirement?

On the road we have the choice to choose between our personal vehicles and mass transit. So far most people choose their own vehicles.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Quote Originally Posted by dick View Post
    As I watch this thread, I can only think... have we, as a society, sunk to such levels that a robbery can openly take place on a bus, and nobody does a thing? And, have we become so alien to, and afraid of, other people in our neighborhoods and towns that we feel we must hunker down alone in our cars to avoid contact with other humans?

Strange stuff. Strange stuff, indeed.
    Not me! I fight back! It's a shame when others don't give a damn. I feel outraged reading what happened to your nephew. I feel he should report it. Better yet, I'll call "The Bus" and let them know that the incident occurred. It is only right they know.

What Dick is saying is the awful truth. But it doesn't have to be this way. Don't be afraid. Gosh! Remember...we live in America. Men and Women are dying everyday so we can live in FREEDOM not in FEAR!!!

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna

So if the bus was on a federally funded highway or at the airport when the robbery occured, would it then be considered a felony?

Angry Re: Be Careful When Riding "The Bus"

Quote Originally Posted by 1stwahine View Post
    Not me! I fight back! It's a shame when others don't give a damn. I feel outraged reading what happened to your nephew. I feel he should report it. Better yet, I'll call "The Bus" and let them know that the incident occurred. It is only right they know.

What Dick is saying is the awful truth. But it doesn't have to be this way. Don't be afraid. Gosh! Remember...we live in America. Men and Women are dying everyday so we can live in FREEDOM not in FEAR!!!

Auntie Lynn
    Lynn,

I agree that he SHOULD report it, but he's not ready yet to do so. If he hadn't been in a daze from the punch in the face, maybe he would have fought back by chasing the guy. My nephew is long and lanky (6'2, 160) and the assailant was about 100 lbs. heavier.

God Bless those that fight for our freedoms. And the thugs better roast in hell!

Quote Originally Posted by alohacandy View Post
    Lynn,

I agree that he SHOULD report it, but he's not ready yet to do so. If he hadn't been in a daze from the punch in the face, maybe he would have fought back by chasing the guy. My nephew is long and lanky (6'2, 160) and the assailant was about 100 lbs. heavier.

God Bless those that fight for our freedoms. And the thugs better roast in hell!
    I didn't have the exact date, time, etc. The main thing, I had the information you shared. To me it was enough. I submitted a report.

Lynn

I didn't have the exact date, time, etc. The main thing, I had the information you shared. To me it was enough. I submitted a report. Lynn
    Auntie, you are to be commended, because you stepped in to help the boy when his own parents would do nothing. The parents could have made a complaint about how the assaults were handled to the Chief of Police (which is different than making a report of a crime), complained to the Mayor's office, and to TheBus ..... by letter, phone or email. But is sounds as if they have a list of excuses why it is inconvenient for them.

Auntie Lynn = 1 point
    Kid's parents = zero

Quote Originally Posted by SouthKona View Post
    Auntie, you are to be commended, because you stepped in to help the boy when his own parents would do nothing. The parents could have made a complaint about how the assaults were handled to the Chief of Police (which is different than making a report of a crime), complained to the Mayor's office, and to TheBus ..... by letter, phone or email. But is sounds as if they have a list of excuses why it is inconvenient for them.

Auntie Lynn = 1 point
    Kid's parents = zero

Thanks to Lynn for the report.
    My sis told me today that she made a report to someone who is the head of The Bus Customer Service. He was going to try to find out which Bus it occurred on by the info she was able to give him.

Alohacandy, that is great! Main thing is that the there are improvements in the SYSTEM so that further incidents of mishandling by TheBus and/or police do not occur - to anyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Composite 2992 View Post
    And as for getting to work everyday: walk. Too many nasty auto accidents so cars are not an option. Not to mention the environmental harm they cause. And mass transit is too dangerous! Too far to walk? Too bad. Find another job.
    I think that driving tests should be tougher. Maybe have everyone take a mandatory driving test every few years. As I drive around, I am astounded by how bad some people drive. Those people who, as soon as the light turns green, turn accross you as you start to go, people who force their car into your lane to merge, when theres no cars behind you, people who dont know how to merge. also, blinkers exist for a reason!
    In another post I suggested we raise the driving age.

I also am willing to bet that if rail becomes a reality I bet there will be an increased tax on cars to try to get more people to use the rail/buses, if the price of gasoline doesnt do it.
    Aquaponics in Paradise !

I also am willing to bet that if rail becomes a reality I bet there will be an increased tax on cars to try to get more people to use the rail/buses, if the price of gasoline doesnt do it.
    I'm sure that is what all the rail supporters want. They want to force us out of our cars. I hope you and all the other rail supporters celebrate in having more money taken away from your pockets to support this huge boondoggle.

Remember in 2007 the GE Tax is going up and so are property taxes, the GE on gasoline (being re-implemented).... what else? When will the madness stop?

I think that driving tests should be tougher.
    [...]In another post I suggested we raise the driving age.[...]
    Many, many posts ago I stated my view on driving. That is, a teen who has passed stringent testing receives his/her driver's license along with his/her high school diploma at graduation. The license shouldn't be effective 'til 2 days after graduation (and all the parties!). No diploma...no driver's license.

My dentist and I recently discussed this topic and his idea is to give the test in English only as all the street and highway signs are in English only. IOW, foreign residents must have a basic understanding of our language to be able to drive.

Making the priviledge of driving tougher, including for the elderly, just might cut back on accidents, not to mention traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
    My dentist and I recently discussed this topic and his idea is to give the test in English only as all the street and highway signs are in English only. IOW, foreign residents must have a basic understanding of our language to be able to drive.
    Except I seem to recall that now all new streets in Hawaii (or C&C of Honolulu) must be named a Hawaiian name ... am I right about this, anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by SouthKona View Post
    Except I seem to recall that now all new streets in Hawaii (or C&C of Honolulu) must be named a Hawaiian name ... am I right about this, anyone know?
    It was a city ordinance for new streets in the City of Honolulu.

It was great seeing today AlohaCandy! Wow! You look TERRIFIC!

Lynn

It was great seeing today AlohaCandy! Wow! You look TERRIFIC!

Lynn
    LOL Great seeing you as well! As always...you looked terrific too. Antonio was as cute as ever.

Checking out The Bus website, looks like they are discontinuing many stops and supposedly establishing newer, safer ones. But I don't see any new stops established in the two links? Talk about service going down the tube!!!

http://www.thebus.org/updates/CC_Bus...entProject.asp

The City is realigning bus stop placement for safer streets and more efficient bus service. As a result, the bus stops throughout Oahu will be discontinued from service and many new safer bus stops will be established.

How'd I get so white and nerdy?

That's great that the bus driver was notified of the attack and responded appropriately. Still scarey about safety issues on The Bus.

Some thoughts:

* Don't be afraid to yell for help. If a scuffle occurs near you, even on a bus, it's hard to suss out what's going on. But if one person is yelling for help, you quickly know what the problem is.

* You often must force public officials into acting. They won't do it on their own. Write letters to the editor, call radio stations when stuff like this occurs. Embarrass them.

* Sounds like the drivers dispose of the problem instead of dealing with it. They could also KEEP the perps on the bus and call ahead so that there is a police car waiting at the next stop.

* Use the cameras in your cell phones!
    Burl Burlingame
    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
    honoluluagonizer.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast