Children With Asthma...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Children With Asthma...

I actually don't smoke around kids with asthma problems. I try to be sympathatic to them. I'm rarely around them, not drinking, and it's not a bar, so I can cope. Besides they are not always able to consent and are not adults.

I saw an the news tonight that 1 in 6 kids have asthma in a valley in central California due to outside air pollution. That's not good. Wow, and California is a hard core "smoke free" state. Maybe they should ban cars and close all the factories California's government might do it the way they think.

Comment

This Vog is Bad! What makes it worse is having Adults who knowningly SMOKE near children.

Yeah, even if they smoke outside of the hale they still carry the stinking smell on their clothes, bodies, whatevas!

I rushed my grandson again to the emergency room. His chest like a Pigeon. I was helpless once again. My little one is Asthmatic.

He suffers when the weather is bad.

He suffers when inconsiderate Adults SMOKE near him.

There should be Antonio's Law.

A law where Children have a right to breathe CLEAN AIR!
      Last edited by 1stwahine; April 24, 2008, 08:57 AM.
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

both of my kids take turns with the nebulizer (also known as "the machine" by my folks, too). They use albuterol and pulmicort in the nebulizer when needed - thankfully, they don't get really bad attacks. Hubby usually is on them with "the machine" at the first sign of cough/wheezing! My daughter also takes a singulair capsule daily.

Now, the doc thinks my hubby may have asthma! argh - now he's on "the machine" too!
        I'd rather be ... LOST

sigpic

Comment

Auntie, GOD BLESS you for yet another reason...and be with you as you continue to kick butt with the not smoking.

My hubby quit 3 or 4 "Octobers ago" but for maybe ten years before that he smoked only outside and not in the truck or car with us. I so very much honor people that keep it away from others.
          Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Aloha e Lynn!

My son suffered from astma when he was about 3 y.o.,then he outgrown it.

As a reliever I have used 'Ventolin'-you may have similiar product in USA http://www.gsk.com.au/products_presc...l.aspx?view=29

This will also help your grandson:

• Severe as it sounds, your pets(if you have any) may have to go. Animal hair, fluff, and fur are some of the leading causes of asthma. At the very least, keep furry pets out of the carpeted areas of the house.

• Keep your grandson's room as dust-free as possible. It's not really the dust itself that's the problem, but dust mites. Dust mites survive and thrive on minute particles of human skin. Things you can try to keep the mites at bay include pulling up the carpets and covering hardwood floors with rugs, making sure bedding and pillows are not made from feathers, cleaning frequently to keep dust to a minimum, and washing all bedding frequently in hot water. Put stuffed toys in the washing machine frequently, too.

• Let your grandson spend as much time outdoors as possible. Wrap him up when it's cold, or put on sunscreen and a hat when it's hot; then go outside.

• As asthma is more common in homes with gas cookers, use a fan when you're cooking with a gas hob.

• Avoid using your fireplace or wood stove if you have one. Although the warmth is inviting, the smoke may irritate your grandson respiratory system.

Hope he feels better!

Comment

Mahalo Karen and Kleo.

I'm in the middle of "general cleaning" my hale. heheheh My computa was shut-off but I turned it on foa a lil while.

K-den. Here's some information I found from the American Lung Association Website on Second Hand Smoking.
              http://www.lungusa.org/site/pp.asp?c=dvLUK9O0E&b=35422

"Secondhand smoke is especially harmful to young children. Secondhand smoke is responsible for between 150,000 and 300,000 lower respiratory tract infections in infants and children under 18 months of age, resulting in between 7,500 and 15,000 hospitalizations each year, and causes 430 sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) deaths in the United States annually.

Secondhand smoke exposure may cause buildup of fluid in the middle ear, resulting in 790,000 physician office visits per year. Secondhand smoke can also aggravate symptoms in 400,000 to 1,000,000 children with asthma.

In the United States, 21 million, or 35 percent of, children live in homes where residents or visitors smoke in the home on a regular basis. Approximately 50-75 percent of children in the United States have detectable levels of cotinine, the breakdown product of nicotine in the blood."

Love and ALOHA,

Auntie Lynn
              Last edited by 1stwahine; April 25, 2008, 12:41 PM. Reason: Ooops! Took out the 10. :)
              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Auntie, this part....got me to wondering if maybe the dang VOG we suffer can also affect our inner-ears.

"Secondhand smoke exposure may cause buildup of fluid in the middle ear, resulting in 790,000 physician office visits per year.10 Secondhand smoke can also aggravate symptoms in 400,000 to 1,000,000 children with asthma."

I know the molds and mildews can.
                Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Working...
                X