Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 155

Thread: Obama Watch

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Really God's country, Puna Hawaii
    Posts
    219

    Default Obama Watch

    Does anybody know if Barak Obama is in town for the holidays? I could have
    sworn I saw him last Sunday when I took family to Honolulu Hale to see the lights. As I pulled up to the intersection by Honolulu Hale a group of folks walked in crosswalk in front of us leaving H.H. That is where I thought I saw Barak Obama, and if it wasn't it was his twin brother!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Smokin' in da windward crib
    Posts
    6,721

    Default Re: Obama Watch

    Yes, he got here last Saturday, as I recall. You can look at the websites of the Star-Bulletin and the Advertiser and read the stories.
    For instance: http://starbulletin.com/2006/12/20/news/story10.html and also http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...0372/1171/NEWS
    Last edited by LikaNui; December 20th, 2006 at 06:47 PM.
    .
    .

    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Honolulu
    Posts
    582

    Default Re: Obama Watch

    His middle name is Hussein. The same as good old Saddam. Interesting.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Seattle WA
    Posts
    666

    Default Re: Obama Watch

    Quote Originally Posted by AlohaKine View Post
    His middle name is Hussein. The same as good old Saddam. Interesting.
    And? I suppose you have some glib punchline for that.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Oahu
    Posts
    53

    Default Re: Obama Watch

    Quote Originally Posted by AlohaKine View Post
    His middle name is Hussein. The same as good old Saddam. Interesting.
    Educate yourself AlohaKine so I don't have to do it for you:
    http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/n...ic-naming2.htm - Arabic naming conventions

    Also, Hussein is a relatively common name within Arabic. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Husayn_%28name%29

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Oahu, Hawai'i
    Posts
    224

    Thumbs down Re: Obama Watch

    Quote Originally Posted by AlohaKine View Post
    His middle name is Hussein. The same as good old Saddam. Interesting.
    Wak Wak Wak Wak!!!!!
    Tayo

    FINALLY HOME IN HAWAI'I!

    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    Mark Twain

  7. #7

    Default Re: Obama Watch

    Quote Originally Posted by Beachboy View Post
    Does anybody know if Barak Obama is in town for the holidays? I could have
    sworn I saw him last Sunday when I took family to Honolulu Hale to see the lights. As I pulled up to the intersection by Honolulu Hale a group of folks walked in crosswalk in front of us leaving H.H. That is where I thought I saw Barak Obama, and if it wasn't it was his twin brother!
    Nice, is there still a 25 million dollar reward for information on him?

    /I kid, I kid!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,928

    Default Re: Obama Watch

    http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...870192564.html
    Abercrombie and other Hawai'i-based Obama supporters are scheduled to hold the press conference in front of the Prince Kuhio Federal Building at 12:30 p.m
    TODAY!!!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Smokin' in da windward crib
    Posts
    6,721

    Default Re: Obama Watch

    Quote Originally Posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
    TODAY!!!
    Why the excitement? All "today" is about is a group of Obama's supporters urging him to run. No announcement from the man himself.
    Unless it's Abercrombie that you're excited about. In which case, I recommend medication.
    .
    .

    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,928

    Default Re: Obama Watch

    Quote Originally Posted by LikaNui View Post
    Why the excitement? All "today" is about is a group of Obama's supporters urging him to run. No announcement from the man himself.
    Unless it's Abercrombie that you're excited about. In which case, I recommend medication.
    Well 3 Newstations were there as well as both Newspapers...
    (as well as a youtube reporter )
    So I guess someones interested...

    That youtube reporter asked two important questions.... who would be a good running mate....and when would the official announcement be made...

    Abercrombie was nill on the first question and said that it would probably be on Oprah when he does make the announcement.... Abercrombie also predicted that it would be the most watched Oprah Winfrey EVER!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Honolulu
    Posts
    582

    Default Re: Obama Watch

    Quote Originally Posted by Deep Thought View Post
    Educate yourself AlohaKine so I don't have to do it for you:
    http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/n...ic-naming2.htm - Arabic naming conventions

    Also, Hussein is a relatively common name within Arabic. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Husayn_%28name%29
    I didn't say I was for him or against him or Arabs for that matter. They said the same thing on KSSK, kind of made me laugh. Not a big deal. And yes I know it is a common name, but the name's still the same.
    Last edited by AlohaKine; December 28th, 2006 at 01:31 PM.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Smokin' in da windward crib
    Posts
    6,721

    Default Re: Obama Watch

    Quote Originally Posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
    Well 3 Newstations were there as well as both Newspapers...
    (as well as a youtube reporter ) So I guess someones interested.
    Obviously a slow news day. A very very slow news day.

    That youtube reporter asked two important questions.... who would be a good running mate....and when would the official announcement be made.
    How would that group know when an announcement would be made? They're not part of Obama's camp. They might as well have asked them if Elvis was still alive, too. Or where Jimmy Hoffa is buried.

    Abercrombie was nill on the first question and said that it would probably be on Oprah when he does make the announcement.
    "Probably"? He's just guessing. Again, not newsworthy.
    Last edited by LikaNui; December 28th, 2006 at 02:06 PM.
    .
    .

    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    No. California
    Posts
    2,556

    Default Re: Obama Watch

    When a US congressman calls a news conference, reporters will attend - its a given.

    As for the others there - actually they ARE part of Obama's "camp" as you called it. They are part of a nation wide, grass roots campaign to convince Obama to run.
    My current & former state reps. are part of the group.

    Obama has said he will announce his decision next week when he returns to Washington, DC - he didn't say anything about Oprah though I would hope he would be a little more dignified than that.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Wah-key'-key
    Posts
    10,390

    Default Re: Obama Watch

    For those who care...a repeat of Obama on Oprah is currently airing on KHON. It'll probably repeat again tonight. 11p, I think.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,928

    Default Re: Obama Watch

    Quote Originally Posted by anapuni808 View Post
    Obama has said he will announce his decision next week when he returns to Washington, DC - he didn't say anything about Oprah though I would hope he would be a little more dignified than that.
    Abercrombie seemed pretty sure that if he announced.... it would be on oprah...

    Why not? It's taped in his home state...and He himself already told the U.S. People on Oprah that if he did decide... that he would say it on Oprah....

    Are you watching OPRAH now?

  16. #16
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Smokin' in da windward crib
    Posts
    6,721

    Default Re: Obama Watch

    Quote Originally Posted by anapuni808 View Post
    As for the others there - actually they ARE part of Obama's "camp" as you called it. They are part of a nation wide, grass roots campaign to convince Obama to run.
    Yes. They're trying to "convince" him to run. Doesn't make them part of his camp. Unless they're officially part of his campaign team and unless they're officially speaking on his behalf, then they're not part of his "camp"... they're just "camp followers".
    Anyway.
    Carry on.
    .
    .

    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    No. California
    Posts
    2,556

    Default Re: Obama Watch

    well, excuse the H*** out of me.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,928

    Default Re: Obama Watch

    KHON just showed footage of the event...

    They also made reference to Oprah.


  19. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Honolulu, HI, USA
    Posts
    7,325

    Default Re: Obama Watch

    Quote Originally Posted by anapuni808 View Post
    When a US congressman calls a news conference, reporters will attend - its a given.
    This is probably true. Which is kind of sad. Abercrombie calls press conferences more often than most men change their socks. He's always got something to say on the hot issue of the day, qualified or relevant or not. He's like the Charles Djou of our Democratic congressional delegation.

    And I have no doubt that there is some level of orchestration between Obama's "real" camp and this ostensibly but transparenly orchestrated "grass roots campaign" to push Obama to run. He has to be the reluctant candidate. Ambition isn't part of the image Obama is trying to hone in the public's eye.

    How he will announce is the question. I too think Oprah is a bit off. John Edwards grabbed the early limelight this week and went the "netroots" way (courting bloggers and YouTube and wannabe web wonks, a la Howard Dean... which may not bode well for his actual prospects in actual politics), so the question is what tack Obama will take. Obviously announcing in Hawaii would be a bad idea, but Oprah doesn't sound much better.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Seattle WA
    Posts
    666

    Default Re: Obama Watch

    I look at this whole fiasco and shake my head.

    The dude's here on vacation. Leave him alone. While I suppose he could pass as a "celebrity," there's nothing really all that special about him...yet.

    And if anyone thinks he gives a crap what local politicians "want him to do" they are really underestimating the guy. I'd suspect he's watching all this and laughing his ass off.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,928

  22. #22

    Default Re: Obama Watch

    Quote Originally Posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
    Abercrombie seemed pretty sure that if he announced.... it would be on oprah...

    Why not? It's taped in his home state...and He himself already told the U.S. People on Oprah that if he did decide... that he would say it on Oprah....

    Are you watching OPRAH now?
    Frankly, I have grown more than a bit tired of Oprah-mania.

    She may have been something worth bothering with, in the early years. She has now become the Mistress of Mixed Messages.

    "Love yourself for what you are!" "Hey, look how good this fat bitch looks after her make-over/liposuction/face-lift/six month personal trainer boot camp!"

    "America is doomed, thanks to personal debt!" "Woohoooo---everyone in the audience gets a free 'Oprah's favorites' basket, complete with a $600 cashmere sweater! Now jump up and down and SCREAM!"

    And who gives a damn about her best friend's oh-so-wise opinions on life?

    Can you say "coattails," Gayle? I thought you could.

    Oprah is just soooo "real folk."

    Yeah, sure. Ask her about the Hermes incident in Paris.

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...062302086.html

    Most of us, when confronted with a "Sorry, We're Closed" sign, would simply mutter an expletive and head somewhere else.

    If Obama announces his intention to run for President on the Oprah show I would harbor sincere doubts about his insight and judgement capabilities.
    Last edited by WindwardOahuRN; December 29th, 2006 at 01:40 PM.

  23. #23

    Default Re: Obama Watch

    Quote Originally Posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
    And who gives a damn about her best friend's oh-so-wise opinions on life? Can you say "coattails," Gail? I thought you could.
    Gail who? What's this about?

    Some aspects of life really do work smoother when you extend the concept of the "ignore" function to the rest of the world.

    (Those are rhetorical questions, btw; I don't really desire additional details.)

  24. #24

    Default Re: Obama Watch

    Quote Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    Gail who? What's this about?

    Some aspects of life really do work smoother when you extend the concept of the "ignore" function to the rest of the world.
    LOL...yep. And so, my television is tuned to "Jeopardy!" or a music channel when 4 pm rolls around, HST.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,671

    Default Re: Obama Watch

    while working on my computer, i typically have the tv on and saw obama on oprah last night and he did come across as a level headed guy trying to do good.

    if the image he's projecting is accurate, he'd be the last person to want people gawking at him and making a fuss over him. he's got two daughters and he claims they (along with his wife) keep him grounded.

    time will tell if he lives up to the image or if he'll turn into another professional politician with all characteristics that money can buy...
    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •