This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Obama Watch

Just to keep things in perspective, I look at Reagan's EIGHT years as the CHIEF EXECUTIVE of the nation's most populous state more favorably than Obama's short time in the Senate.

Likewise, Harold Stassen's liberal politics did not contribute to him becoming a perennial candidate as he was in-step with the GOP majority. Stassen's star just faded away. Conservatives were NOT in control of the Republicans back then: their "favorite son," Ohio Senator Robert Taft, was defeated for the nomination by Dwight Eisenhower in 1952 as the more liberal wing of the GOP held power. The conservatives didn't get control until 1964 with Goldwater, and they only took 39% of the popular vote in the LBJ landslide.

Recent history has shown that our two parties rarely re-nominate candidates who lose the general election. Exceptions include Thomas Dewey ('44, '48), Adlai Stevenson ('52, '56), Richard Nixon ('60, '68). Walter Mondale, VP under Jimmy Carter, was on the losing ticket in '80, but got the presidential nomination in '84. Losing standard-bearers Bob Dole, Al Gore, and John Kerry have not sought re-nomination.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
      Just to keep things in perspective, I look at Reagan's EIGHT years as the CHIEF EXECUTIVE of the nation's most populous state more favorably than Obama's short time in the Senate.
      Everybody's entitled to an opinion. Not everyone thought that Reagan was a great governor.

Likewise, Harold Stassen's liberal politics did not contribute to him becoming a perennial candidate as he was in-step with the GOP majority. Stassen's star just faded away. Conservatives were NOT in control of the Republicans back then: their "favorite son," Ohio Senator Robert Taft, was defeated for the nomination by Dwight Eisenhower in 1952 as the more liberal wing of the GOP held power.
      Eisenhower's politics may not have been considered ultra-conservative by 1950s standards, but he could hardly be labeled a "liberal." Ike was a segregationist. He disagreed with the Brown v. Topeka Supreme Court decision that integrated public schools. He even declared his Chief Justice appointment of Earl Warren as being one of the worst "mistakes" he made, when Warren clearly leaned to the left in his judicial rulings.

Calling Ike a liberal is just plain ridiculous. Labeling the 1950s GOP party as being liberal as a whole is also laughable. Remember, this was a party where Joseph McCarthy once wielded considerable influence in.

The conservatives didn't get control until 1964 with Goldwater, and they only took 39% of the popular vote in the LBJ landslide.
      Conservatives were in control of the GOP long before 1964. Goldwater's nomination just added an exclamation point to that.

Recent history has shown that our two parties rarely re-nominate candidates who lose the general election. Exceptions include Thomas Dewey ('44, '48), Adlai Stevenson ('52, '56), Richard Nixon ('60, '68). Walter Mondale, VP under Jimmy Carter, was on the losing ticket in '80, but got the presidential nomination in '84. Losing standard-bearers Bob Dole, Al Gore, and John Kerry have not sought re-nomination.
      On this point, you are correct. But it's not even a given that Obama will win the Democratic nomination this year, since a lady named Hillary is still hangin' in there.
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I beg to differ. Eisenhower was a moderate in the eastern "international" wing of the Republican party. Nelson Rockefeller was considered the liberal. If you recall, Ike wasn't even sure of his party affiliation as the Democrats were willing to draft him as standard-bearer!

The "conservatives" of today little resemble the right-wingers a half-century ago. In fact, the Democrats of the "solid South" morphed into today's Dixie Republicans.

Joe McCarthy? He was a demagogue disavowed by many in his own party. And to imagine he hailed from Wisconsin, home of the ultra-liberal Robert LaFollette.

Comment

I beg to differ. Eisenhower was a moderate in the eastern "international" wing of the Republican party.
          Eisenhower's politcs would have made him a "moderate" if he had been elected President,.... in 1900!

Call Eisenhower whatever you want. Just keep in mind that he was still clinging to segregationist thinking in 1952. This, at a time when all the Ivy League schools had already been integrated for decades. When professional football, basketball, and baseball was integrated. When even the army had finally started integrating combat units.

But no, Eisenhower wasn't for all that. He was still believing in the "seperate, but equal" doctrine. If he had his druthers, he would have turned the clock back on these developments.

This is your idea of being a political moderate? Oyyy!

If you recall, Ike wasn't even sure of his party affiliation as the Democrats were willing to draft him as standard-bearer!
          Yeah, probably Democrats like George Wallace.

The "conservatives" of today little resemble the right-wingers a half-century ago.
          The conservatives of today are opposed to racial quotas. The conservatives of 50 years ago didn't want to share public bathrooms with anyone outside their race.

Joe McCarthy? He was a demagogue disavowed by many in his own party.
          Only after the tide of public opinion began turning on McCarthy, when he had gone off the deep end by making wild accusations against the army. Before that happened, the GOP leadership saw fit to make him chairman of the Senate Subcommittee on Investigations, from which McCarthy was able to launch his highly publicized witch-hunts.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

New York City districts significantly underreport Obama's vote

Comment

Well now, it seems that even Democrats aren't immune to improper handling of voter counts. And that the poster child for the DNC, Hillary Clinton is turning into an embarrassment for them as well.

I hope Senator Inouye realizes his vote for Hillary is a vote for the same old same old (hey wait a minute he represents that as well). At some point in time we older generation must step aside to allow the younger generation to be heard in an ever changing world. A good percentage of young voters are expressing change in the way we conduct our government and Hillary is looking more like a mother than a model of representation for another generation of voters.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                A good percentage of young voters are expressing change in the way we conduct our government and Hillary is looking more like a mother than a model of representation for another generation of voters.
                Well she did say she's a mom first and senator second.

Black Superdelegates Shift to Obama

Comment

"Just words?"

Comment

The Obama train is going full steam now, hope nothing derails it!
                    http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...02200416/1001/
                    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
                      "Just words?"
                      The Clinton camp is getting a bit desperate, methinks. Obama and Deval Patrick are friends, political allies (who share team members), and with similar ideals, it's no surprise the two share words all the time. Patrick himself thinks the claim of plagiarism is ridiculous. And if you're going to count borrowed phrases... Well, Clinton herself has cribbed a few from Obama!

Comment

I don't think that's desperation so much as hitting the opponent where the perceived strength is. When I learned that many of Martin Luther King's best phrases were actually quotes (I wouldn't call him a plagiarist), I have to admit I was slightly deflated. Obama's amassing the troops through the strength of his oratory, not through the strength of his resume or platform, even.
                        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I caucused last night, my first time being involved in the presidential election. It felt awesome.

I grew up on Guam where we don't have a voice, on the streets nor in Capitol Hill. It was a personal victory for me to be able to finally do so.
                          ---
                          Gene

"A man can surely do what he wills to do, but cannot determine what he wills." - Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                            The Clinton camp is getting a bit desperate, methinks.
                            It's gonna start getting nasty. A blogger over at The Atlantic has posted about a creation of a 527 that is supposedly an "open secret" among high mucky-muck Clinton supporters that it's gonna be a swift-boat type thing. The may start littering Ohio and Texas with negative anti-Obama tactics. Low-class, but somehow not surprising.

Comment

Looks like he got 14 out of the 20 up for grabs last night!
                              Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                              We're not here to mess around
                              Boston, you know we love you madly
                              Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                              Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                              You know we couldn't live without you
                              Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                                The Clinton camp is getting a bit desperate, methinks.
                                Desperate, but hopefully the spin has truly gone dry.

Or not? Clinton surrogate says fellow Dems who support Obama are "latte-drinking, Prius-driving, Birkenstock-wearing, trust fund babies."
                                I only wear Birkenstocks in warm weather

CIA Operation Similar To Tactic Obama Advocated, Bush Criticized

Already, Obama's been up against both Clintons, John McCain, and George W Bush. I think he's ready to face the general election.

Comment

Working...
                                X