X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Obama Watch

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised at all if there's some heated testimony from the floor, but when it comes to a vote, you can bet both states' delegates will be allowed to sit.
    I would think this to be true, except that usually by the time we're at the convention, the party's candidate is a lock. I can't remember the last time Super Tuesday (or was it Super Duper Tuesday?) still left the race relatively open.

We've got a few more primaries to go, which means things could clear up before then, but things are so unpredictable right now, some people are actually saying Hawaii's vote may mean something. That's never happened.

If we get to the convention with a close race, I think you're going to get more than a symbolic protest to any effort to include Michigan and Florida's delegates.

Comment

Well since Inouye has decided to go with Hillary, I think she's gonna win this primary. Inouye has always been passionate about the Democratic party and will do anything to make sure it's candidate is the front runner.

When Senator Edward Kennedy chose to support Obama, that really put a crimp in the DNC as Kennedy is another staunch Democrat. This is gonna be one intense Primary pitting top Democrats against each other.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
        I would think this to be true, except that usually by the time we're at the convention, the party's candidate is a lock. I can't remember the last time Super Tuesday (or was it Super Duper Tuesday?) still left the race relatively open.

We've got a few more primaries to go, which means things could clear up before then, but things are so unpredictable right now, some people are actually saying Hawaii's vote may mean something. That's never happened.

If we get to the convention with a close race, I think you're going to get more than a symbolic protest to any effort to include Michigan and Florida's delegates.
        First posted in the 2008 election thread:

Originally posted by glossyp View Post
        ...A very interesting column from Roger Simon today which addresses the issue of Super Delegates and mentions the Michigan and Florida delegate situation - all of which could well result in what Simon describes as "a nightmare scenario" at the convention. Read the article.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
          Well since Inouye has decided to go with Hillary, I think she's gonna win this primary. Inouye has always been passionate about the Democratic party and will do anything to make sure it's candidate is the front runner.

When Senator Edward Kennedy chose to support Obama, that really put a crimp in the DNC as Kennedy is another staunch Democrat. This is gonna be one intense Primary pitting top Democrats against each other.
          Well, Inouye advised Obama from the start that it's too soon for Obama to try to run for president so perhaps (in addition to thinking that Clinton is the best candidate, which he presumably does) he's a little miffed that Obama didn't heed his advice. But I wouldn't count Obama out just because of Inouye's endorsement of Clinton.

Comment

Inouye is pledged for Clinton and would presumably cast his super delegate vote for her even if the caucuses lean the other way. Meanwhile, Abercrombie is a big fan of Obama and will most definitely put his super delegate vote behind him even if Clinton takes the majority in the caucuses on the 19th. Both are obviously playing to their strengths and reputations as party insider or outsider.

Obama is running TV ads here, but not Clinton. We're just not on the radar for the Republican party, save Ron Paul, which is oddly fascinating.

Comment

• Re: video that really moved me

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
              The inspirational feeling from this video is part and parcel of the messianic tone that has marked the Obama candidacy since early on. It's one of the reasons Slate.com started the Obama Messiah Watch back in January '07. Some are not so taken with the cult-like fervor exhibited by some of his supporters. James Wolcott, an admitted HRC supporter, blogs about this with links to other articles discussing this aspect of the Obama campaign. A quote from the post:
              Perhaps it's my atheism at work but I found myself increasingly wary of and resistant to the salvational fervor of the Obama campaign, the idealistic zeal divorced from any particular policy or cause and chariot-driven by pure euphoria. I can picture President Hillary in the White House dealing with a recalcitrant Republican faction; I can't picture President Obama in the same role because his summons to history and call to hope seems to transcend legislative maneuvers and horse-trading; his charisma is on a more ethereal plane, and I don't look to politics for transcendence and self-certification.
              Read the entire Wolcott post.

Comment

• Re: video that really moved me

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                Songwriter/Producer will.i.am (from Black Eyed Peas) & Director Jesse Dylan (Bob's son).
                Will.i.am and John Legend are currently on Larry King Live in support of Obama and a snippet of the video was aired. America Ferrera rounds out the celebrities representing youth and this election. Interesting.

Comment

An interesting post from The New Republic about the upcoming Dem primary here and whether or not Obama will be able to beat back the establishment Dems to win. One demographic detail which I was unaware of was that HRC was a 3:1 winner over Obama amongst Asian American voters in CA and NY. One amusing bit in the comments was from Rhubarbs:
                  Democrats on the Mainland should remember that the corruption of Hawaii's Democratic establishment is pretty quickly turning paradise back into a Republican state. When Marion Barry and Hawaii's Democratic machine line up behind one candidate, that should be a pretty strong indictment of that candidate. "Four out of five corrupt Democrats agree: Vote Hillary!"
                  TNR: The Plank, Obama

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp View Post
                    Originally posted by The article
                    But here's something to ponder: almost 60% of Hawaiians are Asian Americans--as Isaac pointed out, by far the most anti-Obama demographic in the United States in the primaries thus far.
                    Hopefully for Obama, this new endorsement will push the scales in his favor amongst Japanese Americans.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
                      Hopefully for Obama, this new endorsement will push the scales in his favor amongst Japanese Americans.
                      What a cool story! Thanks for the link.
                      Love the part comparing HRC to the transport vechicle named for her using the word "durable" and "able to carry up to 660 pounds..." Really funny stuff.
                      Last edited by glossyp; February 10, 2008, 07:21 AM. Reason: add info

Comment

Obama made a cameo appearance on Saturday Night Live last night (a rerun???). The audience went wild!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                          Obama made a cameo appearance on Saturday Night Live last night (a rerun???). The audience went wild!
                          Is that the one where they're at the party with all the candidates, and Bill Richardson keeps making not so subtle hints to Hillary that he wants to be vice president? If so, it's a rerun

np, glossyp!

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
                            Is that the one where they're at the party with all the candidates, and Bill Richardson keeps making not so subtle hints to Hillary that he wants to be vice president? If so, it's a rerun [...]
                            Yep, that's the one! I should've known it was a rerun because Hillary's hosting a Halloween party! Well, that, and the writers are still striking! Sure 'nuff, it aired early last Nov.

Comment

Obama WON!
                              Well, he won a Grammy Award tonight in the Spoken Word category for "The Audacity of Hope: Thoughts on Reclaiming the American Dream."

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

He also won Democratic Woman of the Year

Comment

Working...
                                X